Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how's your "winter" going?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 08:36 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts

here in NJ, this has to be the mildest winter I can remember in recent history. I'm generally not much of a cold weather cyclist, and prefer to default to my trainer or the rollers inside when the temps go down and the dark sets in early, but this year i've been out on the road more than i ever have this far into January. this weekend should be in the mid 40's and sunny, which is great for some knickers, base layer and light jacket. unbelievable. how is your winter treating you, wherever you are (if you're actually in a winter part of the world at the moment)?

Old 01-18-12, 08:38 AM
Bioluminescence
Still a newb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going pretty well for me, snow had held off up until a week ago. Is that an Instagram photo?
Old 01-18-12, 08:40 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioluminescence
Going pretty well for me, snow had held off up until a week ago. Is that an Instagram photo?
yes it is.

aside from a freak haloween snowstorm, we have yet to see a flake around here too.
Old 01-18-12, 09:06 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
we share the same state so it's been pretty good especially when compared to this time last year when most of my time outdoors involved either in trudging through or shoveling snow. We're going through the typically coldest part of the year and it's been warmer than usual. There were some flakes Friday and Saturday night.
Old 01-18-12, 09:08 AM
hollowmen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in northern Indiana, it's been surprisingly mild. We didn't get our first several inches of snow until last week, and then a couple of days after that, it hit 50 again. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm accompanied that temperature, so I stayed inside.

All in all, it's been great. I did some rides earlier in the month with nothing but arm and leg warmers. Something tells me we're going to pay for it come February.
Old 01-18-12, 09:21 AM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been great here in Kansas city, got our first snow last week and got a massive 2 inches.
Old 01-18-12, 09:31 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southern Indiana has been mild as well. Most weekend days have been 30-40 and sunny. Normally the cold doesn't get serious until ... right. about. now.
Old 01-18-12, 09:37 AM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live close to the Adirondacks, NY, still have a guy in my neigborood ride every morning at 5 am, while I drive to work, a bit icy this AM, there he is... 3 front lights, none in the back, damn cold out there at that time.
Old 01-18-12, 09:44 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I will let you know when it gets here..
Fall is still hanging on!
Old 01-18-12, 10:09 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hollowmen
Here in northern Indiana, it's been surprisingly mild. We didn't get our first several inches of snow until last week, and then a couple of days after that, it hit 50 again.....
Originally Posted by Ultraslide
Southern Indiana has been mild as well. Most weekend days have been 30-40 and sunny. Normally the cold doesn't get serious until ... right. about. now.
Down to low-20s here in Indy today, and we're just waiting fot a few more days of snow that is projected but I don't expect much. Still hoping to get some snowshoeing in this year, but I'm not holding my breath....
Old 01-18-12, 10:20 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I was riding in the morning until mid November when a cold snap came through and I found I lacked gear and interest in riding below 30F in the dark.

Since then it's been mostly trainer, although we've had some mornings well above 30 with this awesome La Nina weather. I have ridden during the day and at night when it's been 40-50 which is wonderful break from trainer hell. When I've felt burnout I just back down on the trainer a bit, skip a day or two.

Fat? Hell yeah. At 180 I'm at least 10 pounds heavy. It comes off really fast when Spring arrives, though.
Old 01-18-12, 10:20 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very mild. Studded tires laying around unused. My main road bike getting plenty of miles.
Old 01-18-12, 10:23 AM
hollowmen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ultraslide
Normally the cold doesn't get serious until ... right. about. now.
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Down to low-20s here in Indy today...
It's down to 24 now (less with windchill), and I suspect we wont be getting many more unseasonably warm days. Looks like it's time to settle into the trainer for the long haul
Old 01-18-12, 10:25 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This winter has been AWESOME in CA (not that we get a real winter anyways). It was cold in October/November, and FINALLY got cold again this week, but I worked my way up to being comfortable in the 28 degree mornings for my commute to work, so I have ridden far more this year.

Still can't wait for DST to come back though...
Old 01-18-12, 10:54 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Weather-wise, great. Riding/training-wise, lousy.
Busy with work, family junk, rainy weekends, and new gf.
But the plus sides are business is good, mortgage will be paid off this August, and the new gf.
Old 01-18-12, 11:59 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked 2,424 Times in 906 Posts
Super-nice fall/early winter in Chicago. Busy with a lot of work and family stuff. Didn't really snow until we got 7" last week.

Before the snow, I was able to take the "winter project" out for a 35-miler:

Old 01-18-12, 12:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22714 Post(s)
Liked 9,076 Times in 4,217 Posts
I live near Philly so same weather patterns as NJ.

So far, so good. Two weeks ago we had a super cold day with daytime temps around 15-20...still rode.

Today was just above freezing, but very windy with gusts to 40 MPH...still rode.
Old 01-18-12, 01:10 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO has been quite nice. Somewhat "as usual" for those used to the fun and wacky high desert weather but definitely warmer and with less snow. For once darkness and business have impacted my outdoor training more than snow, ice, and sub-freezing weather. Still, plenty roller time but with the "light at the end of the tunnel" prospect of at least one 50-60 degree outdoor ride per week. Not bad for January!

Of course ask me how thrilled we'll all be about this come Spring/Summer if we don't get some serious snow before then....
Old 01-18-12, 01:22 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Been great here in Tampa. Mid 70s today with upper 70s maybe low 80s this weekend.
Old 01-18-12, 01:25 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Looks as if I'm going to miss it. There have been a number of GREAT cycling days (for winter), but I'm still off the bike after a December 11 dog attack. I hope to be back on the bike around the first day of Spring.

Under the circumstances, the Tour Down Under isn't accomplishing its usual purpose of motivating my winter training. This year, it's taunting me!
Old 01-18-12, 01:30 PM
bermanfb28

Bikes: Tarmac/Sram Red/Zipps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
winter sucks in new hampshire -5 the other morning and the only bike riding i have been doing is at the Y during spinning classes. living in the north sucks
Old 01-18-12, 01:41 PM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's been mild, ridden my road bike on slicks nearly every day up until yesterday. We're getting slammed with snow today so it looks like it's gonna be MTB time.
Old 01-18-12, 01:49 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We just got 15" of snow in the last week in Western Michigan (mostly lake effect). The winter has been great for me.. Fully recovered from 2 back surgeries over the last 18 months and I feel completely healthy for the first time in a number of years!

Working on taking off the 35lbs I have put on over the last year or so and I am down 20 with 18ish to go.. I really want to be ready for the season in March/April.
Old 01-18-12, 01:55 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been mild here as well. Needed arm warmers one day. But usually, if I wait for the sun to rise, I can ride i short sleeves and shorts. I'm actually surprised, last winter, most mornings were in the 40s, which is very cold when you're not used to it, but this year, the coldest morning has been 59*.
Old 01-18-12, 03:10 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had a nice 1 hour ride earlier on the fixed gear because the streets are dry and the sun is out even if the temperature is only in the low 20's. I got a few honks and waves from passersby on the road, and got a free muffin from the cute barista at the coffe house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.