Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Want to save $1000 or more on your next bike buy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Want to save $1000 or more on your next bike buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 10:09 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DScott
I'm thinking more like, "I'm going to state the obvious, say what's already evident, perseverate on a topic that loudly rings the "well, duh!" bell, then argue about nothing of consequence while adopting a patronizing, condescending, but slightly offended tone."

BF rocks.
Originally Posted by Again
Agreed. Nice to see one more poster who understood.
Again, subtlety and nuance not a strong suit, huh.

BF does rock, indeed!

Old 08-02-11, 01:02 PM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Again
Well, I know what you are trying to say. But you don't know my background.
I grew up in such poverty that I learned very early in life to do without most of the nice things I saw and would have loved to have. Later on, as a grown-up, when I really enjoyed the feel of luxury on test drives of cars I could have bought, I was hardened enough to resist the temptation, always remembering that there are things of greater importance to spend the money on - like family, home, etc. I am fully aware that my spartan discipline makes me miss out on a lot offun things in life, unlike the guy who simply has to spend every extra dollar he feels in his pocket, despite the fact that he may be short next month's rent. But as they say, a tiger can't change his stripes - or something to that effect. We all have to live within our characters.
Interesting thing though, as of late I catch myself buying stuff I really don't need to have...
I suspect it is similar to when we refer to a woman hearing her clock tick - only it is a different clock I am hearing.
Every emergency visit to the hospital seems to make that clock tick a trifle faster.

Sorry you haven't been more successful in your financial life so you could maybe afford some nice things to enjoy in your life (even something relatively inexpensive like a nice bike).

Your original assuption here is that most of us are wasting money on nice bikes that we don't need and then are sacrificing more important things. In fact, this forum is full of people that grew up very modest surroundings like yourself but then worked very hard to better themselves (doctors, lawyers, professors, etc.). They now enjoy high end bikes to use in their leisure time along with all the other things that they prioritize in life like home, family, charitable donations, etc..
Old 08-02-11, 01:16 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder what it is about some cyclists that makes them feel like they are qualified to pass judgment on the financial decisions of others. lollers
Old 08-02-11, 01:18 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
I wonder what it is about some cyclists that makes them feel like they are qualified to pass judgment on the financial decisions of others. lollers
they mad
Old 08-02-11, 01:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
they mad
They jelly.
Old 08-02-11, 01:58 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's time to go out and ride your really cheap or really expensive bikes, whichever you have.

Closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*