Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where have all the good bikes gone?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where have all the good bikes gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 02:46 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
I have a lot of trouble finding the bikes that I want in my size. I normally ride a 63cm, but I can go to a 60cm at worst if I want to use a lot of seatpost. I don't have trouble finding bikes my size, but finding holy grails for a reasonable price in my size. Did Masi even make something bigger than a 60cm in the 70's?

The trick is get agnostic on size. My Colnago (my size) was paid for by flipping four lesser bikes that were not my size. Rather than wait for a deal on a Colnago my size, I just grabbed a few deals, turned them into cash, and then used the cash to pay full market value for the bike I wanted.

I just flipped a couple of mtbs (I usually avoid them). Anyway, the profits from those two will fund the build up of a Paramount Series 70 MTB for my wife. I didn't wait for a deal on the Paramount. I let the deal on a Trek 820 and a Panasonic MC3500 (or something like that) provide the funds (neither of those were the right size).

Using cash from deals that don't fit is the secret to expanding your budget to buy sweet bikes that do fit.

Sure, I still look for deals on bikes my size. But if it is something on the rare side, that I really want, I just pay full market.

"Let bikes that don't fit pay for bikes that do fit!"

As one sage C & V veteran told me years ago:"Bikes need to pay for bikes." (Miami Jim). Since taking Jim's advice, bikes have paid for bikes, tools, and a few other things as well.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-29-13 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 04:18 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The trick is get agnostic on size. My Colnago (my size) was paid for by flipping four lesser bikes that were not my size. Rather than wait for a deal on a Colnago my size, I just grabbed a few deals, turned them into cash, and then used the cash to pay full market value for the bike I wanted.

I just flipped a couple of mtbs (I usually avoid them). Anyway, the profits from those two will fund the build up of a Paramount Series 70 MTB for my wife. I didn't wait for a deal on the Paramount. I let the deal on a Trek 820 and a Panasonic MX3500 (or something like that) provide the funds (neither of those were the right size).

Using cash from deals that don't fit is the secret to expanding your budget to buy sweet bikes that do fit.

Sure, I still look for deals on bikes my size. But if it is something on the rare side, that I really want, I just pay full market.

As one sage C & V veteran told me years ago:"Bikes need to pay for bikes." (Miami Jim). Since taking Jim's advice, bikes have paid for bikes, tools, and a few other things as well.
+10 Works great, less filling!
Old 01-29-13, 04:39 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101

I just flipped a couple of mtbs (I usually avoid them). Anyway, the profits from those two will fund the build up of a Paramount Series 70 MTB for my wife. I didn't wait for a deal on the Paramount. I let the deal on a Trek 820 and a Panasonic MX3500 (or something like that) provide the funds (neither of those were the right size).

Another benefit to buying stuff that does not fit, you are less likely to keep it.
Old 01-29-13, 05:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
+1,000,000 Its a lot easier to let bikes that don't fit move on to a new home.

Been thinking, between Randy's old shed and my old dump, I'm not sure there are any other bikes out there. We may have cornered the market.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-30-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 09:28 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The D.C. Craiglist bike prices have inflated 50% in the last 3 months. There are very few decent C&V bikes, and the few road bikes are low end. Nishiki for $200, ladies LeTour for $150. Mountain Track / Antelope 800/820 and lower quality MTB for $150. One posting for an unknown German beater in dismal condition is over $300.

That's good news assuming I can find some project bikes.
Old 01-30-13, 09:51 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
The Ann Arbor Salvation Army has a Fuji Berkeley on the floor for $249.99, fair condition.
Old 01-30-13, 11:01 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
The D.C. Craiglist bike prices have inflated 50% in the last 3 months. There are very few decent C&V bikes, and the few road bikes are low end. Nishiki for $200, ladies LeTour for $150. Mountain Track / Antelope 800/820 and lower quality MTB for $150. One posting for an unknown German beater in dismal condition is over $300.

That's good news assuming I can find some project bikes.
Those prices sound as if you are reading them from CL listings in my area. By the way, Washington D.C. has recovered from the recession according to economic statistics. Must be all that government spending.