Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bag Rack as a Passenger Seat?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 02:44 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 435 Posts

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 04-17-18 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-12-09, 03:15 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I've seen the xtra cycle and Big Dummy converting the (over sized) rear rack to a seat for a passenger and I would like to do something similar with my present commuter. It's a very strong Axiom rack.

I'm thinking of adding a cushion and some foot pegs somewhere?

Has anyone done something similar?

CE
Based on my experiences with kid seats I'd say you don't want to do it. As our kids got older and heavier, balance, handling, and safety got worse.

It works for the big dummy because the extra weight is positioned between the wheels, not on top of or behind the rear axle.
Old 03-12-09, 04:12 PM
Tyrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I used my cheap-o Nashbar steel rear rack as a seat for my wife once. She went for a run and I was tired so I pedaled along to keep her company. She got a bad cramp about 1.5 miles from the house so she hopped on the back and I gave her a ride back. This was on my Trek road bike with 700x23 tires. Bike handled like crap but it worked in a pinch. Would I do it on a regular basis? No way!

Edit: she only weighs 100#.
Old 03-12-09, 04:31 PM
nycwtorres

Bikes: Aluminum Falcon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.. because when I visit my friends in Amsterdam I often take a ride on their rack on the way to and from dinner. Their bikes are clearly more sturdy and you see people sitting on the rear racks all the time, it's quite common.
Old 03-12-09, 05:02 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
How is your rack attached? 6mm screws into brazeons? Wouldn't imagine they would take that kind of weight on a regular basis. FWIW, my teenaged sons have broken racks this way.
Old 03-13-09, 07:59 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most better racks have a weight rating on them. Keep an eye on that; and if its too cheap to have a number its too cheap to hold a person.

For foot rests try BMX pegs.
In fact try having her stand up on BMX pegs and forgo the entire rack-as-seat idea; its less likely to catastrophically fail.
Old 03-13-09, 08:10 AM
Tyrell

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Most better racks have a weight rating on them. Keep an eye on that; and if its too cheap to have a number its too cheap to hold a person.

For foot rests try BMX pegs.
In fact try having her stand up on BMX pegs and forgo the entire rack-as-seat idea; its less likely to catastrophically fail.
+1 Rock the BMX pegs!
Old 03-13-09, 11:04 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Stainless screws.
I would just like to pickup a friend from a local bus stop a mile or 2 away. She is 100#.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions for attachable (and foldable) foot rests (like on a motorcycle)
and padding (I'll likely make a cushion with plywood, foam and some fabric).

For such short distances, I can't justify a tandem bike or big dummy.I'll invest $20 for accessories but not $2-3k
Are you dong this on a regular basis? If so, then yeah, i think you can justify getting the right gear for the job. If it's just a once-in-a-while thing, why not just have her walk it? A mile or two isn't that far.
Old 03-13-09, 11:07 AM
positron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pegs lead to titties on your back
Old 03-13-09, 11:27 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't sound like a particularly safe idea to me.
Old 03-13-09, 11:33 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The dutch would just hop on the rack sidesaddle

But most of their racks are more substantial than anything found here.
Old 03-13-09, 12:08 PM
Lebowski
bikes are sexy

Bikes: [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by positron
pegs lead to titties on your back
back in middle school i used to always give girls rides home, but my excessive braking eventually put an end to my awesome BMX peg taxi service.
Old 03-13-09, 12:12 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Another consideration aside from safety is to check your local bicycle laws. Here in Washington, it's illegal to boost somebody for a ride on the rack/bars/pegs, etc.

RCW 46.61.760 Riding on bicycles.
(1) A person propelling a bicycle shall not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto. (2) No bicycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.
Old 03-13-09, 12:21 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, being an empiricist and a moron, I propped my bike up, sat sidesaddle on the rack as pictured, and bounced my ass around to test it. Thing felt solid, and I weigh about 160. I'd say that's a pretty decent limit at which either A) the rack will suffice to carry your ladyfriend, or B) you need a lighter ladyfriend.

I most certainly wouldn't go fast if I did decide to try it, and I'd prefer not to ride in traffic. But if you had to do it, it might work. The pics from the Netherlands suggest that it's not entirely fatal.

Lest I open myself up to legal liability, I cannot condone such stupidity, though I do enjoy engaging in it myself.
Old 03-15-09, 11:08 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
racks have a weight limit.

Xtracycle
&
Big Dummy

are legal to carry passengers.
the Dummy has built in foot rests
and/or
XtraCycle sells "footsies"

from a litigious view point...
if a person was to get hurt, and need medical attention
insurance is going to want to know the cause, etc...
if its something significant and the cops/ambulance shows up, a police report, etc...

you get the picture...

someone will get sued, bcz someone will have to pay the bill.
(at least that's typically how things like this play out in California)
Old 04-20-09, 02:33 AM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how strong those European/Chinese utility bike racks are, but I would imagine they aren't geared for high performance, and those can carry full size adults just fine as pictured.

I do find that most North American racks, especially the after market kind, are flimsy by comparison.

Last edited by chicbicyclist; 04-20-09 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-20-09, 06:47 AM
gascostalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Dutch bikes are built to last through a nuclear war, unlike the bikes they sell in the USA where everyone is all like 'HURRRR DURRRRRR WEIGHT SAVINGS HUURRRR!'.
Old 04-22-09, 08:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
get them a tea set while you're at it. seriously get a clue and a second bike for yuor friend.
Old 04-22-09, 08:48 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tandem.
Old 04-23-09, 04:56 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One or two rides, the typical rack would probably hold up. Doing it continuously, not unless it was designed for.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 04-23-09, 05:40 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gascostalot
Those Dutch bikes are built to last through a nuclear war, unlike the bikes they sell in the USA where everyone is all like 'HURRRR DURRRRRR WEIGHT SAVINGS HUURRRR!'.
And what sort of climbing do the Dutch have to do on their way to work?
Old 04-23-09, 06:06 AM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Irrelevant question since there are as many flat areas here(if not more since we're much, much bigger) as there are in the Netherlands. It's your choice to live in hilly areas.
Old 04-23-09, 06:29 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist
Irrelevant question since there are as many flat areas here(if not more since we're much, much bigger) as there are in the Netherlands. It's your choice to live in hilly areas.
I think what you meant to say is that there is more square mileage of flat terrain "here" (by which I assume you mean the United States -- this is not a USA-only forum, btw) than there is in the Netherlands. While that's true, it's not particularly helpful or meaningful, since the likelihood of a cyclist in the USA having a flat commute is lower than a cyclist in the Netherlands. As for the observation that it's a choice to live in hilly areas, that's just plain silly. Most people in the United States aren't independently wealthy and can't choose to simply live wherever they want to, just because they want to: they have to go where the jobs are, or where the colleges are, or where their family is, or something like that, and we can't all find those things in Kansas. Of course, I suppose we could all live in flat areas...but follow your line of reasoning: "If I live somewhere flat, I can pedal a sherman tank of a Dutch bike, giving me the benefit of being able to take a passenger on the fantail I mean the rear rack, and if I can just carry a passenger on the rear rack it will be totally worth uprooting my family and quitting my job and exercising my choice to go to this flat place."
Old 04-23-09, 06:51 AM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicbicyclist

Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I think what you meant to say is that there is more square mileage of flat terrain "here" (by which I assume you mean the United States -- this is not a USA-only forum, btw) than there is in the Netherlands. While that's true, it's not particularly helpful or meaningful, since the likelihood of a cyclist in the USA having a flat commute is lower than a cyclist in the Netherlands. As for the observation that it's a choice to live in hilly areas, that's just plain silly. Most people in the United States aren't independently wealthy and can't choose to simply live wherever they want to, just because they want to: they have to go where the jobs are, or where the colleges are, or where their family is, or something like that, and we can't all find those things in Kansas. Of course, I suppose we could all live in flat areas...but follow your line of reasoning: "If I live somewhere flat, I can pedal a sherman tank of a Dutch bike, giving me the benefit of being able to take a passenger on the fantail I mean the rear rack, and if I can just carry a passenger on the rear rack it will be totally worth uprooting my family and quitting my job and exercising my choice to go to this flat place."
No need for me to add anything. +1
Old 04-23-09, 07:34 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
(2) No bicycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.
I think this part of it's beatable. It doesn't say *originally designed and equipped* and the modifications can be construed as designed and equipped.