Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 08:56 PM
Lean back
Big N Slow

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 10 105, 2007 Burley Koosah Recumbent, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm on the couch right now watching the United States of Bacon and reading this thread. I feel like I need to go out right now for a 30 minute walk. I'm 38 and just had lumbar surgery 6 weeks ago. I'm 6'6 and about 270lbs. Can't wait to get a break from this New York weather and get back out there. Weather is a great motivator and I'm also contemplating a new ride.
Old 02-20-13, 12:44 AM
Chugosh

Bikes: Fuji S-12-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only rode a mile today, but I like my big old Fuji. I am not riding to lose weight, but I have gone from 373# to 237# in the last 18 months. I've bragged on this before, but not for a while. The point is even at 6'6", and the couch potato of doom, I lost the weight, and now it is easier to ride than it ever was when I was so much bigger.
I'm also taking up running and walking.
Old 02-20-13, 09:43 PM
Lean back
Big N Slow

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 10 105, 2007 Burley Koosah Recumbent, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I lost that much weight I probably wouldn't talk about much else. Running is always rough due to the impact. I find that walking is a staple. Not for losing weight but just staying active. You don't need equipment either. Just go out your front door and walk a couple of miles. Always makes me feel better.
Old 02-21-13, 01:46 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Motophoto
Well I guess I dont have this photo posting thing down, sorry. Here is my story I am 40 years old now weigh in at 250 pounds and am six foot tall. I am also dealing with a fused left ankle(ankle does not move) and bad arthritis in my right knee so the doctor said about the only thing I could do for exercise was ride a bicycle or get in a pool. So the bike it was nobody needs to be subjected to me in a speedo the bike shorts are bad enough .
Have you taken a good product that helps with inflammation for that arthritis? I know a few people whose doctor said "good luck!" and couldn't do anything but managed to find relief in some other products.
Old 02-25-13, 04:46 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Does this plaid make me look fat?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-25-13, 04:57 PM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I guess because I compare everything to me but you don't even look overweight in that picture.
Old 02-25-13, 05:06 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Maybe not obese, but I *am* overweight.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-25-13, 10:54 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no, looks like you went cycling in your pajama's but not fat!
Old 03-04-13, 11:45 AM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bet i could loose some of my weight if i just got up and did it i'm just lazy i guess i'm the only one that is lazy on here but i just dont have the energy or the want to to do it but you people on here give me the want to to get out and ride thank you
here is a little ride i did today jut got it uploaded 3 days later utube was acting up and it was not on my gas bike either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nSd...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by wbuttry; 03-07-13 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add content
Old 03-10-13, 11:52 AM
anthonygeo

Bikes: Kickbike, Raleigh M60, Electra Cruiser, Marin Nail Trail, Schwinn Hinge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in! I have four bikes, 2 cruisers, 1 folding bike, and a mountain bike. I decided to switch to rigid single speed bikes and suddenly developed back pain while riding. Anyone else?
Old 03-11-13, 04:11 AM
Charlie_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever try a recumbent? I've suffered from back pain most of my adult life. Riding an upright aggravated the pain. Now that I built a recumbent trike, I'm able to ride daily.

My trike:

Old 03-11-13, 04:12 AM
Charlie_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, double post

Last edited by Charlie_R; 03-11-13 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 10:10 AM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or a semi recumbent. again fantastic for the back pain. ZERO back pain on my day 6.
Old 03-11-13, 10:28 AM
anthonygeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've considered a recumbent and that's my next bike if the Kickbike I got makes my back hurt the same. I do suck it up and deal with the pain and I know my gut doesn't help lol. I never had back pain from riding until I gained weight when I got sick from a tick bite years back).
Old 03-11-13, 11:04 AM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the weight IS the killer back pain source! sucks hard core.
Old 03-11-13, 05:53 PM
anthonygeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Does this plaid make me look fat?

That outfit should be official bike riding gear!
Old 03-13-13, 07:02 PM
Rprice54

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll introduce myself. 6'6", 288lbs so far. I've got a fairly big frame, 270 was my playing wt as a college defensive end, but I had much more muscle then as well. I'm hoping to get down to 250 for my current goal. I'm riding a Giant Defy Composite. I was a little leary of going carbon, but my buddy (who also owns the shop) assured me it would work. Giant doesn't put a wt limit on the frame, and they warranty it for life. Plus I think having the word 'Giant' all over my frame fits me well. 1000 miles on the bike so far and no worries. The stock wheels have stayed true as well. Shooting for 3000 miles and 30lbs this year!

ps. How do you guys put those fitness trackers in your signature. I tried but it tells me bb code is not allowed.
Old 03-16-13, 07:12 PM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I'm Tyler. I've been posting on BF for a few years, mostly in the commuting and mechanics forums. I'm 6'3" and weigh 245. I carry it well with my frame but the last couple of years has seen me lose muscle tone and gain a pretty good gut. My ideal weight is 210-215, despite what BMI says - I'm athletic and have always has lots of muscle mass. Being a Clyde is just the way it's going to be for me. I have the classic American diet issues- high cholesterol, high trigs and borderline high BP.

Cycling is going to be one of those things ill look back on and say, 'that saved my life.' I try to ride everywhere when it's just me - and I have a bike for all occasions, much to the chagrin of my wife.

This forum has many inspiring stories and many fellow posters who struggle with the same things I struggle with - its cool to have a place to come to get inspiration, share stories, and learn. Thanks!
Old 03-18-13, 07:02 PM
craigrrr

Bikes: 2015 Trek Shift 4 STOLEN, 2015 Gravity Swift Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been riding the new to me Giant Sedona ST I picked up a little while back. It is very comfortable
found it on CL it was a pawn shop bike 2011 Giant Sedona ST $100 bucks no tax out the door.

I thought is was a good deal , rides great and have already put 100 miles on it. and a new chain lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_3537.jpg (101.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg
100_3538.jpg (99.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-19-13, 09:25 PM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a reintro ... been here for 8 years ... sometimes at 219, and everywhere in-between 200 and 213... currently at 197 -- my fourth time below 200, and trying to get to 185, where even at 5-10, I'd be in the teens% bodyfat at 50+yrs.

Actually I'm trying to maintain a consistently healthy diet and quantity and not lose the habit. Love to ride road, MTB, surf, windsurf, paddleboard, golf. What did I forget? Hmm grill tasty food and the occasional beer with friends and family and fellow riders. Expect to do a few more vegetarian things on the grill this year.

Last edited by rideorglide; 03-19-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 06:17 PM
chaapa 

Bikes: Helkama Saana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, Doohickie, the plaid looks great! Doesn't make you look fat. Love that plaid hat-bill peeking out from under your helmet!
Old 03-28-13, 01:39 AM
brwarrior

Bikes: Raleigh Misceo, Giant Composite Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'll introduce myself as I've been lurking around the Clyde section for a couple weeks. At 36 I've pretty much always been overweight (currently 5'11" and 265, was as high as 315 a couple winters ago). I think I could have qualified as a Clyde back in Jr. HS. The only weight I remember in HS was 222 my freshman year (on a certified scale they use for wrestling so I know that was accurate.) That's my first goal: 222. I've always enjoyed cycling back to around '83-'84 when I learned to ride. I never had a quality bike until last year I broke down and bought a Raleigh Misceo. I stopped riding after HS (it was my sole mode of self transportation) for a couple years (96-98) when I got a full time real job.

I started back riding to lose weight with my best friend in June 2009. June 24, 2009 to be exact. I managed a little under 7 miles at under 10 MPH moving avg. I have a record of every ride since then in some form. I'm a geek gadget lover. I've used a Garmin eTrex, Moto Droid in a handlebar mount running Google MyTracks and then Endomondo, and last August I picked up a Garmin Edge 500 (red and black model (which a HRM that doesn't work for me)). I rode a Motiv from Costco from 6/09 until just about this time last year. That thing is a tank. I was running out of gears on downhills. Still sits in the garage. I usually go static over the winter and have to start all over in the spring. Seven rides so far this year. We just got back to 20 miles tonight. We will work up to about 26 miles for an evening ride and 30+ for a Saturday morning ride.

I've found a great LBS here. The sales/mechanics guys sure have a way of separating my money from me. One of the guys is really trying to get me to step up to a Raleigh Revenio Carbon 2.0 (https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road...carbon-2-0-13/). That's a nice bike for a nice chunk of money. Nervous about dropping that kind of money. And a little nervous about the wheels. He also wants to see me get it and ride in a big local ride in May. I resist taking a test ride for a reason.

Our rides are a combination of roads and trail. A lot of times it just seams like the trails (rail to trail and the other is just a paved path along a canal) are this giant speed leach. In Jr. High School I was in the school cycling club so I got used to cars buzzing past at 55 on our weekly ride.

This year I finally stepped up to clipless pedals and shoes. I used some plastic nearly rigid Welgo clips since '09 (even marked on my spreadsheet the night I went to the hospital...nothing broken). And to save everyone's retinas I picked up some bib shorts (Pearl Izumi Select). Oh how I love those things! And I decided I don't get a rip, no more shorts over. I've worn regular Select shorts for a year with some workout shorts over them. The first ride (and the 3rd with the clipless) was like a totally new experience. Like I was free.

OK, that was a little long...
Old 04-15-13, 11:48 PM
zachm23

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just want to say a quick thank you to everyone on this entire thread. I was 5'7ish and 265 as of a year ago, started getting serious with my diet and got down to 215. I'm at about 225 now, and just started cycling to lose more weight. It;s a huge inspiration to hear the stories of everyone on here and to know that it is totally possible to get fit and get out there on a bike.

I have a terrible 1986ish Schwinn Prelude with downtube shifters that I'm using for now. It's rough to figure out the downtube shifters, but I'm loving riding.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys.
Old 04-16-13, 02:27 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by zachm23
I just want to say a quick thank you to everyone on this entire thread. I was 5'7ish and 265 as of a year ago, started getting serious with my diet and got down to 215. I'm at about 225 now, and just started cycling to lose more weight. It;s a huge inspiration to hear the stories of everyone on here and to know that it is totally possible to get fit and get out there on a bike.

I have a terrible 1986ish Schwinn Prelude with downtube shifters that I'm using for now. It's rough to figure out the downtube shifters, but I'm loving riding.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys.
An 86 prelude is actually a pretty nice classic bike. Good components, and Columbus steel tubing. I think you'll find that a lot of people like them. You could always replace the down tube shifters with some bar-end shifters. Maybe that would make things more comfortable for you?
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 04-19-13, 07:16 AM
Bigbiker64

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Elite, 2013 CAAD 10, 2013 Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6"0 235 2013 Specialized Allez Elite and 2012 Giant Defy 3. Started with a Wal-mart bike mountain bike and quickly realized it was not going to work. Have a mountain bike which I enjoy, but most of my riding is on the road. I use my lunch time to ride at work most days and take longer rides on the weekend. I had forgotten just how fun a bike could be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.