Old 04-22-22, 08:51 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I'll summarize.
Not knowing what I had, I was gonna replace it, but was quite pleasantly surprised - amazed actually.
1) the first couple of weeks I would get off my bike 1/2 way through a ride and check my tire pressure. It road so smooth that I was convinced I had a leak in my rear tire.
2) last fall I was cruising along (20mph) some of the most horrid washboard I had ever seen, amazed at how smooth the ride was on my 32mm tires. I had totally given up on these roads 15 years ago because that washboard was such a nightmare to ride on with the equipment of the time.

Caveats -
its not a full sus bike. you are going to feel a pothole and hard hits that a mountain bike can take in stride. But it works wonders on the the chatter we get with gravel
Ya need a lot of exposed seat post - the more the better. If you only have 4-5" its not gonna be effective.
Alternative - I've heard the redshift seatpost is nice (and expensive), but it takes
Thanks for all that. Particularly the caveat about the length of exposed seatpost. I haven’t seen that mentioned before and it makes sense. I have about 5.5 inches exposed, which I guess will make for a pretty marginal improvement.