View Single Post
Old 04-14-21, 09:10 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
There are a few training approaches that are basically different time-in-zone compositions. You're doing what would be called sweet spot training. Another is pyramid training, where you spend a lot of time in zone 2, less in zone 3, and a little in zone 4+. And a third is polarized, where you spend a lot of time in zone 2, none in zone 3, and a little in zone 4+ (which is what you say would be boring). There is some evidence that sweet spot training wears you out without providing a lot of training benefit, although it sounds like you aren't excessively tired by it.

Polarized training is actually fairly popular with pros. Of course, they spend 20+ hours/week on their bikes. It's the approach I'm trying to take with my own training, although I'm not perfectly compliant.
Thank you. This is concise and will help me focus as I try to learn some about approaches to training.

Now that I think about it, I felt pretty run down on the bike late November-December of last year and a the forced winter break may have helped even if I lost some riding fitness.