Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else known as "The crazy one" at work?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 11:20 AM
Monnster

Bikes: 1997 GT Backwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Northern Ohio and work at a large company(500+). I commute year around and the only thing that keeps me off my bike is when the weather gets incredibly nasty or I have long mileage errands to run after work. So, it's not unusual for me to bike for weeks even months straight. My commute is short(about 12 miles round trip). Somehow my coworkers think this is crazy. I am almost always the only one parked at my works bike rack, they actually made a formal bike policy because I was having problems getting in and out of security.

My coworkers view me as being kinda "out there". I , on the other hand, see this as saving money and getting exercise at the same time. I have been commuting now for 4 years. It is hard for me to believe that with people hurting as much as they are these days that more people aren't commuting, maybe I am crazy . Do any of you commuters go through similar circumstances?
Old 03-31-13, 11:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Monnster
I live in Northern Ohio and work at a large company(500+). I commute year around and the only thing that keeps me off my bike is when the weather gets incredibly nasty or I have long mileage errands to run after work. So, it's not unusual for me to bike for weeks even months straight. My commute is short(about 12 miles round trip). Somehow my coworkers think this is crazy. I am almost always the only one parked at my works bike rack, they actually made a formal bike policy because I was having problems getting in and out of security.

My coworkers view me as being kinda "out there". I , on the other hand, see this as saving money and getting exercise at the same time. I have been commuting now for 4 years. It is hard for me to believe that with people hurting as much as they are these days that more people aren't commuting, maybe I am crazy . Do any of you commuters go through similar circumstances?
What "circumstances" are you going through? Does your co-worker "view" of you affect you or your work in any negative way?
Old 03-31-13, 11:44 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
After three or four years everyone accepts it as the normal status quo. Privately who knows what individual attitudes about it are and really why care? In person those who mention it are respectful and sometimes even complimentary about it.

I sometimes wonder myself why there aren't more bicycle commuters to the office when to me it seems so easy. But I know it's a combination of concerns about the traffic, the weather and the distance most people have to get there. It's only easy after you've done it for a while and pretty daunting to jump right into it, especially over any distance in rush hour traffic.
Old 03-31-13, 11:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Typical behaviour from people who don't understand the joys of riding a bike to work... Just ignore them and continue to do what you enjoy doing. Do any of your co-workers harass you because of riding a bike to work ??
Old 03-31-13, 11:53 AM
Monnster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What "circumstances" are you going through? Does your co-worker "view" of you affect you or your work in any negative way?
No, it doesn't affect my work negatively. Associates have told me about people saying I must be broke, or maybe I got a DUI. People have called me an Idiot for biking on snowy days. Just things like that.
Old 03-31-13, 11:58 AM
Monnster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Typical behaviour from people who don't understand the joys of riding a bike to work... Just ignore them and continue to do what you enjoy doing. Do any of your co-workers harass you because of riding a bike to work ??
Harass is a pretty strong word, but most people have no problem with criticizing my choice (too cold,or hot, or rainy or snowy).
Old 03-31-13, 12:20 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
After 4 years, one would think that their co-workers would now have found a better or different subject to direct their idle chatter at.
Old 03-31-13, 12:52 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picture a Clyde riding into a secure site featuring several high profile companies with some of the most stuck-up people you will ever meet in your life!
Do they think I'm crazy???? nahhhh!
Old 03-31-13, 01:17 PM
DJ Shaun

Bikes: Diamondback Copperhead (hardtail, winter bike), 2014 Giant Rapid 2, 2015 Kona Big Rove ST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm only known as "the crazy one" in the winter since I'm the only one who commutes with any sort of regularity when it's bellow -5C.
Old 03-31-13, 03:14 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to get that "crazy' comment years ago at work. The usual bad comment would occur on stormy days with the typical comment of, "Well, did you ride today?" I would disarm them by replying, "I didn't ride in today since the windshield wipers on my glasses were not working", or something to that effect.

Now, things have changed. Physical fitness has become a big part of the culture of our company. More and more employees are cycling and there are organized rides to boot. I feel more admiration than disapproval. Perhaps the ones who still consider me 'crazy' keep their comments to themselves now. I don't mind.
Old 03-31-13, 04:36 PM
tahoe_girl

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse; 2012 Trek 7.6; 2010 Trek 7.0 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been commuting every summer for 4 years now and have lost 100 lbs in the process. my co-workders definitely think I am obsessed with my bike, but being 100 lbs lighter, they can think whatever they want
Old 03-31-13, 04:43 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by tahoe_girl
I have been commuting every summer for 4 years now and have lost 100 lbs in the process. my co-workders definitely think I am obsessed with my bike, but being 100 lbs lighter, they can think whatever they want
Damn, I feel like the only cyclist on BF that GAINED weight from riding a bike, 17 lbs to be exact.
Old 03-31-13, 05:17 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sort of but respectfully. Interestingly enough because I work in a bike shop and most other people there drive cars as their primary vehicle. For the past four years I've made it a point to drive and commute exclusively by bicycle year round rain or shine because I feel its important to know firsthand what works and what to recommend to customers without simply just quoting the product marketing blurbs.

Sell a custoner junk and you'll never know cause they usually won't come back. If I ride it and it fails prematurely - I won't recommend it and eventually it gets dropped from the product line.

Which doesn't necessarily mean I'm not crazy ...
Old 03-31-13, 05:36 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
I'm definitely regarded as a little nuts at work, but it's not because of my commute. People really don't care if you bike to work, take the train, etc. I don't proselytize and no one cares.

I'm regarded as a little nuts because of my humor and world view.
Old 03-31-13, 05:55 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
I've been doing it for 40 years. Get used to it. I still hear dumb comments and ridiculous ideas. It all boils down to the fact that people look at cycle transportation as demeaning. Their identities are all wrapped up in that hunk of steel Madison Avenue sold them, and they wouldn't part with that unless it was absolutely necessary under the worst of circumstances. That's why they think it is weird, it is. The norm is to drive a car, an impressive car, no matter how counter productive and self destructive it might be. I still have people tell me how brave I am, or how sorry they are for me, or ask if I will be able to afford a car soon, or when will I get my license back. They are genuinely shocked to find out I have a car and can drive whenever I choose, I just choose not to.

Marc
Old 03-31-13, 06:00 PM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
After three or four years everyone accepts it as the normal status quo. Privately who knows what individual attitudes about it are and really why care? In person those who mention it are respectful and sometimes even complimentary about it.

I sometimes wonder myself why there aren't more bicycle commuters to the office when to me it seems so easy. But I know it's a combination of concerns about the traffic, the weather and the distance most people have to get there. It's only easy after you've done it for a while and pretty daunting to jump right into it, especially over any distance in rush hour traffic.
This guy I work with changed shifts and biked to work the first day of his shift change. He's 55 years old, and rides farther than I do on a Wal-Mart bike, how hard can it be .
Old 03-31-13, 06:08 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling is only one of the factors considered by others who may label me. I don't take elevators, walk instead of drive at work, don't like to eat lunch, have an intentionally corny stand-up routine, and the craziest of all - I tell people when they are wrong (and why) instead of worrying about their self-esteem.
Old 03-31-13, 06:10 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman219
This guy I work with changed shifts and biked to work the first day of his shift change. He's 55 years old, and rides farther than I do on a Wal-Mart bike, how hard can it be .
Exactly but don't ruin our mystique with that sort of talk in public, OK?
Old 03-31-13, 06:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,109 Times in 1,418 Posts
Riding isn't everyone's idea of fun. (Shocking, I know.) So it isn't immediately obvious why we find it so satisfying. I had a coworker who was big into golf so I explained to him: if you could golf your way to work every day, wouldn't you do it?
Old 03-31-13, 07:18 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everytime the temps here drop below 40 and I ride in people ask me "didn't you freeze" sometimes when I'm feeling like a real wiseacre I'll reply "do I look frozen".. Then when you explain cold weather gear. (read ski gear) they will understand and the fact that if you are moving you are gonna sweat and stay warm. Then they get it.
Old 03-31-13, 08:48 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm the only bike commuter at work.

they are all convinced i'll be killed on my bike, or freeze to death, etc, etc......

but they still look forward to seeing if my bike is locked up when they come in, almost like "if Rob rode his bike to work, everything is ok".

very strange.
Old 03-31-13, 09:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
Cycling is only one of the factors considered by others who may label me. I don't take elevators, walk instead of drive at work, don't like to eat lunch, have an intentionally corny stand-up routine, and the craziest of all - I tell people when they are wrong (and why) instead of worrying about their self-esteem.
I suspect that "friendly" or "friend" are not labels that you don't have to not worry about.
Old 03-31-13, 10:03 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sure, I do have somewhat of a reputation as being odd. My bikes all have 'wierd' handlebars (mustache, dirt drops, inverted northroads). Whereas all the other mechanics ride 'normal' bikes.
Old 03-31-13, 10:05 PM
TOTAL CONTROL
Banned.

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Hudson 4600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I'm not the only one who is thought of in this manner. Good to know. Well its all been said. "Don't you freeze", "where's your car", "oh your not gonna ride in that are you?" LOL

& the strangest part of all.....is that THEY are the ones that look the most misirable at work. Now I don't mean to knock anyone who is taking them. & I CERTAINLY don't mean to imply that bike commuting is a miracal cure all for mental illness.......but the facts are very clear to me. I watch & listen to co worker after co woker talk about depression & all the pills they pop to "fix" what's wrong. I'm no doctor & if your on'em, keep on'em til your shrink says other wise. But I know the burn does SOOOOO much more than just burn calories.

& like others have said, people tend to look down on you for not driveing or owning a car. I've seen it first hand. I'll be talking with a co worker or even a superior & oddly the conversation will often turn to cars. I'm sure its cause they want to know what kind of car this intellegent man I'm speaking to drives, surly its something very sporty cause he's so smart & engageing. Then I drop the bomb on them I don't own a car & bike instead. I then watch as they try to conseal their disapointment.....or how their eyes will glass over & try to play it down.

But I can tell they feel as if I'm just not "man enough". If I still cared about being "man enough" i'd still be locked up in a closet. I know myself worth & have nothing to prove.
Old 04-01-13, 06:25 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started bike commuting I had to prove to the boss that I still had my driving license. Working at the service dept. of a car dealer I have to drive company and costumers cars daily so my boss as the right to know and legaly MUST know if I got a DUI. At the time I was furious that he didn't believe me and had to check. I'm sure he still feel bad about it and that it's probably one of the reasons why he let me park the bike inside the drive-thru area.

Apart from that I'm just ''the cyclist''

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.