Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 12:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
That explains a lot.
Did a little checking and found it is a popular jeep trail.
So OHV and street legal vehicles use it for recreation and both are legal.
Old 05-03-22, 07:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
metro san diego over and up to mount soledad/la jolla and back in roundabout fashion. took the least scenic route up mount soledad. no distractions.
really hazy but decent enuff, mid-60's day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7084300546
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-08-22, 07:41 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Messed around the Whittier Hills again on a cloudy cool morning.
Really digging Edgeridge Dr and the views. The third time up, not so much.
48 miles and 6300 feet of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39355417
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-16-22, 12:29 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
A chill 30 miles to Brown Mountain Dam Waterfall. Though I don't like doing this ride often. The trail is fairly flat, but the bike sustains quite a bit of abuse with all the creek crossings, jagged rocks and sections where you have to carry your bike. I actually prefer riding my single speed gravel bike on this trail just to keep things simple!

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 05-16-22, 08:20 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Explored Cogswell Dam from Hwy 39 with the usual buddies.

The area was closed from the Bobcat Fire but is now open on the weekends to hikers and cyclists. FYI there is another construction gate and trailers about a mile from the top that you're not supposed to go past. The last bits of the climb are double digit gradients. We got past and the crew up there was nice enough to give us a few mins to snap a group photo. However I'd imagine they keep it locked down since they're actively working on the reservoir.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7142562350
Likes For oris:
Old 05-16-22, 06:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Yesterday my son and I rode 17.5 miles, mostly on Irvine bike trails, on our respective Trek hybrid bikes, and set a distance record for him (and for me too on my hybrid bike).
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-16-22, 09:09 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

three quickies totaling 49 miles in san diego county. one coastal effort to get the yearly camp pendleton pass, one inland effort to hit a new road (for me)
enroute to a fave road and one because it was close but not too close to home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7154150850

https://www.strava.com/activities/7154543358

https://www.strava.com/activities/7155025732
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-17-22, 09:57 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by oris
Explored Cogswell Dam from Hwy 39 with the usual buddies.

The area was closed from the Bobcat Fire but is now open on the weekends to hikers and cyclists. FYI there is another construction gate and trailers about a mile from the top that you're not supposed to go past. The last bits of the climb are double digit gradients. We got past and the crew up there was nice enough to give us a few mins to snap a group photo. However I'd imagine they keep it locked down since they're actively working on the reservoir.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7142562350
If I plan to do this ride, is it safe riding solo? The problem is getting my riding buddies coordinated and the logistics of getting out there. Sometimes it's just easier for me to head out on my own!
Old 05-17-22, 10:20 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
If I plan to do this ride, is it safe riding solo? The problem is getting my riding buddies coordinated and the logistics of getting out there. Sometimes it's just easier for me to head out on my own!
Yes, you are perfectly fine. I would take it easy and enjoy the scenery.

We started from Encanto Park and came through Hwy 39. You can park at start at the OHV or campground nearby if you want it to be shorter. The main gate to the trail (West Fork) will be closed but there is a turnstile along with a small opening on the opposite side. The trail is entirely paved but is a bit broken; watch out for steel plates and potholes on the route. Watch the speed on the descent back; you won't be able to blast through there since the trail is quite narrow and has blind turns.
Likes For oris:
Old 05-17-22, 11:49 AM
jonathanf2

Yes, you are perfectly fine. I would take it easy and enjoy the scenery.

We started from Encanto Park and came through Hwy 39. You can park at start at the OHV or campground nearby if you want it to be shorter. The main gate to the trail (West Fork) will be closed but there is a turnstile along with a small opening on the opposite side. The trail is entirely paved but is a bit broken; watch out for steel plates and potholes on the route. Watch the speed on the descent back; you won't be able to blast through there since the trail is quite narrow and has blind turns.
Great thanks for the info! I showed my buddies your Strava map and I might be able to encourage their lazy butts to go ride this weekend. The fact that it's closed to cars and the weather's cooling down this week would make it ideal for a Sunday ride. Plus double-digit elevation is what I look forward to!

BTW - At which section is the HWY closed? Thanks!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 05-17-22 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-17-22, 09:31 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

so decided to hit pine creek rd here in san diego county in the laguna mountains. oof. had been 2-3 years. 35 miles with plenty
of them packed with pain on the pine creek climb. think las flores (or tuna canyon illegally ascending) in the sammos but with bleepy pavement. ridiculous multiple ramps of varied lengths but a few too long for any known gears
on this planet. still, über-epic and worthy of hitting if you are so disposed. road q not the best, especially in the make or break middle
sector of the climb. road q will only be getting worse as not seeing it getting repaved...like ever. zero traffic in the boonies. not in shape for that climb but i don't think i've ever been in shape enough (nor will i be) for that stretch.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7160533520/overview

unexpected bonus was finding brand new pavé on sunrise highway from the laguna meadows hiking/mtb staging area down to the 8 fwy. smoothest descent ever on
that road (and there have been plenty). the meadows themselves were at the height of greenery for this year. hit the area now if you're contemplating it.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-18-22 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-22-22, 07:05 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
A chill 30 miles to Brown Mountain Dam Waterfall. Though I don't like doing this ride often. The trail is fairly flat, but the bike sustains quite a bit of abuse with all the creek crossings, jagged rocks and sections where you have to carry your bike. I actually prefer riding my single speed gravel bike on this trail just to keep things simple!

What size cassette are you running there?
Old 05-23-22, 12:29 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by CeeDotA
What size cassette are you running there?
It's an 11-36t 10 speed with a 105 R7000 rear derailleur and a GRX 46/30t 10 speed crankset.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 05-23-22, 07:07 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Well it technically wasn't SoCal but I was in Vegas with my wife this weekend so at 0530 Sat. I left our hotel for a ride up in the Henderson hills. Headed south then up Raiders Way & Volunteer to the Anthem Hills/Del Webb area. Looped around up & down then over to the Seven Hills loop. Nice morning the winds had calmed down substantially overnight. Didn't see any cyclists until I was headed back down the hill guess I got up early. Judging by the numbers heading up it's a popular area. New roads & minimal traffic. Took Sunridge Heights back down through some quite streets back to the resort. Temp was only high 70s when I got back @ 0930.
Beautiful morning in the high desert.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 05-23-22, 07:53 AM
CAT7RDR

Took the 29er out Sunday for a spin up into San Dimas Canyon. The reservoir is completely drained for some reason? A month ago, it was about 10 feet down.
Had visions of riding up GMR when about a dozen moto-racers made the turn from Sierra Madre onto GMR. Not the peace and quiet I'm looking for.
The PED gate at LARIO is now open but the entrance for vehicles is still closed. Came back through the country club corridors in Covina Hills and South Hills.
76 miles and 5K of climb. The new Schwalbe Green Guard touring tires are a mixed bag; nice smooth ride but the weight makes acceleration more of a task.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39527269

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-23-22 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-24-22, 08:24 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

headed out with fellow forum member Tycho Brahe and did some san berdoo dirt/roads.
been wanting to hit california's only state highway that's not entirely paved (has a 4.79 mile-or so-dirt segment) for a while.
consider that itch scratched. decently difficult. we rode approx 2/3 of the dirt ascent and hoofed it approx 1/3. my partner
in crime termed it best-"idiots." a bent rear der after a 0.0 mph fall in the soup about 1.5 miles up the dirt only added to the giggles
farther up when the paved grades really got fun. the "idiots" were riding '23's and '25's which really really forces you to concentrate on
your line, weighting and technique but can't recommend it in good conscience. you'll want a gravel or mtb to deal with that
dirty segment. fairly boonies and it was unique approaching lake arrowhead from the roadie verboten north side. absolutely beautiful day
rolling through lake arrowhead, blue jay, cedar glen, twin peaks, lake gregory and crestline. a bit toasty down below with a 9am start. we shoulda done 8am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tate_Route_173
https://www.strava.com/activities/71...99814643550434
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-25-22, 03:24 PM
oris
I like speed

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
headed out with fellow forum member Tycho Brahe and did some san berdoo dirt/roads.
been wanting to hit california's only state highway that's not entirely paved (has a 4.79 mile-or so-dirt segment) for a while.
consider that itch scratched. decently difficult. we rode approx 2/3 of the dirt ascent and hoofed it approx 1/3. my partner
in crime termed it best-"idiots." a bent rear der after a 0.0 mph fall in the soup about 1.5 miles up the dirt only added to the giggles
farther up when the paved grades really got fun. the "idiots" were riding '23's and '25's which really really forces you to concentrate on
your line, weighting and technique but can't recommend it in good conscience. you'll want a gravel or mtb to deal with that
dirty segment. fairly boonies and it was unique approaching lake arrowhead from the roadie verboten north side. absolutely beautiful day
rolling through lake arrowhead, blue jay, cedar glen, twin peaks, lake gregory and crestline. a bit toasty down below with a 9am start. we shoulda done 8am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tate_Route_173
https://www.strava.com/activities/71...99814643550434
I saw that on Strava; honestly was jealous looking at the route. How would you made the route sans the dirt section?
Old 05-26-22, 12:46 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

I saw that on Strava; honestly was jealous looking at the route. How would you made the route sans the dirt section?

you don't. that's why we did it. lake arrowhead from the north as a roadie is "idiot" territory. can't recommend unless you know exactly what you're getting into. roadies doing gravel/mtb...

west end of the san berdoos are waay underrated riding territory (as are much of the san berdoos). no one posts about it except this donnie dorko. oodles of chutes and ladders. plenty of little hamlets and towns (cedar glen, twin peaks, blue jay, crestline, lake gregory, lake arrowhead) nearby so if you've gotta grab some rocket fuel, water or snakx, it's never far away. plenty of shade as well. mornings are cool. afternoons this time of year are warm but not
hot. uv rays ain't no joke at 5k+ so it'll feel 3-5 degrees warmer than it is. winds in the area (unless on the edges/ridges) are minimized. you can plot a route on strava, wahoo, garmin, ride, etc, whathaveyou but the routes and roads get wiggly and confusing. if planning a first ride up there, i'd stick with one main destination as an in-and-out or the main ca hwys (138/189/18/173) as a loop. local signage is okay but not great.
give yourself plenty of time and don't be in a rush-otherwise, you'll likely get frustrated/lost. memorize/take pics of the framework of main highways and you'll eventually run into one. this area is just as confusing as the de luz area on the edges of orange/riverside counties.

many get giddy (geddy-helium?) posting about the east side san berdoos-big bear lake area (which is cool) and ca hwy 18 from lucerne valley to san berdoo is arguably the best, long hwy in all of socal and onyx summit + the 38 yadda yadda. don't sleep on the west-side berdoos.

all that said...will say more. ca hwy 138 descent from old mill rd (towards silverwood lake) is one of the best descents (much of it in the shade) in all of socal. the ascent is a beast but equally worthy if you're a wacky nutter. much lower traffic than those south-side ascents/descents of the 18/330.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-26-22 at 01:23 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-26-22, 08:22 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Self-depracation appreciated but at least you did it once! I've always enjoyed seeing a lonely squiggly line on a map and thinking "hey I've been on that road!".
"And if you ever wondered why we ride this carousel- We did it for the stories we could tell."
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 05-26-22, 04:06 PM
CAT7RDR

Got out for a midweek spin in the Whittier Hills.
Hills are turning brown but it is close to home and I have no complaints.
34 miles and 4200 feet of climb on a sunny hazy day.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39574478

On Skyline overlooking Turnbull Cyn Rd looking SE.

Rideout Overlook with Sycamore Cyn and Dark Canyon to the NE.

Rock Garden Rest Area just west of the Ridge Fire Rd.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-30-22, 01:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

local, metro san diego 34-spot. hoping to do something a bit more "out of town" tomorrow.
Old 05-31-22, 07:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

no such luck. 54-spot rolling thru the sdsu area, del cerro, mission gorge park, clairemont mesa, clairemont, mount soledad/la jolla,
pb, mb, sports area/midway area, mission hills, hillcrest, uni heights, north park and city heights. kept it local. maybe next week but those darned gas prices...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-04-22, 05:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
You guys have such epic climbs! Yesterday I just rode down to and around Newport Back Bay and back. < 1,000 ft. climbing.

It might just be my imagination, but the head winds encountered during the southbound leg seem to be getting stronger over the years, even as my fitness slowly improves.
Old 06-06-22, 07:47 AM
oris
I like speed

Went out to do a one armed lobster with the guys on Saturday. Definitely a fun ride but I've got to a do a better job with the nutrition. This was the first time I bonked in a long time. Otherwise weather was great, GMR was quite busy in both directions.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7255590671
Old 06-07-22, 09:54 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

another tuesday foray with fellow forumite Tycho Brahe in la. wanted mountains but legs said flats. we compromised.
griffith park/h-wood area down to glendale, up chevy chase then linda vista up then down to the rose bowl. bounced outta pasadena
and rolled thru highland park, elysian park, echo park, k-town and over to culver city with a stint on venice blvd. ballona creek over to marina del rey
and up to venice beach for seated "provisions." up to santa monica and the chautauqua/entrada hill to san vicente blvd back into westside la.
wilshire to bevvy hiils and up rodeo/benedict canyon (with a slight detour to navigate that crazy, just looking for trouble 5-point stopsignapalooza intersection on beverly).
up to woolly mully via benedict canyon with a needed stop at the tree people outpost (decent restrooms/good b-room faucet water) at mully/coldwater canyon i-section.
drop down to h-wood blvd and back to griffith park.

that descent from the top of linda vista enroute to the rose bowl is getting kinda dicey pavement-wise. watch out. wilshire and h-wood blvd were pretty doable during afternoon rush hour traffic but undoubtedly helped a little to have two riders with blinkies hitting it together (single-file). waay easier than the pch stretch between malibu/santa monica tho. much of northern fig st. repaved and super-smooth into d-town la + a chicken boy sighting (always awesome!) https://www.chickenboy.com/the-true-...icken-boy.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Boy

nice, weird-*ss cross section of la. fun, funky, challenging with plenty of the reasons why we live in socal but not recommended for all audiences.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7272592652

Last edited by diphthong; 06-07-22 at 10:57 PM.
Likes For diphthong:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.