Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Things are Heating Up in Geekville (VIDEO)...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 07:23 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts

...literally heating up. Temperature and humidity are on the rise in the steamy Big Easy serving to thin out the herd of TriGeeks a bit as well as drop their top speeds a little (or a lot in some cases). At sunrise it is 80°F with 100% humidity and only gets worse as the sun climbs - cooking all of the clown sausages encased in Lycra/Spandex® to a lovely golden brown. Most do not have a level of fitness to ward off the effects of tropical heat which makes some of my "trophies" a bit laughable. The video is still fun tho. Maybe the last of the season too.

Notice I have incorporated a speedometer in the frame lower left in a few of the scenes. This will be standard Geek hunting equipment until I get tired of looking at it.

Have fun!

(07:37 Length)

https://vimeo.com/68830757
Old 06-21-13, 07:58 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Meh, you're still on a road bike, so the only real differences I see between you and them is different clothing and a superiority complex.

I enjoy chasing down roadies on my commuter, 2.15" Big Apples, panniers, lights, the whole nine yards, but I don't look down on them as I pass, I look over and I see someone else out enjoying the nice weather and two wheels. Yeh, yeh, some act like they're riding the TdF, but it's all in good fun. I've done triathlons, olympic, half iron, and full iron, and it's a different animal from just cycling, different pacing during training and racing.

Post up a video when you're on a bike that makes the trophy hunting worthwhile.

Last edited by Dwayne; 06-21-13 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 08:07 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Dwayne
Meh, you're still on a road bike, so the only real differences I see between you and them is different clothing and a superiority complex.
To those Cervelo jockeys I look like a goofy old man on a 1975 Schwinn Varsity. All I care about is THEIR perception. And improving my workout in the process.
Old 06-21-13, 08:14 AM
alan s 

Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
To those Cervelo jockeys I look like a goofy old man on a 1975 Schwinn Varsity. All I care about is THEIR perception. And improving my workout in the process.
THEIR perception of you is "there goes that jackrabbit wannabe racer who dreams about owning a machine as fine as mine."
Old 06-21-13, 08:31 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
You seem to have some deep seeded insecurities. Your obsession with what other people ride, and how they dress is really silly and I'm laughing at your need to prove yourself and put others down.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 06-21-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 08:45 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're looking for a "wow, that guy is so fast and he's not even wearing cycling clothing, why do I even bother, I'm so slow I should just go home and sit on the couch with a bucket of ice cream" from them? Does that make you feel better about yourself?

Then you post your videos in the commuting forum (what do your videos have to do with commuting again?). So, now you're also looking for approval from your peers to validate yourself, you care about OUR perception as well. I believe this forum should be a supportive community, and doesn't need content about someone who puts himself on a pedestal so he can look down on fellow cyclists, regardless of their motives or goals.

In all honesty, I feel sorry for you.
Old 06-21-13, 08:49 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

It's easy to find disdain for poseurs of any kind. Those who wear mountaineering parkas to the shopping mall, drive 4-wheel drive vehicles around the cul-de-sac, and ride certain kinds of bikes because they too are fashionable at the moment. If i saw someone cruising the Lakefront in a formula race car replica with a lawnmower engine wearing a fire suit and full coverage helmet i could not be more entertained.

People are free to express themselves and i am free to laugh at them same as you are free to judge me here.

Enjoy!
Old 06-21-13, 08:55 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

It's like morning coffee before work, only i dont drink coffee - so i swing through Geekville on my way to/from work to roast me a few and enjoy an endorphin brew.

This is part of my commute AM & PM. There is your connection. AND many here find it entertaining.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-21-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 08:55 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's easy to find disdain for poseurs of any kind.
poseur: "a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not."

These people are out riding, and they think they're fast, not pretending, there's a difference. You're purposefully pretending to be an old man on an old bike. By definition, I only see one poseur in your videos.

At least the people you're passing aren't stuffing balloons in a backpack to pretend they're carrying a load, like you did in your last video.
Old 06-21-13, 09:00 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I AM an old man. And i am pretty goofy too. That's not posing.
Old 06-21-13, 09:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,818 Times in 1,093 Posts
You're looking for a "wow, that guy is so fast and he's not even wearing cycling clothing, why do I even bother, I'm so slow I should just go home and sit on the couch with a bucket of ice cream" from them? Does that make you feel better about yourself?

Then you post your videos in the commuting forum (what do your videos have to do with commuting again?). So, now you're also looking for approval from your peers to validate yourself, you care about OUR perception as well. I believe this forum should be a supportive community, and doesn't need content about someone who puts himself on a pedestal so he can look down on fellow cyclists, regardless of their motives or goals.

In all honesty, I feel sorry for you.
+1.

I don't find anything interesting, entertaining or humorous about these videos or the personality behind them, and think they're really in poor taste.
Old 06-21-13, 09:17 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I'm happy to know it isn't just me who thinks this ****er is an irritant desperately in need of attention and justification. How dare someone want a nice bicycle or ride lycra without the almighty Joeybike's approval.
Old 06-21-13, 09:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm happy to know it isn't just me who thinks this ****er is an irritant desperately in need of attention and justification. How dare someone want a nice bicycle or ride lycra without the almighty Joeybike's approval.
I posted my disdain of this "stuff" when it first appeared on the commuter forum, and was surprised at the number of ****ers who posted encouragement for this silly "stuff" and the associated attitude. Since the moderators don't care to move it to an appropriate list, I just laff at the foolishness of posting such antics on this list, and laff even harder at the cheerleaders for it.
Old 06-21-13, 09:58 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Must be a worldwide shortage of chamois cream again.
Old 06-21-13, 10:04 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they are pretty amusing myself. And, it might be because I get the fact it's more a training thing than anything else.

It's a lot like the "Keeping score" thread that was posted, where commuters who "Aren't racing" keep score based on what they passed.
Old 06-21-13, 10:14 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL @ the green skateboard helmet !!! Nice touch Joey.

One thing I noticed about alot of the tri-guys in your video's is that their cadence is way to slow. Not sure if they are grinding bigger gears as part of conditioning, but they look pretty inefficient.

For everyone hatin' on Joey, he's just having fun - plus if anything, it helps the tri-guys have a rabbit to chase.
Old 06-21-13, 10:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by joshuatrio
LOL @ the green skateboard helmet !!! Nice touch Joey.

One thing I noticed about alot of the tri-guys in your video's is that their cadence is way to slow. Not sure if they are grinding bigger gears as part of conditioning, but they look pretty inefficient.

For everyone hatin' on Joey, he's just having fun - plus if anything, it helps the tri-guys have a rabbit to chase.
It's easy to write "just havin' fun" when it's not your goose in the oven. Since we're all having fun here, and public shame gives others a target to chase, is this the appropriate forum to let you know that a lot is two words? Or that you incorrectly used the possessive form of "video's"?

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I posted my disdain of this "stuff" when it first appeared on the commuter forum, and was surprised at the number of ****ers who posted encouragement for this silly "stuff" and the associated attitude. Since the moderators don't care to move it to an appropriate list, I just laff at the foolishness of posting such antics on this list, and laff even harder at the cheerleaders for it.
I saw him post this drivel once or twice before and decided it wasn't worth the time or effort to say something; I didn't realize it would be a serial thing. It's just another "us" vs "them" thread when "us" are already a tiny niche.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 06-21-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 10:25 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Cat6 racers, sprinkle with a generous helping of sarcasm and dry humor, and just let it be what it is.
To me the video is from someone who enjoys messing with live video and finds ways to entertain his time while dealing with daily bike riding.
Easy enough to just ignore what one doesn't like.
I'm not a cheer leader but I do enjoy some of Joey's videos. If they stay here or migrate down to Foo is not my say in the matter.
Old 06-21-13, 10:40 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by treebound
Easy enough to just ignore what one doesn't like.
Exactly.

Interesting how some here beat me up about the Geek Hunting thing by coming in here and scalping me with words - the exact same thing I am doing out on the Lakefront except WITHOUT any [potentially] hurtful dialog as I do my thing. And some of the same posters have a distinct hobby of scalping everyone they can at B.F.. You would think they would be the first to "get it".

BTW...I give everyone a sincere "Good Morning" or appropriate greeting as I scalp them at the Lakefront. Be nice to get that kind of consideration around here from the moral "majority".
Old 06-21-13, 10:45 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Wrong. You are scalping and judging people because of how they dress and what bikes they ride. You are being scalped for bragging about it here and for reveling in your poor behavior. At the point that you brag about your inane "scalping" on a public forum, you are inviting commentary. They are just riding their bikes.

You're not a victim here little buckaroo.

You are getting the exact consideration from me that your behavior warrants. You are asking for attention. You are soliciting feedback. You aren't just scalping them and looking at your conquests at home, you are sharing it with the public and bragging about your behavior.
Old 06-21-13, 10:54 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exactly.

Interesting how some here beat me up about the Geek Hunting thing by coming in here and scalping me with words - the exact same thing I am doing out on the Lakefront except WITHOUT any [potentially] hurtful dialog as I do my thing. And some of the same posters have a distinct hobby of scalping everyone they can at B.F.. You would think they would be the first to "get it".

BTW...I give everyone a sincere "Good Morning" or appropriate greeting as I scalp them at the Lakefront. Be nice to get that kind of consideration around here from the moral "majority".
Would you prefer everyone here say, "wow, nice job, Joey, way to show them!", and then go on other forums and post a link to your video and say, "check out this tool"?

At least we're saying it to your face, not behind your back.

You're a big boy, put on your big boy flowered shorts and suck up the criticism.
Old 06-21-13, 11:03 AM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey OP, why not post these videos to the road cycling subforum instead of here? Maybe one of the roadies over there will be impressed with your antics.
Old 06-21-13, 11:06 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

...put on your big boy flowered shorts and suck up the criticism.
That's what I live for. Just not sure why after 3 of these videos previously you still watch them if you aren't gaining SOME entertainment value from either the vids or the forum response.

My pleasure. Click an ad while you're here. Show some appreciation for the venue too.
Old 06-21-13, 11:14 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh... All the attitude makes sense now... Maybe Dwayne was featured in one of the video's.. lol

Dwayne

Rocketship Underpants Join DateSep 2005LocationAtlanta, GAMy Bikes'10 Cannondale Slice 4 tri bike, Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000, '97 Cannondale SuperV 900, '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter)
Old 06-21-13, 11:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

The "you don't have to watch me brag about my crappy behavior" is the silliest rationalization I've ever seen. It's interesting that you can't defend your actions, or the psyche that leads to them. Your defense is "You don't have to watch me brag about bullying others." Your behavior sucks and I don't come to BF to watch 3rd rate Napoleans brag about insulting others in our community.

I live for time with my wife, my friends and my pets. I live for experiencing beauty. Dwayne had this pegged earlier - I feel sorry for you, and for anyone that lives for conflict.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 06-21-13 at 11:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.