Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you donate your bikes to a museum?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Would you donate your bikes to a museum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 10:09 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Would it be out of place to discuss what kind of bikes deserve to be in a museum?

I just posted a couple pictures of my perennial favorite, the 1950 Norman Rapide, on the 'show us some silver' thread. But it's a good example of what I think this thread is about. It's a top-of-the-line factory bike, a kind of cheap alternative to the Raleigh RRA. I've never seen another one, and I've definitely never seen another 60+ year old bicycle in this kind of condition. That's the only thing that makes it a museum piece. Othan that I changed a few components back to what it came with originally, it is completely unrestored.

Old 10-04-11, 01:18 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 349 Times in 176 Posts
Rudi - at first I thought it was easy to explain what belongs in a museum. My first thought was that the definition would be the same as how I define classics...the best of a given period and the bikes that represent a leap forward, a new direction or the best in their class. That's not adequate though...to appeal to someone with no knolwedge of bikes, you'd need to explain the context. I thought it might be similar to grails...but it's not that either. Then i started thinking about the various mueums and exhibits I've been to...and which ones I liked and for what reasons.

Where I ended up is that the best museums show you the context of what you're looking at. They don't just show you a painting by Dali, they show you a painting of Dali within the context of his peers, his predecessors and those he influenced. The best museums are also focused, or they're general, but so large as to be able to have numerous sections with focus. There is an auto museum near me called the Simeon Auto museum, or something like that, and I kept coming back to that one for this purpose. I hate cars...I have no interest in cars and I think auto racing is proof of devolution (cue Devo). To get me to appreciate an auto museum is amazing...and he did it. Here's how:

He showed a clear evolution of the autos. You could see how they fit together and where they were going. He stuck to a theme...competition breeding evolution and excellence. While showing the extraordinary, he also provided examples of how they changed the mundane (a new engine or saftey feature becoming a standard). He separated NASCAR from other types of competitive racing, but you could see the common lead up. Whith that in mind...here's what I think...

The OP should pick a theme he wants to develop. Start with the bike ancestors (if he can get them)...the Drasnenes (sp?) and the like. Than a Highwheel...and finally the saftey bicycle. The saftey bicycle can lead to different branch off points. You can have a wing showing the evolution of geared bikes...that can further seprate into 3 spds and derailleur bikes...the derailleur bikes splinter off into road bikes and you see the evolution of touring bikes, crit bikes, etc. Another branch from the saftey bike might be track bikes...obviously not a whole lot of evolution there, but there's a beautiful simplicity to that. You can have an area that shows the evolution of titanium, aluminum and CF. One area might show the history of lugs/welding...from their simple origins, to the intricacies of a Hetchins...up through IC lugs and then on to tig welding. Thinking this way means you use the bikes you get and fit them within desired themes. Another might be the evolution of braking mechanisms...tires...ec.

The way I'm envisioning it makes the particular bikes less important and it's more important to show context (if that makes sense). Along the way you can show different approaches to similar issues...like Miyata's splining vs. SLX.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-04-11 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 02:43 PM
custermustache

Bikes: 1968 Falcon San Remo 1973 Raleigh International, 1974 Schwinn Suburban, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, 2007 Dahon Vitesse DH7G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaron, you are on track - it's not just holy grails, but the evolution and you bet there had better be a Varsity in there - to show the contrast between a PAramount and a bike for the masses.

I want it to be accessible of course, and there aren't many backroad barns in Dallas anymore.

Sure, the discussion of what belongs is appropriate - this thread is part of my planning notebook.

The other reason I wanted to start the museum is because I'd love to own a Draisine or a Pennyfarthing - but think that the price might be prohibitive.
Old 10-04-11, 04:24 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
^^Gentlemen, I think you are failing to distinguish between (a) what's in the permanent collection, (b) what you display, and (c) how you organize your exhibits.

For a bicycle museum to really thrive, it would have to have facilities for storing a lot more bicycles than it can display.

Aaron, yes, of course any museum needs to have a theme ("mission statement"). But that theme has to be specific to each museum; otherwise they would all be the same. The size of the museum may dictate the specificity of the theme. Obviously I would not donate my Norman to a museum devoted to the Tour de France, or Six Day Races, &c. But I can think of many exhibits in which it could be used to illustrate some point or other.

Last edited by rhm; 10-04-11 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 05:28 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 349 Times in 176 Posts
rhm - I think you sort of crystalized where I was going - if it's not going to be gargantuan, and I think a scope of "bike museum" is by nature gargantuan, it needs to be a lot more focused...

For instance track bikes...or MTBs...Italian roadies, etc.
Old 10-04-11, 05:45 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Well, I just deleted my first response, as I have changed my mind completely.

If someone ever builds a bicycle museum, focused on the post bike boom move from US and European manufacturing, to Japan, I would probably donate some examples. I don't see anyone opening such a museum, but if they do, they need to give me a call.... Not that my collection/fleet is anything unique.
Old 10-04-11, 05:45 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
well, part of it depends how famous I become during my career (please take post this with a grain of salt, I`m not really an ambitious person). Because when you become famous, any little item suddenly becomes important for exhibitions/collection about your life. If I`ll be the next king of rock and roll, my graceland will surely have a large bikeshed.
Old 10-04-11, 06:44 PM
iab

Liked 3,947 Times in 1,439 Posts
The Art of the Motorcycle was a really cool show. I'd consider lending a bike for a year for a show like that. But not for a permanent collection.
Old 10-06-11, 12:13 PM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quite the collection donated here. Can't embed the video. Worth the watch; promise.

https://vimeo.com/11011437
Old 10-06-11, 08:15 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I know that the OP will not like my response, but I believe it is totally misguided to donate anything to a "museum" without said "museum" having already demonstrated that it has a strong enough base upon which to succeed. I would far prefer to have one great museum than to see 10 mediocre ones. I would be willing to eventually donate something to a setting like that which is being developed in Davis where there are people with demonstrated knowledge as well as a depth of knowledge that ensures continuity long-term without needing to depend on one person. In Davis there is furthermore already a core collection that is of world-class level. I would however like to point out that even though Davis already has all of this going for it, it is still not ready for prime time as a museum. I would never give even a thought to donating something to a museum set up on a whim without any existing quality core collection.