Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 10:08 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,942 Times in 1,368 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I need to get the pneumonia vaccine as well as shingles. One of these days when I'm not battling on other fronts.
When I saw the nurse she also talked about getting a shingles. As if I am old.
Old 12-01-23, 10:11 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
If you had chicken pox you are at risk. Plus you are 50 in 2024.
Old 12-01-23, 10:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,428 Times in 6,354 Posts
No, but you are immunosuppressed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-01-23, 10:52 PM
big john

Liked 9,457 Times in 4,642 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I’m in there almost everyday that I am home.
When I got the rear wheel relaced a few weeks back it was the first time I had been in the bike store in 2 years, which is when the rim was last replaced. I did go into a different bike store once while on a ride so a friend could buy rim tape and a tube. I think that was early this year.
Old 12-01-23, 11:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,428 Times in 6,354 Posts
So tonight I get on Zwift, thinking to do an hour of Z1/Z2 because it's winter AND I have the Monthly C&V Ride tomorrow. I check what worlds are available - Watopia (of course) France, and Paris. You might thing that the last two are redundant, but you'd be wrong. Since I've ridden every route in Watopia that can provide an hour of Z1/Z2, I check out France, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but this....

OLD LA HONDA?!?!? THE benchmark climb for all Bay Area cyclists? I GOTTA do THAT!!!!

So after warming up on Tempus Fugit like I always do, I went to France to ride a local climb. The Climb Portal is weird - it's...it's.... Totally virtual. Not even a faint stab at realism, apart from the turns and the gradient. You're riding on a road, the color of which is based on the gradient. There's no scenery, just floating geometric shapes. I tried to follow in my memory where I was on the real OLH, but that failed after the 3rd turn - haven't ridden it in over a year, what with the road closures.

Anyway, I figured I needed to do 250-270w the whole way to make it under 30 minutes, and I did - 27:06. That's not bad for me, but then, in reality the segment is 3.1 miles vs the Zwift segment is 3.4. I tried to figure out where the bridge that marks the traditional starting point would be on the virtual map, but I gave up. Anyway, so much for "an hour of Z1/Z2".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-02-23, 03:39 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,306 Times in 2,267 Posts
So UPS has tried to redeem themselves. Looks like my wheels are being delivered today. Still not sure if the wife is going to make me wait til Christmas to use them or not.

Picking up some Schwalbe GR Ones 40 mm specifically for these wheels. Those wont come in until the end of the month so will prolly throw the WTB exposure on until those come in. The Pirelli M will go on the stock wheels.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-02-23, 06:08 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,825 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I got the rear wheel relaced a few weeks back it was the first time I had been in the bike store in 2 years, which is when the rim was last replaced. I did go into a different bike store once while on a ride so a friend could buy rim tape and a tube. I think that was early this year.
What happened?
Old 12-02-23, 06:28 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,212 Times in 4,270 Posts
When Zwift first started, I commented that they really should have an annual subscription option at a modest discount to rope in people like me who only use it during the colder months.

After several years, I am pleased to see that is finally an option.
Old 12-02-23, 07:01 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,485 Times in 1,827 Posts
genejockey that's so cool that OLH is on the climb portal! I have heard a lot about that climb from racing-oriented bikeforums users in the 33, back when the 33 was a more trafficked subforum
Old 12-02-23, 07:04 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

and RE: kit, yall are so fancy with the Rapha, Assos etc. I like to use what I get for cheap for free. Granted free was only a thing for me when I was a collegiate athlete and after upgrading to category 2 in 2019, so there was a solid chunk of years when I was needing to buy kit.

But I would just buy whatever the club or team I was on - pactimo, voler, champ sys, squadra, that sort of stuff. It's all equally "mid" and I can't say I care for any of it over the rest. I do own a couple pairs of "the black bibs" and I dig the ethos of the company too, no fancy marketing, just quality bibs for cheap. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing and need to try some premium products, but I seem to get by just fine using generic kit.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-02-23, 07:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

bampilot06 does you club have a "speedsuit" option, where it's like a skinsuit but with rear pockets? Those things are great and I use mine all the time. I only use a true pocketless skinsuit when racing time trials so only several times per year. As long as your jersey isn't flapping all over the place it's probably fine.

At 5'9" and 145 lbs I do size S jersey, size M bibs. My "speedsuit" is size S and my true skinsuit is XS.... I can barely get into it without needing help over the shoulders.
Old 12-02-23, 07:28 AM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,424 Times in 3,521 Posts
So UPS has tried to redeem themselves. Looks like my wheels are being delivered today. Still not sure if the wife is going to make me wait til Christmas to use them or not.

Picking up some Schwalbe GR Ones 40 mm specifically for these wheels. Those wont come in until the end of the month so will prolly throw the WTB exposure on until those come in. The Pirelli M will go on the stock wheels.
She should make you wait. I’ll ping her to let her know that.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-02-23, 07:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Got everything... except vanilla Wordle.
Old 12-02-23, 07:34 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Mojo31
She should make you wait. I’ll ping her to let her know that.
I took her shopping last night for her christmas present. She’s smaller now than before our daughter was created. None of her clothes fit. Do you think she will wait to wear her new wardrobe?

Oh and just now she tells me she needs more shoes. We literally have a closet full of shoes she never wears. I told her I’ll buy her shoes after she gets rid of some. I was trying to find the elf on the shelf yesterday, and I couldn’t believe how many shoe boxes she has, I mean 16 years and there are shoes I have never seen.
Old 12-02-23, 07:38 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by TMonk
bampilot06 does you club have a "speedsuit" option, where it's like a skinsuit but with rear pockets? Those things are great and I use mine all the time. I only use a true pocketless skinsuit when racing time trials so only several times per year. As long as your jersey isn't flapping all over the place it's probably fine.

At 5'9" and 145 lbs I do size S jersey, size M bibs. My "speedsuit" is size S and my true skinsuit is XS.... I can barely get into it without needing help over the shoulders.

I am 5’11” call it 175 to be safe, but usually i’m down to 155-160 ish. My buddy who is roughly the same size as me and his weight fluctuates a lot like mine, but he able to get skinnier than me in a relatively short time. ( he does a lot of iron man’s). Told me to get Med. He wears Med. There is no way in hell I can fit into a med now. My large fits me tight, it’s prolly exactly how it’s suppose to fit but just seems uncomfortably tight. I’m tempted to go extra large but again i’m worried it will be too big.

More I think about it, I’ll prolly just do large but x-large bibs.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-02-23, 07:43 AM
bampilot06

My wife tries to keep my sock game up to Par. Amelia picked these out for me. Not sure what kirby has to do with cycling. Suck the competition or blow the competition is not a winning strategy.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-02-23, 07:53 AM
big john

Liked 9,457 Times in 4,642 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
What happened?
What happened to what?
Old 12-02-23, 08:05 AM
Mojo31
-------

What happened to what?
That.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-02-23, 08:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,801 Times in 2,188 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
When Zwift first started, I commented that they really should have an annual subscription option at a modest discount to rope in people like me who only use it during the colder months.

After several years, I am pleased to see that is finally an option.
I started on Zwift when it was in beta and free. When it went "Live," I got a certain amount of time free like a year or something.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 12-02-23 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-02-23, 08:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

I took her shopping last night for her christmas present. She’s smaller now than before our daughter was created. None of her clothes fit. Do you think she will wait to wear her new wardrobe?

Oh and just now she tells me she needs more shoes. We literally have a closet full of shoes she never wears. I told her I’ll buy her shoes after she gets rid of some. I was trying to find the elf on the shelf yesterday, and I couldn’t believe how many shoe boxes she has, I mean 16 years and there are shoes I have never seen.
First, don’t you want her to look good for you?

Second, welcome to marriage.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-02-23, 08:10 AM
Mojo31
-------

I am 5’11” call it 175 to be safe, but usually i’m down to 155-160 ish. My buddy who is roughly the same size as me and his weight fluctuates a lot like mine, but he able to get skinnier than me in a relatively short time. ( he does a lot of iron man’s). Told me to get Med. He wears Med. There is no way in hell I can fit into a med now. My large fits me tight, it’s prolly exactly how it’s suppose to fit but just seems uncomfortably tight. I’m tempted to go extra large but again i’m worried it will be too big.

More I think about it, I’ll prolly just do large but x-large bibs.
Monk is like those guys in the Rapha adds - “Tony is 6’, 185 pounds, and wears a small.”

I am 6’ tall, weigh 185, and require extra large jerseys.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-02-23, 08:31 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 1,958 Times in 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That's one of my favorite videos
To be fair, they didn’t shatter. I remember when shatterproof bottles first came on the scene. My younger sister dropped the first plastic bottle of shampoo we’d seen on the kitchen floor to prove the point. True to her bad luck, it landed on the corner of the bottle, and of course sprung a large leak. But it didn’t shatter.
Old 12-02-23, 08:44 AM
seedsbelize2

Well that explains it. The only band I know from that era is the Foo Fighters and I stumbled upon them by accident. I was looking for The Pretender, by Jackson Browne, and got the Foo Fighters version instead.
Old 12-02-23, 08:47 AM
seedsbelize2

I got a pneumonia vaccination in August.
We only get that one if we’re 65 or older.
Old 12-02-23, 08:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

the Kirby socks are cool.

I like wool blend socks a lot. Actually that is one piece of kit that I splurge on. I have a lot of fancy wool socks, great in heat and cold. Defeet stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.