Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A shortish history of modern American frame builders

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A shortish history of modern American frame builders

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22, 08:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
Others that come to mind are Gary Fisher...
Gary was never a framebuilder.
Old 01-27-22, 08:46 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Gary was never a framebuilder.
Which reminds me...
Otis Guy, Joe Breeze, Steve Potts.

Brent
oops. I see @tricky beat me to Joe Breeze.

Last edited by obrentharris; 01-27-22 at 08:47 PM. Reason: credit where credit is due
Old 01-27-22, 08:46 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
I'll buy that, wasn't sure if he was or not. Thanks for clarifying, Gugie
Old 01-27-22, 08:54 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,133 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned Ross Shafer yet. Ross was building lugged road bikes before Salsa. Now days he designs and builds pedal steel guitars.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-27-22, 09:12 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 1,211 Posts
Frank the Welder. Used to participate on this forum years ago.
Contract builder, recently heard he was doong torchwork on some of the new Serotta builds.
Old 01-27-22, 09:32 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Another name to add is Steve Garn. In the late 1980s, Steve started building frames with the BREW brand name. Still in business outside Boone, NC, and has a frame building school (TIG welded).
unless you are an experienced welded, i would not expect someone to become proficient at TIG welding in one week (I’ve taken the class).
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-27-22, 09:34 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
so many mentions of neat frames, and NO PHOTOS!??!

what is the world coming to?

Steve in Peoria, wondering why I haven't seen these on the road

I might have shown this before,but it's my custom built Veloce that I had built for me in around 1986 by John Stinsman in Allentown, PA.Paintjobfades from Dark Rose Metallic at the top to Light Rose Metallic at the bottom
Likes For motogeek:
Old 01-27-22, 09:47 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Kieth Anderson started in Indianapolis. Eventually he went out west and was best known for painting until he retired. I helped him a little with advice when he started building but not with painting where he made his real mark.

Chris Kvale does beautiful file work on the lugs on his frames. Nicely thinned. The building where his shop was located burned and it has taken some time to get it back to functioning again. He reports its progress periodically on the CR list.

I taught Curt Goodrich also in Minneapolis how to paint. He wanted more control over his entire product and didn't want to depend on when someone else might be able to get them done.

Rich Gangl has more various skills than another other frame builder. He has the most well equipped shop I have ever seen. He can build steel, titanium and aluminum and of course paint too. We are very good friends. We drove together to take the 1st titanium welding class at UBI that John Cherry also attended. His work is amazing.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-28-22, 06:52 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Rich Gangl has more various skills than another other frame builder. He has the most well equipped shop I have ever seen. He can build steel, titanium and aluminum and of course paint too. We are very good friends. We drove together to take the 1st titanium welding class at UBI that John Cherry also attended. His work is amazing.
The short-.lived Asphalt magazine did an article on Rich Gangl. Very nice!

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4ac8cb_k_d.jpg

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5da877_k_d.jpg

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bd5163_k_d.jpg

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...885514_k_d.jpg

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-28-22, 08:24 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Another name to add is Steve Garn. In the late 1980s, Steve started building frames with the BREW brand name. Still in business outside Boone, NC, and has a frame building school (TIG welded).
unless you are an experienced welded, i would not expect someone to become proficient at TIG welding in one week (I’ve taken the class).
At NAHBS in Charlotte, he built a frame in his booth, during the show. I saw an unpainted steel BREW decimate the field in a triathlon.

Also in NC, Mills Brothers. Indianapolis also has Five Points, with interesting frame designs.
Old 01-28-22, 08:29 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
He was able to observe frames built at Oscar Wastyn Cycles in Chicago (the shop still sells bicycles). Emil Wastyn came from Belgium before the turn of the century and his son Oscar built the 1st Schwinn Paramounts in the 30’s. .
https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture...e-early-years/

Emil Wastyn was an active builder in the 1930s and worked a lot with Schwinn, to include first Paramounts. I was lucky enough to have one of his bikes as a loaner when my ‘65 Schwinn Continental crashed out. Emil was also a famous six day mechanic and his connections to Euro riders, builders, mfrs were very important to Schwinn and to the ongoing success of Wastyn Cycles.

One part of the story has to be that there was a huge gulf between Oscar’s generation and Albert’s generation. The hippies really did not want to connect with the past, wanted to do it all themselves starting from nothing. Everyone was eager to get a little piece of Albert’s limited time when Oscar and Brilando and Magnani had the door wide open, hoping someone would walk in. Chicago in 60s was in a lot of ways a European city and cycling almost existed here. Schwinn and Wastyn survived and did what they could.
Old 01-28-22, 08:38 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Who is Primus Mootry Sr?

I remember painting the Cherry bike Steve posted (#61) that he saw on the Hilly Hundred.
Mr. Mootry (Sr.) built frames with pragmatism in mind. As a minority businessman, inventor, and entrepreneur in the plains states, he faced obstacles in several areas. Some of his frames had rear-facing dropouts but also RD hangers, long before the fixed gear phase. He built with Aluminum as far as I know, oval tubing in the early 80’s aero style.

Social norms at the time probably limited his exposure, along with his interest in a myriad of projects and issues. His son tends to dominate the results of on-line searches, but Primus Sr. was possibly one of those modern (sic) Renaissance Man geniuses that never really saw exposure, for various reasons.

I have little doubt his frames will become collector’s items.
Old 01-28-22, 08:41 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Who is Primus Mootry Sr?

I remember painting the Cherry bike Steve posted (#61) that he saw on the Hilly Hundred.
Do you know the Fiorini brothers? Chris built frames and also painted. Not sure what Tony does now, but he raced. Chris is connected to Paramount, Buell, and I think H-D.
Old 01-28-22, 08:46 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Chris Kvale does beautiful file work on the lugs on his frames. Nicely thinned. The building where his shop was located burned and it has taken some time to get it back to functioning again. He reports its progress periodically on the CR list.
Kvale’s building was burned intentionally by rioting arsonists. Here’s hoping he gets back, if he wants,to. I haven’t seen if any arrests were made.

@cuda2k had a great thread on the build Kvale did for him. He posted it from idea to design to finishedbike.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 01-28-22 at 06:52 PM.