Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 07:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts
I found the Focus Adventure rack earlier this year and I wanted one for my Koga-Miyata Graveller. The German webshop that originally sold them did not ship outside of Germany unfortunately.
However, Bike24 had them in stock earlier this week (and also ships to a wide variety of countries) so I ordered it on a whim.

No actual riding impressions just yet but it seems like a solid piece of kit and should work on most bikes, as long as you have fender/rack mounts and a place to bolt a fender to at the seatstays.
I had to do some minor adjustments like bending the strut but all in all it was a 30 min job and will help me carry more water or more gear in the future. Most likely I will add a 1.5L/48oz Nalgene bottle to one side and my tent to the other side.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 08-01-23, 01:18 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 959 Times in 613 Posts
Started the disassembly of the freebie Sirrus. Loving the color even more after giving the frame and fork a wash. Can't wait to polish and wax it. The tri-color pedals it came with should look good too after a clean up and polish.
IMG_4065 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_4059 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_4060 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_4061 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_4062 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 08-01-23, 01:27 PM
tombc

Liked 82 Times in 31 Posts
needs grips but i think you get the idea. Not quite vintage, just dated. but may be seen as a classic someday.

Likes For tombc:
Old 08-01-23, 03:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,642 Times in 1,534 Posts
@Nemosengineer, Mr Bill! Oh no!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-01-23, 05:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,642 Times in 1,534 Posts
My commuter bike, a 1974 Raleigh International, had Nitto mustache handlebars since 2015. I decided they’re not right for me. @ascherer said I should try these old Randonneur bars. Yesterday after work, I took them to the bike coop in Brooklyn, hoping that having all the tools on hand would make it quick and easy. It didn’t, because I ended up helping two people work on their bikes. I can’t give up the opportunity to teach when it arises. I didn’t finish the job on my bike, but it’s safe and working. I need to replace the brake cables, re-tape the bars, adjust the lever positions, etc.

New handlebars always make it feel like I have a new bike. I have a tall stem with a short extension, and that makes sense for mustache bars. Now I’m more upright than I’m used to. I’ll take some time to decide if I want to change the stem. Maybe this is best for me, now that my back is so stiff and weak. I just got home from work, and I am definitely less fatigued than I was with the low-slung bars. But I know I rode more slowly because riding fast while so upright doesn’t come naturally to me. Ideally, I will look for a sweet spot, but it seems tricky.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-01-23, 08:02 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Liked 3,200 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My commuter bike, a 1974 Raleigh International, had Nitto mustache handlebars since 2015. I decided they’re not right for me. @ascherer said I should try these old Randonneur bars.
I’m glad you didn’t rush into that decision!
Likes For ascherer:
Old 08-01-23, 09:00 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Liked 959 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by tombc
needs grips but i think you get the idea. Not quite vintage, just dated. but may be seen as a classic someday.

What bars are those and do they come in silver or black? Thanks!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 08-02-23, 03:35 AM
tombc

Liked 82 Times in 31 Posts
Got them here

https://fortnine.ca/en/moose-7-8in-c...teel-handlebar

Canadian webstore but surely available elsewhere!
Likes For tombc:
Old 08-02-23, 10:43 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 1,958 Times in 1,232 Posts
I've been wanting to get the 79 Trek 930 back on the road. The last few times I rode it, it felt odd in the back end. Like a cracked DO, or a cracked something else. I didn't find anything and hung it up anyway
This morning I put together a nine speed rear wheel and crammed it into the dropouts and then grabbed the first front wheel I cane across. Tubular. I hope to test ride it in the evening coolness or, failing that, the morning coolness tomorrow. And, if the seven speed rear on the Paramount fits, I'll trade it for the nine speed on the Trek. Trek dropouts measure 124mm and somewhere around here is a wheel built specifically for it.
I almost forgot. I was getting those results while riding low tire pressures. Both are currently pumped up to 100 psi. Vamos a ver.
Addendum: That back wheel was missing a spoke, and was wrapped in Velox rim tape. I didn't want to pull it off, so punched a hole in it with an awl from the woodshop, and then taped over it with electrical tape. Again, vamos a ver

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 08-02-23 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-02-23, 01:54 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
In preparation for a lightweight clincher wheelset build I was looking at various rims and hubs and decided to eventually go for Amrosio Excellight as good quality rims that are probably one of the lightest clincher rims available right now. As much as I'd like to keep everything period correct, it's not that easy to find new old stock rims and also modern rims are, generally speaking, better (except for Mavic, which seem to be getting worse with each generation). When it comes to the hubs though, I decided that since I want to go for 6 speed freewheel, I could stay with late 70's - early 80's hubs. Of course, that led to some problems, as Excellight come only with 28 or 32 spoke holes and 32H hubs were not generally that popular back in that era. Bicycle the wheelset is going to be for originally came with Maillard hubs and I was lucky to find a set of Bianchi-branded set of Maillard 700 32H hubs from the late 70's. I bought them as used and in need of servicing. They certainly have been laced to a rim before, but when I opened them, I found out they are almost new or barely used. No trace of any wear on the cups and cones.
The rear one was filled with old grease which dried out to a consistency of tar or adhesive, no wonder the axle spinned with a lot of resistance. Someone probably attempted to overhaul the front one at some point, because grease was alright in that one and different from the rear and the axle didn't look like a MAillard one, but cones were too tight. Both hubs were thoroughly cleaned, packed with Mobil XHP 222 and despite the old bearing balls being perfectly OK, I decided to replace them with some grade 10 ones I had in the parts box. Nice and smooth now. I just hope the XHP 222 is going to be OK for the plastic dust caps, but these can also be replaced and metal ones can be cannibalised from pretty much any Maillard hob out there.
I also converted them both to solid axles. This is mostly because solid axles + track nuts are lighter than than hollow axles with skewers and also to make possible wheel theft slightly more time consuming. Though it seems the one I used for the rear is bent ever so slightly (and it was the only one I had at hand), so that will have to be replaced. Looks like I also run out of proper track nuts, so that's on the shopping list. Thankfully, I'm not going to use them over the next couple of months. Looking forward to building that wheelset though.

All seems good, packed with sticky grease though

I don't know what kind of grease this is, but definitely not anything you want inside bicycle hubs

New grease, new bearing balls, new life

So shiny! So smooth!

That was yesterday though. The next project is already being planned. Some time ago I got a decent deal on a used MA40 wheelset. I was only really interested in the rims and using them on my daily commuting bike (hopefully the wheels arrive soon and the rims are in good condition) and will be lacing them to Shimano hubs I have. The rims, however, come laced to two Campagnolo Athena (8sp) hubs. Which gave me an idea of using them to build a wheelset for a mate of mine as his birthday is coming soon. His bicycle has 10sp Campagnolo (Chorus / Veloce mix, I think) drivetrain. The problem is, the wheels he has on that bicycle are completely unsuitable for him. Firstly, it's a heavy, hybrid bicycle. With a rack and panier bags. With a rider who weighs around 90kg himself. The wheels are both 28h in a weird, sporty pattern, so in short, they are totally unsuitable for what that bicycle is meant to be used for. Ages back he managed to loose a spoke at the rear as well as get the rim cracked and the bicycle now is not getting any use and slowly rotting away. So I decided I'll build him a proper set of heavy duty wheels. Honest, 36 spokes each, 3 cross laced, as they should be.
The rear hub on the wheelset I'm waiting for has the freehub and axle missing. So I found a possible donor, Campy Veloce 9sp. I think this should take the 10sp Campy cassette (smallest cog 12T) currently on that bike. That again, was bought on the cheap in need of service. Quite a chunky one too, at 400g, but weight is not important with this project.
Today I opened it and cleaned everything. Gave the shell a bit of a polish too and it actually looks quite nice now. Looks like everything is in decent condition, so if the transplant to Athena proves impossible, I can always pack the Veloce with grease and build the rear wheel on that.

Got to say, I like the quality of the materials. Cups and cones are in very good condition and everything seems to be well made. What I'm not sure I like is the drive side bearings being somewhere in the middle of the axle (ok, I know, there's an additional cartridge in the freehub, but I'm just not used to such design). And also the proprietary axle design. Should something go wrong and I had to replace an axle in a hub like this couple of years down the line, I might as well just toss the whole thing out as the part will very likely not be available (or cheap). I'm also not sure about using Alu for the freehub body of a hub that's not exactly meant for the professional racers. Certainly an interesting design, but I'm not sure I follow the Campy engineers design philosophy. Which is fine, the thing will still work as intended, probably for quite some time.

Ready to be dissected

All nice and clean
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 08-02-23, 09:15 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Liked 3,383 Times in 2,122 Posts
Enik retromod done

I think it looks pretty cool!

1 ring + guard

Looks pretty zippy!

4 color palette
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 08-03-23, 06:39 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Liked 2,277 Times in 584 Posts
I just finished the first draft of my Motobecane Grand Jubilee project. These aren’t the tires I plan to use. I have some 34mm gravel tubular tires I plan to use instead. However, I wanted to see what the bike would look like with tanwalls before I glue on the other tires. These are 28mm, and imho they kind of look puny with this frame’s generous clearance.

Old 08-03-23, 11:35 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I just finished the first draft of my Motobecane Grand Jubilee project. These aren’t the tires I plan to use. I have some 34mm gravel tubular tires I plan to use instead. However, I wanted to see what the bike would look like with tanwalls before I glue on the other tires. These are 28mm, and imho they kind of look puny with this frame’s generous clearance.
Just beautiful, sir you hit the mark.
: Mike
Old 08-03-23, 11:38 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Swag...

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Old 08-04-23, 01:43 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Swag...

Likes For gaucho777:
Old 08-04-23, 02:14 AM
gaucho777 

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Swag...

I was 11, turned 12, living in SoCal, during the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Watching Alexi Grewal win gold in the ‘84 Olympic Road Race is what sparked my interest in road cycling. Years later, as a 16-year-old jr. racer during the Whiskey Creek Stage Race in Mammoth, CA, my teammates and I were enjoying an evening post-race hot tub at the small hotel when Alexi joined us. It was just a few teammates and Alexi. I think this was ‘89 or ‘90. He was on the Crest/Cannondale Team at the time. It was the night of the penultimate stage and he had been penalized (maybe even disqualified?) for getting caught throwing a punch at another rider earlier that day. We talked about his time with 7-11, European racing, doping (paraphrasing…” they even have pills to keep you warm”), and of course the ‘84 Olympics. Highlight of my youth.

Last edited by gaucho777; 08-04-23 at 02:51 AM.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 08-04-23, 03:43 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts

Absolutely beautiful. I'd be tempted to put black drillium chainrings on that Stronglight (mostly because I have them and they look great on silver crankset), but she looks perfect the way she is. It doesn't help my fixation on getting a black stem or getting whatever I'm going to use anodised (though the latest idea was to get the sides engraved and fill the grooves with black enamel).
Old 08-04-23, 08:00 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Liked 4,148 Times in 2,002 Posts
Mis-matched old tires on the Raleigh Competition GS I just bought.

Had some new 32mm from an auction score

They were judging my tire swapping technique through the whole process!

Tires swapped - no rhyme or reason to labels/stem relation - they were right to judge

Last edited by SoCaled; 08-04-23 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added pic of bike
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 08-04-23, 08:22 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Well, it ain't "wrenching" exactly, but there are wrenches involved, and a vintage pin cushion. So hopefully this post isn't too outta bounds?

I've been wanting to try my hand at sewing up an under saddle tool roll for quite a long time. Finally giving it a go!

Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 08-04-23, 10:21 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Liked 656 Times in 323 Posts
This project has been on the back burner for over a year. I'm finally able to get around to the brake issues on my GT STS DH.
Original vintage Formula brakes.The front and rear caliper pistons were stuck and wern't moving. I got the front broken free and now am able to bleed and get a good feel. The rears are still stuck in place.
I've removed the caliper and am going to try using compressed air at work to get the piston to break free.
Would it be better to get a fitting screwed on and use brake fluid and a syringe? Any other suggestions?

Here's what I'm working with....

Old 08-05-23, 12:49 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,027 Times in 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
This project has been on the back burner for over a year. I'm finally able to get around to the brake issues on my GT STS DH.
Original vintage Formula brakes.The front and rear caliper pistons were stuck and wern't moving. I got the front broken free and now am able to bleed and get a good feel. The rears are still stuck in place.
I've removed the caliper and am going to try using compressed air at work to get the piston to break free.
Would it be better to get a fitting screwed on and use brake fluid and a syringe? Any other suggestions?

Here's what I'm working with....

Maybe mail directly to Formula who can give you the maintenance with those disc brakes model
Old 08-05-23, 05:44 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 477 Times in 282 Posts
A very nice Cervelo gravel bike yesterday. Replace the tires with Sworks rubber, new metal brake pads, new chain...was immersed. It uses a GRX drivetrain, mechanical, and that is running great. The tires are tubeless and set up quite nicely on Roval wheels.
It was a fun project.
Also replaced the BB bearings.
Old 08-05-23, 07:06 AM
Hobbiano 

Liked 347 Times in 231 Posts
@Desert Ryder I'm not sure if this will work on a bicycle, but on my 2002 KLR motorcycle, I used compressed air to pop them out. I had a regular blow nozzle & wrapped the tip with electrical tape to act as sort of a seal, leaving a path for the air to get through. Protect your eyes. That's how the manual said to do it. The bike was sitting outside for about 7 years and after cleaning, just used brake fluid to clean the rubber parts, they work fine. No leaks. The rubber all looked good & pliable once cleaned with brake fluid. Surprisingly, didn't find any corrosion on the metal parts either.
Old 08-05-23, 08:01 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Liked 656 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
@Desert Ryder I'm not sure if this will work on a bicycle, but on my 2002 KLR motorcycle, I used compressed air to pop them out. I had a regular blow nozzle & wrapped the tip with electrical tape to act as sort of a seal, leaving a path for the air to get through. Protect your eyes. That's how the manual said to do it. The bike was sitting outside for about 7 years and after cleaning, just used brake fluid to clean the rubber parts, they work fine. No leaks. The rubber all looked good & pliable once cleaned with brake fluid. Surprisingly, didn't find any corrosion on the metal parts either.
Yeah. Same way to remove car caliper pistons. I actually don't need to remove them completely. When the front broke free there was a quick "snap" sound. That was the pistons breaking free because after that I could feel the pressure on my finger which was between the pistons.I was planning on putting a caliper block in it and using the air nozzle to blow in the air.
Old 08-05-23, 09:52 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 1,971 Times in 886 Posts
I was 11, turned 12, living in SoCal, during the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Watching Alexi Grewal win gold in the ‘84 Olympic Road Race is what sparked my interest in road cycling.
I was there in Mission Viejo as well in '84. Still have a bottle that a rider tossed from the peloton that day.
We'll see what they come up with in 2028...
Likes For RCMoeur:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.