Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 12:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,727 Times in 3,652 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I don't do it now, but I was once (in a galaxy far, far away) an ASE certified auto electric person. One of my stranger adventures in the employment marketplace, was as one of the early crop of SMOG techs here in California. I didn't last in that, because I'm not tough enough. But yes, I read the thing, and I understand that the entire repair (inclusive of diagnosis, which can be a *****), was what cost $5,600. For my part, I can imagine many ways that enough water might have intruded into this assembly. It actually doesn't take that much, if it's well placed. A short is a short is a short.

I don't want to come off as disagreeable, this early in our relationship. But 5,600 bucks to fix something is still 5,600 bucks...regardless of the parts/labor breakdown on the bill.
I'm not disagreeing with that. Hell, you can buy a nice bike for $5,600. And a hitch rack.
Old 01-09-24, 12:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,963 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Will look more.

Have to laugh at your last comment - I've actually had to call in the pros after "fixing" things myself.
I've been in those holes more times than I can recall. I can usually climb out on my own by filling the hole with money. I will admit to seeking professional help, on rare occasion.
Old 01-09-24, 12:16 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Yep. Remember all of those red bound diaries that I own going back 40+ years?

I document a lot of things. It's my grandpas's fault though his diaries green.
I probably should have done more of that--what drugs I've tried, etc.

I guess theoretically it could be found in my medical records, but a doctor isn't going to go back 10 years looking for that.
Old 01-09-24, 12:18 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,458 Times in 7,255 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with that. Hell, you can buy a nice bike for $5,600. And a hitch rack.
...if I spent that kind of money on a bicycle, my wife would make me sleep in the garage with it. I'm not one of the lucky ones here, with a wife who spoils him.
Old 01-09-24, 12:21 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Kids these days. SMH

Old 01-09-24, 12:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,550 Times in 4,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Back when I worked at DSG, I'd be in back there building bikes and when some new Stanley's dropped everyone would be looking for 'em. Coworkers would get on the radio and ask "Does anyone know if we have Stanley Cups". Now this was a couple of years ago and I had no idea that these Stanley cups existed. So I just had to sit and ponder back there while building. A what? Do we sell little Stanley Cup miniatures here? Are there REALLY that many hockey fans in Phoenix? Do that many of them need a miniature Stanley Cup on their desk? Real headscratcher!!!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-09-24, 12:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,221 Times in 6,787 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if I spent that kind of money on a bicycle, my wife would make me sleep in the garage with it. I'm not one of the lucky ones here, with a wife who spoils him.
I couldn't spend that kind of money on A bicycle, but I certainly have on bicycleS. But I spread it out over months and it's not as obvious. I had to do a big song and dance to justify the $2400 I spent on the Canyon, because it was all at once. The Litespeed undoubtedly exceeded that, but it was spread from December through May. At least I didn't have to pay to get it painted.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-09-24, 12:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I probably should have done more of that--what drugs I've tried, etc.

I guess theoretically it could be found in my medical records, but a doctor isn't going to go back 10 years looking for that.
Definitely, especially if you're seeing or have seen more than one doctor. If only you'd known then what you know now, but it's probably a good idea to start, and to try and reconstruct what you can of the past.

I don't know how doctors are supposed to keep medications straight anymore - less time with each patient, way more possible medications, each with its own set of side effects, dosing regimens, and interactions with other drugs.

Old 01-09-24, 12:35 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,170 Times in 3,321 Posts
Will look more.

Have to laugh at your last comment - I've actually had to call in the pros after "fixing" things myself.
I have spent half-days de-zinging calipers. It an be a PITA.

Before you try and realign it, take the pads out and make sure the pistons are retracting all or most of the way (BE CAREFUL NOT TO PUSH THEM ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE CALIPERS THOUGH!). If one or both aren't retracting, clean up the brake dust and lube around them with a cotton swab dipped in brake oil and then push them all the way in with a non-metallic object like a tire lever.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-09-24, 12:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 4,074 Times in 2,008 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Deer love suburbs! Lots of gardens, nice little wooded lots to hang out in, plenty of water, no predators except those big, fast-moving things that don't kill enough deer to make a dent in the populations.
We live in a city composed mostly of single family homes, and the predators have been moving into the area. Coyote and mountain lion. No deer, though, as I don't think they've figured out how to get to our area. Too many barriers (freeways, rail lines, etc.).

The predators are more clever, and they use the creeks to move easily down from the hills. They're probably looking for a tasty house cat or small dog.

During COVID lockdowns, we saw coyotes fearlessly wandering the streets. No deer (yet).

Old 01-09-24, 12:37 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,199 Times in 3,719 Posts
Where's xuqs ?
Sleeps with the fishes.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-09-24, 12:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Since I have cable-actuated calipers I just de-tune them a little bit to make the noise stop and tell myself "I'll fix that for real later tonight"
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-09-24, 12:39 PM
indyfabz

Liked 17,454 Times in 8,156 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Fly fishermen too. It's pretty wild to roll into a little town like Dillon, MT and see a Patagonia store!
Dillon wasn’t like that when I spent 2 nights there in 2000. While not a fly speck, it wasn’t as developed, although it did have a movie theater.

I also went through Ennis, which is on the Maddison, that year and then went back in 2016. I couldn’t believe the difference. Both times I camped at the fish access campground. I was one of two occupied sites. It was the same day of June, only 16 years apart. All the nice houses on the other side of the river were not there in 2000. The town even has a medical center now.
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by BillyD
Sleeps with the fishes.
Didja get a count on how many different threads he posted that in?
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have spent half-days de-zinging calipers. It an be a PITA.

Before you try and realign it, take the pads out and make sure the pistons are retracting all or most of the way (BE CAREFUL NOT TO PUSH THEM ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE CALIPERS THOUGH!). If one or both aren't retracting, clean up the brake dust and lube around them with a cotton swab dipped in brake oil and then push them all the way in with a non-metallic object like a tire lever.
A white background, or even a light-colored floor, and a strong light are your friends. Whenever I swap the rear wheel on the Canyon from the road wheel to the trainer wheel, I give the new wheel a spin and watch for wobble or rubbing. So far, so good. I've never had to do more than just the business card trick.

Old 01-09-24, 12:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

A white background, or even a light-colored floor, and a strong light are your friends. Whenever I swap the rear wheel on the Canyon from the road wheel to the trainer wheel, I give the new wheel a spin and watch for wobble or rubbing. So far, so good. I've never had to do more than just the business card trick.
Yeah I throw fresh printer paper on the floor when I need to diagnose that kinda crap. Sometimes you gotta hold it in your hand if the downward viewing angle wont work (like on a lot of rear calipers)
Old 01-09-24, 12:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
We live in a city composed mostly of single family homes, and the predators have been moving into the area. Coyote and mountain lion. No deer, though, as I don't think they've figured out how to get to our area. Too many barriers (freeways, rail lines, etc.).

The predators are more clever, and they use the creeks to move easily down from the hills. They're probably looking for a tasty house cat or small dog.

During COVID lockdowns, we saw coyotes fearlessly wandering the streets. No deer (yet).
I would be somewhat surprised if there aren't deer there. In my neighborhood, they use the creek behind our property as a Deer Freeway to move from the open space 1/4 mile away to where all the tasty decorative gardening is. Back when I used to walk the dogs at 10 PM, I'd see deer all the time, but now that I don't, I see them far less often.

Old 01-09-24, 12:45 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Back when I worked at DSG, I'd be in back there building bikes and when some new Stanley's dropped everyone would be looking for 'em. Coworkers would get on the radio and ask "Does anyone know if we have Stanley Cups". Now this was a couple of years ago and I had no idea that these Stanley cups existed. So I just had to sit and ponder back there while building. A what? Do we sell little Stanley Cup miniatures here? Are there REALLY that many hockey fans in Phoenix? Do that many of them need a miniature Stanley Cup on their desk? Real headscratcher!!!
Old 01-09-24, 12:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah I throw fresh printer paper on the floor when I need to diagnose that kinda crap. Sometimes you gotta hold it in your hand if the downward viewing angle wont work (like on a lot of rear calipers)
Yeah, it's a lot harder if the bike isn't in a workstand.

Old 01-09-24, 12:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Probably less popular than the D-Backs.
Old 01-09-24, 12:47 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I don't know how doctors are supposed to keep medications straight anymore - less time with each patient, way more possible medications, each with its own set of side effects, dosing regimens, and interactions with other drugs.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 01-09-24, 12:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,199 Times in 3,719 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
The squirrels not the deer!
I thought squirrels was the joke. lol
Old 01-09-24, 12:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah.

Healthcare was a lot simpler and cheaper when it hardly worked at all.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-09-24, 12:54 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,170 Times in 3,321 Posts
My mounts, especially the rears, seem distort a bit when I tighten them, so the business card/eyeball method doesn't always quiet things completely and there's some predictive futzing involved.
Old 01-09-24, 12:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,963 Times in 4,200 Posts
https://x.com/SeanOhhhh/status/1744486547607503068?s=20

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.