Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels--stay or go?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon wheels--stay or go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 03:01 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by rooftest
I saw that you're 195. When I got back into cycling, I was riding Bontrager wheels at 180; and was getting them replaced under warranty every 2,000 miles. I'm 6 ft 1; but you'll find that our weight makes us "morbidly obese" by cycling standards. Just my experience - just do what you're comfortable with.
Paired spoke POS's right? It did not matter how much you weighed with those.
Old 10-07-12, 03:39 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skagitteam
You guys are awesome--
calm down.
Old 10-07-12, 04:20 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skagitteam
You guys are awesome--thanks for all of the insights. Still not sure what to do, but that's up to me. I think I will try them for a few rides. If I love them, they will stay even if they may have a short life. If they seem like no big deal, I will sell them to someone who might value them more. Either way, it will be a fun experiment.

I know 195 is quite heavy for a roadie, but I left out an important detail that might make "morbidly obese" inaccurate by any measure: I'm 195 and 6'8" tall. My new madone is 64cm. Of course, the wheels don't care how tall I am; just the weight matters. But my wife and I got some weird pleasure from the idea that my scrawny figure is actually obese.
From Burlington or Anacortes? I've been running Reynolds carbon wheels for the last few years... zero regrets about doing so.
Old 10-07-12, 07:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3607 Post(s)
Liked 3,797 Times in 1,890 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakdiver
I've been running Reynolds carbon wheels for the last few years... zero regrets about doing so.
Same here. We've been testing out the 2012 Reynolds carbon wheels for almost a year now. No problems at all. They've taken some serious hits without a dent or going out of true, hits that have trashed Ksyrium wheels. Braking with the new blue pads is fine. I've been testing the Reynolds 32s, and I really enjoy riding them. They feel smoother on rough roads and descents than my Ksyrium SLs.

I'm a convert. We'll soon be offering them as upgrades on our tours and rental bikes.

I'm going to make a prediction: in very short order, carbon rims will do to aluminum rims what carbon frames did to aluminum frames.