Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 10:23 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
In addition, no one has said whether my brake levers will work or not. Back at ground zero.

Dave

As previously said, any road lever will work just fine. The only issue I can see with some brake levers, such as the ones you want, is that the clamping bolt can extend past the nut and dig a little into the bar. I know I have seen marks left behind on my aluminum bars.

Meanwhile, higher end levers avoid this issue with a different nut/bolt arrangement.

Last edited by hairnet; 01-19-19 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 03:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,564 Times in 3,055 Posts
It is frustrating at times on the forums when you post a legitimate question, and get a response like your first post. Feels like the question wasn't really answered.

In addition, no one has said whether my brake levers will work or not. Back at ground zero.

Dave
My answer was real but it had some comedic elements because you called it a "fixie" which I have to keep deleting and re-writing because it doesn't believe it is a word either and you also claimed that a fixed gear bicycle goes through more stress somehow. If a part is broken don't use it, simple as that. Also as stated earlier don't use carbon bars if you are unsure of them. No point in riding being nervous all the time that your bars will break just to save a smidgen of weight and get a possible small bit of added comfort. The seat posts and stems and such I listed are all perfect ways to add comfort.

As far as brake levers, go out and get yourself some SRAM S-500 levers and be happy, they are extremely comfortable and urklenomically designed and will work fine on a carbon bar and won't have the issues of the bolt digging into the bar as others mentioned. Yeah they do cost money but for a nice place to keep your hands a nice functional piece of equipment that allows you to slow down or stop, they are worth it. I have had them on 3 bikes and will continue using them till Shimano comes out with something similar or better in the ergo department.
Old 01-19-19, 05:27 PM
bonsai171

Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My answer was real but it had some comedic elements because you called it a "fixie" which I have to keep deleting and re-writing because it doesn't believe it is a word either and you also claimed that a fixed gear bicycle goes through more stress somehow. If a part is broken don't use it, simple as that. Also as stated earlier don't use carbon bars if you are unsure of them. No point in riding being nervous all the time that your bars will break just to save a smidgen of weight and get a possible small bit of added comfort. The seat posts and stems and such I listed are all perfect ways to add comfort.

As far as brake levers, go out and get yourself some SRAM S-500 levers and be happy, they are extremely comfortable and urklenomically designed and will work fine on a carbon bar and won't have the issues of the bolt digging into the bar as others mentioned. Yeah they do cost money but for a nice place to keep your hands a nice functional piece of equipment that allows you to slow down or stop, they are worth it. I have had them on 3 bikes and will continue using them till Shimano comes out with something similar or better in the ergo department.
Thanks. I wasnt aware of the bolt issue. Will have v to check my tektros to see what that is like. Going to put swapping the bars and stem on hold and decide if my current stem is the right length. I might swap seat posts too as previously mentioned. The Thomson layback seatpost has 16mm offset, and my current one has 25mm offset. If I get the Thomson, should I get a stem that is 10mm longer to make up for the difference in offset?

Dave
Old 01-19-19, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Thanks. I wasnt aware of the bolt issue. Will have v to check my tektros to see what that is like. Going to put swapping the bars and stem on hold and decide if my current stem is the right length. I might swap seat posts too as previously mentioned. The Thomson layback seatpost has 16mm offset, and my current one has 25mm offset. If I get the Thomson, should I get a stem that is 10mm longer to make up for the difference in offset?

Dave
No worries. Until you have them installed and torqued down you may not think about it. I would do some measurements before swapping the post, stem and bars. I am unsure what you would need to keep the same position but you may talk to a fitter as they can help out with that. Since there are three variables it may not be as easy as 10mm in stem.

If you are looking to add comfort, again, go with the eeSilk seatpost.
Old 01-19-19, 08:25 PM
bonsai171

A fitter is a good idea. Had my old LBS look at my road bike after I built it, and they figured out what stem to use. That is my most comfortable bike. I looked up that eeSilk seatpost, apparently it only comes in 27.2mm (my seatpost is 26.8mm).

Dave
Old 01-19-19, 08:54 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A fitter is a good idea. Had my old LBS look at my road bike after I built it, and they figured out what stem to use. That is my most comfortable bike. I looked up that eeSilk seatpost, apparently it only comes in 27.2mm (my seatpost is 26.8mm).

Dave
Depending on the inner diameter which determines your wall thickness... you don’t want to go too thin... you can always have a machine shop turn it down to 26.8. I’ve done this to several seatposts for my Kilo TT. You can do this by hand as well with high grit sandpaper and a lot of time, or with a bench grinder and a softer wheel which can be had for cheap at harbor freight. I have a lathe and would be happy to turn down a seatpost for you no labor charge, just S&H if you were ever interested.
Old 01-21-19, 09:28 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by mouse

Depending on the inner diameter which determines your wall thickness... you don’t want to go too thin... you can always have a machine shop turn it down to 26.8. I’ve done this to several seatposts for my Kilo TT. You can do this by hand as well with high grit sandpaper and a lot of time, or with a bench grinder and a softer wheel which can be had for cheap at harbor freight. I have a lathe and would be happy to turn down a seatpost for you no labor charge, just S&H if you were ever interested.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Dave
Old 01-22-19, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I should have had you turn down my Thomson from 27.2 to 27.0 would have saved me all the hand sanding I did. It was a good workout. They really just shoulda made their 27.0 post silver and saved me the trouble but they didn't!
Old 01-22-19, 09:18 PM
bonsai171

I should have had you turn down my Thomson from 27.2 to 27.0 would have saved me all the hand sanding I did. It was a good workout. They really just shoulda made their 27.0 post silver and saved me the trouble but they didn't!
That would especially be fun with a Thomson layback seatpost :-p

Dave
Old 01-22-19, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

That would especially be fun with a Thomson layback seatpost :-p

Dave
Aww jeez, Rick! I don't think your supposed to do that.
Old 02-03-19, 06:13 PM
bonsai171

Can anyone recommend a pair of half finger gloves with really good padding and vibration dampening?

Dave
Old 02-03-19, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Can anyone recommend a pair of half finger gloves with really good padding and vibration dampening?

Dave
I really like my Gore gloves all of them but I think I had some power gloves (I cannot remember as I bought them so long ago) I would give those a try if you can. I prefer foam to gel because they gel can deform over time and get lumpy which ain't good but foam seems to go and go.
Old 02-03-19, 07:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts

Dave
Giro Strade Dure Supergel

https://www.giro.com/us_en/strade-dure.html

Some vendors call them Strate, with a T instead of a D. I don't know why.

I have ulnar nerve damage in my right arm and the thick gel padding help quite a bit. Shop around for significantly cheaper prices.

-Tim-
Old 02-04-19, 12:37 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

While we’re on the topic. Does anyone wear the Cinelli Giro DND gloves? I’m looking at these because I like Cinelli and Mike Giant is my favorite artist and bike enthusiast. But $45 is a lot if they are no bueno. Hell, my motorcycle gloves didn’t cost that much.
Old 02-04-19, 05:03 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Giro Strade Dure Supergel

https://www.giro.com/us_en/strade-dure.html

Some vendors call them Strate, with a T instead of a D. I don't know why.

I have ulnar nerve damage in my right arm and the thick gel padding help quite a bit. Shop around for significantly cheaper prices.

-Tim-
Nice, thanks! Does cycling cause that nerve damage?

Dave
Old 02-04-19, 06:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Dave
I couldn't say but my brother and I were constantly in the emergency room for broken bones, stitches, or some other crazy injury.

Bike ramps over garbage cans, rock fights, hitting trees on our sleds...

My brother pretty much has a glass wrist and I think some kind of nerve damage was inevitable for me. My guess is that cycling sometimes exacerbates the damage I've already done.

-Tim-
Old 02-05-19, 01:18 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse
While we’re on the topic. Does anyone wear the Cinelli Giro DND gloves? I’m looking at these because I like Cinelli and Mike Giant is my favorite artist and bike enthusiast. But $45 is a lot if they are no bueno. Hell, my motorcycle gloves didn’t cost that much.
I had a pair years back when the Mike Giant collab was fresh off the block. Good gloves, they're a bit on the thin side though and not really insulated if you're looking for warmth.

Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-19-19, 07:39 AM
IAmSam

Liked 281 Times in 141 Posts
1) Archetypes or A23s?

2) almost opposite of #1, but since I'm already here...
Am I crazy to even be considering trying some ultra-light, and judging from the disclaimers pretty darn fragile, deeply discounted racing skinnies (that I accidentally found while I was shopping for bigger tires ) for JRA?
Old 02-19-19, 09:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Light, supple tires are a joy to ride. They spin up fast, climb like a squirrel and love to be ridden hard.

But they will spoil you and make it difficult to go back. Durability is an issue too, especially in the bigger northern cities where the roads aren't good.

I get only 1200 miles out of a Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed mounted on the rear. Longer on the front. It can get expensive but I found them for $27 each and bought a bunch.

It is an emotional commitment and you have to be willing to not get pissed off if they get destroyed. It's part of the cost of doing business when rolling on high end tires.
Old 02-19-19, 05:22 PM
IAmSam

Liked 281 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Light, supple tires are a joy to ride. They spin up fast, climb like a squirrel and love to be ridden hard.

But they will spoil you and make it difficult to go back. Durability is an issue too, especially in the bigger northern cities where the roads aren't good.

I get only 1200 miles out of a Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed mounted on the rear. Longer on the front. It can get expensive but I found them for $27 each and bought a bunch.

It is an emotional commitment and you have to be willing to not get pissed off if they get destroyed. It's part of the cost of doing business when rolling on high end tires.
Wow - they sure are getting quick to clamp down on any fun around here nowadays, aren't they?

Anyway this whole dilemma is kinda your fault

I've been contentedly riding my Veloflex Masters for years after being converted from an older Vittoria Corsa model - maybe it was Open CX or SC? It was one that when they updated it, they stopped making it with tan walls.

Since I've been riding on the Veloflexes(flexii?) so long that I was feeling the need to change, just 'cos - when I heard about the G+ Corsas when they came out I planned on getting some when I needed to restock on tires. Strangely my, once pretty vulnerable, Veloflex Masters suddenly stopped flatting right around that time. Fast forward a couple years, and now that I finally need some tires - Vittoria is making too damn many varieties of G+ tires now for me to decide.

I read, and reread, your recent analysis of them in the "Great Deal" thread. But when I went shopping I ran into models and descriptions you hadn't mentioned like Competition, Control, 4C, etc. and it just got to be too much.

So upon further consideration, taking into account that I am content with the way they perform and love the way they ride, that lately mine have become seemingly flat-proof, that they are lighter than comparable Vittorias, and with a little shopping are generally cheaper too - I decided to stick with Veloflex. I was shopping for some 28s when I bumped into the racy tires I mentioned. They are nominally 23s, but all the reviewers I found, who universally praise the supple ride and easy rolling as long as you accept their short lifespan and zero puncture resistance, also say they run small, and if I told you the claimed weight you would freak.

I want them - but...maybe not enough. And I still haven't bought any "normal" tires yet...
Old 03-05-19, 11:11 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Should I put a carbon fork on this bike? My only hang-up is that it will raise the front end 12mm.
Old 03-05-19, 11:32 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

Dave
I don't know, but I bet a bad fit that puts too much weight on the hands can do damage. I remember in my early days my first road bike was too small and I would start to get pain and numbness in my hands, among other places, after a few hours of riding. No bueno
Old 03-05-19, 11:51 AM
mihlbach

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Should I put a carbon fork on this bike? My only hang-up is that it will raise the front end 12mm.
12mm is a lot. I wouldn't do that. Whats wrong with the current fork?
Old 03-05-19, 11:28 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Thinking about a new frame.

option 1: 2019 wabi special moss green. $600 minus fork and headset (already have a wound up fork that perfectly matches wabi's fork specs)

option 2: surly cross check mint green. Only $500 plus I like the color a bit better. This is also more versitile than the wabi (tire clearance, fenders, running it geared at some point etc.) BUT my wound up fork, which I'd like to use, is a full 20mm shorter than the stock cross check fork...

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-19, 12:40 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
Putting a Wound Up on a Cross Check is the wrong kind of silly. If you're set on using that fork, the Wabi is the obvious choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.