Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 09:22 AM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I just saw this bike on CL and was wondering if it'd be a good frame for a touring bike conversion.
I don’t know anything about the quality of the frame but the geometry looks reasonably relaxed. The thing I’d wonder about is how well it’s set up to accommodate racks. I don’t see any bosses or eyelets up front (which could be addressed with a fork replacement or a rivnut tool) and I wonder if that rear fork design without bosses would affect mounting a rear rack. I have one like that but it has mounting bosses. Again, maybe rivnuts to the rescue?
Likes For daywood:
Old 11-02-23, 09:27 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
I don’t know anything about the quality of the frame but the geometry looks reasonably relaxed. The thing I’d wonder about is how well it’s set up to accommodate racks. I don’t see any bosses or eyelets up front (which could be addressed with a fork replacement or a rivnut tool) and I wonder if that rear fork design without bosses would affect mounting a rear rack. I have one like that but it has mounting bosses. Again, maybe rivnuts to the rescue?
Maybe never mind on that last bit about the rear rack. I see now that there may be a through bolt for the brake cable stop that could be used for mounting a rear rack.
Likes For daywood:
Old 11-02-23, 09:33 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
I currently have a 1986 Diamonback Ascent that's set up for touring. The chainstays are nice and long and it has the appropriate mounting points. It's a beast and bombproof, but very heavy. I've been looking for a lighter frame that would work as well or better. I expect this would be lighter, but am not sure about the glued carbon tubes. The price is attractive on this one. Truthfully, the frame is likely slightly smaller than I need. I could likely make due with the frame size if there is enough weight difference and the frame is sturdy enough.

Likes For mtnbud:
Old 11-02-23, 11:43 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Maybe never mind on that last bit about the rear rack. I see now that there may be a through bolt for the brake cable stop that could be used for mounting a rear rack.
I also see what appears to be a rack mount screw on the seat stay, below the monostay split, about where the canti mount is. That's a very low position, so it would require a rack with mounting rods that can be attached at a pretty steep angle.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-02-23, 12:26 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I posted this bike earlier when I first got it and it looked decent as is but made a few upgrades to suit my needs, which I will call phase 1. New tires, needed new brakes, added an 8-speed cassette as it was set up as a single speed, new used shifter, new grips and new chain. Things to add are new pedals (an aluminum flat set I have on another bike) maybe a rack? and consider a new handlebar set up. I want to ride it for a bit and see how I like it before deciding on any other changes. Can't say it wasn't a challenge to source decent used parts and originally, I hoped for more gears but would then have to switch out the rear hub and expand the back frame which I didn't feel comfortable doing. My lack of bike building skills forced me to keep things pretty simple.

Still needs a lot of work as the tires are not seeding well in the rims, the shifter is not changing gears correctly and the brakes need adjusting. Overall I'm happy with how it looks and can't wait to take it out on some rides.

Last edited by gthomson; 11-13-23 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 11-02-23, 12:40 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,499 Posts
1990 8900 Trek

as found-work in progress;

Old 11-02-23, 02:35 PM
Weaselshark

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
[QUOTE='02 nrs;23059829]as found-work in progress;

nice canti brakes!
love the look of those Ringle skewers as well, though not necessarily their functionality…
Likes For Weaselshark:
Old 11-04-23, 06:03 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
On the topic of tires, has anyone had any experience with installing those Billy Bonker tires that I have on my bike above? I am having big problems with getting these tires seated on these original rims and not fitting correctly on a specific part of the tire and creating a hop on rotation. I've taken the tire off, massaged, changed the tube, used water and soap and nothing works. I finally took it to my LBS and the head service mgr. worked with it for about 20 minutes and he was able to stabilize but admitted it was not perfect.

Our older rims not compatible with these tires?
Old 11-04-23, 07:22 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
On the topic of tires, has anyone had any experience with installing those Billy Bonker tires that I have on my bike above? I am having big problems with getting these tires seated on these original rims and not fitting correctly on a specific part of the tire and creating a hop on rotation. I've taken the tire off, massaged, changed the tube, used water and soap and nothing works. I finally took it to my LBS and the head service mgr. worked with it for about 20 minutes and he was able to stabilize but admitted it was not perfect.

I have the same problem with the Maxxis High Rollers I have on one of my mtb's. Tried everything but the same spot still giving me the problems. I'm just living with it.
Old 11-04-23, 07:58 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Old 11-04-23, 09:17 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 93 Posts
Just had this ‘87 Stumpjumper out on the El Dorado Trail today-
Old 11-05-23, 10:22 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Not anything really special, but I think it's going to be a nice bike, and in the right size for me for a change - For sure, no extreme trails here, so I think it'll do fine.
I saw this for $110, with a bad photo - When I went to look at it, it had a Wallmart type nutted front wheel on it, and I thought I was going to either walk, or try and talk him down radically, which probably would have amounted to the same thing.
But when I mentioned the wheel, he said "Oh, you want the original front wheel?" - He went in the house, and I expected him to bring out a real potato chip, but he came out with a front wheel that was absolutely pristine! Go figure - Why would he think the original wheel wasn't of any value?
The bike was actually in pretty good shape, but it had been "maintained" with white lithium spray grease, and I mean everywhere, and it was a real mess.
I believe the bike is a 1996.

So here it is, after I cleaned it up.
I actually had most all the parts on it now, stashed away, including new Panaracer tires, Microshift thumbies, and a nice Jim Blackburn rack.
I did decide to put in a new BB cartridge, and buy a new shorter stem. Oh, and new tubes, since it has Presta rims.
And I'm going to have to get a new cassette, as after a brief trial ride, I think the original one has a problem.

The paint (powder coat?) deserves a mention - I believe the color was called "Ice Violet", with a matte finish.
It was really chalky and streaky-looking, and even after cleaning, it looked pretty bad to my eye.
They make special cleaners, etc for this kind of finish, to preserve the matte look, but I was wary of spending money, and not knowing if they work.
So, I just bit the bullet, and wiped it with Penetrol (a paint additive), which I've used on chalky fiberglass gel coat, before - The result looks excellent, to me anyway.
After it dried, it really made the color pop, got rid of the chalkiness and streaks, and although I guess it has a little more sheen, I like it much better!
Old 11-05-23, 03:23 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson

No issues whatsoever with Billy Bonkers on my Mavic M261 rims. Haven't had them on any of my other 26in rims.
Old 11-05-23, 03:47 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
3 I picked up this summer. The Mongoose is the only one I will be keeping. I put street tires on it for riding with my wife they will ball short easy rides.

Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 11-05-23, 04:01 PM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I have a Haro Vector - Yours looks to be in much nicer shape than mine :~)
Old 11-05-23, 07:21 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Love your Timberline. here's mine.
Old 11-12-23, 10:35 PM
ElGenerale

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hproduguidon
the first mountain bike sold in France
Peugeot crazy horse vtt1 1982/83
Well, I've seen a few Peugeots that I kinda liked, but this one changes the game. Wonder if I'll ever see one for sale.
Likes For ElGenerale:
Old 11-13-23, 08:09 AM
swissycle

Bikes: ~1982 Mondia Halbrenner, 1989 Giant Sierra ATB, 2021 Schindelhauer Siegfried Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Until this was posted, I had been wracking my brain to remember exactly what I was riding in the mid to late 90s (green w/ bullhorns, purchased new in '95, was as far as I had gotten). Thanks for jogging my memory, and enjoy the ride!
Old 11-13-23, 09:51 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by swissycle
Until this was posted, I had been wracking my brain to remember exactly what I was riding in the mid to late 90s (green w/ bullhorns, purchased new in '95, was as far as I had gotten). Thanks for jogging my memory, and enjoy the ride!
My neighbor has gifted me some nice bikes, 84' Stumpy/Trek 950, so this one just went to his grandson.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-16-23, 09:27 AM
curbtender

Charlie still struggles.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/charlie-c...ource=facebook
Old 11-16-23, 10:51 AM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
A new project has fallen into my lap!

Talking with my coworker about a recent Trek Antelope 830 build, he offered me his old MTB but couldn't remember what it was. He brought to work and its a fairly stock, '97 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. From looking at the catalogs, online pics, etc., it appears to be a large frame. The stem and handlebars have been swapped and the stock bar-ends are gone. The original 3x8 drivetrain is complete and the hubs and rims run smooth and true. The headset is wobbly and appears to be missing the top cap (I've got a new one ordered). My plan is to dismantle, clean, lube and reassemble.

Likes For clarkbre:
Old 11-16-23, 11:05 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Just had this ‘87 Stumpjumper out on the El Dorado Trail today-
Looks rad; I think we need more photos of this bike.
Is that the original green paint colour?
Are your stem/bars gold anodized?
So many questions...
Old 11-16-23, 11:26 AM
curbtender

Originally Posted by clarkbre

Talking with my coworker about a recent Trek Antelope 830 build, he offered me his old MTB but couldn't remember what it was. He brought to work and its a fairly stock, '97 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. From looking at the catalogs, online pics, etc., it appears to be a large frame. The stem and handlebars have been swapped and the stock bar-ends are gone. The original 3x8 drivetrain is complete and the hubs and rims run smooth and true. The headset is wobbly and appears to be missing the top cap (I've got a new one ordered). My plan is to dismantle, clean, lube and reassemble.
See a gap on that adjuster. Maybe just needs a spacer.
Old 11-16-23, 11:33 AM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
See a gap on that adjuster. Maybe just needs a spacer.
That gap doesn't close up. I tried snugging it down with the star nut but there is a missing piece. Specifically, the top piece that fits on top of the bearing. For less than $12 I can replace it with a new unit.
Old 11-16-23, 01:07 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkbre

Looks like the same size as mine.

Size specs from the 1997 technical manual

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.