Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"Those Bicyclists Blow Right Through Red Lights!"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"Those Bicyclists Blow Right Through Red Lights!"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 09:09 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nope. He blows right through the intersection. Well, 12-15 mph "blowing through".
JoeyBike! You're visiting Texas and you didn't even call??!!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-12-16, 12:44 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
You are correct in absolute terms, but part of the theme of this thread is perceptions towards cyclists. It's not the fact that he was going slow in general. It's that he used the sidewalk to bypass dozens of cars, then decided he would switch to the street while the sidewalk was still available, causing many cars that otherwise would have made the light to wait another cycle. Maybe the gridlock continued, maybe it didn't, but to folks trying to get home there's hope that things free up some beyond that light. Still a dick move in my opinion. Cyclists want the road, but not the rules. He's fortunate not to have gotten hit by the lead car. From that car's perspective he came from nowhere.
Along with Genec's comment; over the years, I have had motorist illegally pull onto the shoulder on a downhill section to make right hand turns way down the road. They have caused me real delays in my commute, while the cyclist you and other motorist friends are triggered over, caused no actual delays.

If the cyclist was illegally riding on the sidewalk, fine, but if the sidewalk riding was legal, then the motorist should shut up, smarten up and start cycle commuting, using a bicycle to its full legal advantage.
Old 09-12-16, 03:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I have exactly the opposite view. With a little experience and a little study of the maps, I find Fort Worth residential streets to be very good for bicycle navigation.
Yeah, I probably just need to explore a little more from a two-wheel perspective.
Old 09-12-16, 08:18 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So is it a "dick move" when motorists block the bike lane so they can eventually make a right turn on red? No, I don't mean move into the BL to make a legal right turn, I mean cut into the BL well ahead of the turn, so they can pass cars on the right several hundred yards before the actual turn, and in doing so, block the BL from cyclists?

This was a regular move by motorists on Genesee Road south bound approaching Governor Drive in San Diego. The MV traffic always backed up the hill to the last cross street, Nobel. A cyclist moving at only 8MPH would cover that mile in minutes, whereas a motorist could take about a half an hour... motorists would often move right into the BL long before the turn at Governor and block the BL from cyclists.
People in cars *and* people on bicycles mad at Peter King.

"People. Were. Furious. Though the post received many retweets and likes, it generated many more angry responses from San Diegans, cyclists and pretty much anyone who thinks the rules of the road are not voluntary."

-mr. bill
Old 09-12-16, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
This is a common statement made by motorists about bicyclists. I contend this virtually never happens.About the only time I see anything close to this happening is on the streets of Manhattan
really? come visit Boston & Cambridge!
Old 09-12-16, 08:51 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
People in cars *and* people on bicycles mad at Peter King.

"People. Were. Furious. Though the post received many retweets and likes, it generated many more angry responses from San Diegans, cyclists and pretty much anyone who thinks the rules of the road are not voluntary."

-mr. bill
Well good...

And yes, I have seen SDPD become involved... I recall one situation where a motorcycle cop parked on a bit of triangle buffer area and started pulling cars over that were in the BL... signaling cyclists to just keep going. He didn't ticket the motorists, he just redirected them back into the MV traffic.

From the saddle of my bike, it was just so cool to watch as I slowly approached my turn... impeded by the cars in front of me. This was on a 50MPH road, that was just clogged to capacity with single passenger cars... meanwhile cyclists where just trying to get on by...

Bottom line, cyclists rarely cause any real delays in traffic... the real delays are caused by all the single passenger motor vehicles that fill the streets twice a day.
Old 09-12-16, 01:07 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, I probably just need to explore a little more from a two-wheel perspective.
There's also a fair amount of tribal knowledge you get from talking to other riders.

Old 09-12-16, 05:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
There's also a fair amount of tribal knowledge you get from talking to other riders.
True, dat. I've learned a lot from chattering with you and other folks at group rides. My bumbling around on my own or relying on Google maps and street view have been very hit or miss... lots of misses, like that thing a couple of weeks ago with Altamesa to Lakeside near Pecan Valley golf course. Yikes.
Old 09-13-16, 08:42 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
really? come visit Boston & Cambridge!
Are many of the bicyclists supposedly running red lights getting hit? Why not? Drivers in Boston and Cambridge are terrible. It can't be because the drivers are so good.
Old 09-13-16, 08:49 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Are many of the bicyclists supposedly running red lights getting hit? Why not? Drivers in Boston and Cambridge are terrible. It can't be because the drivers are so good.
Or maybe running red lights in a careful manner is not as dangerous as some people think. Just a random thought.
Old 09-13-16, 09:51 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Or maybe running red lights in a careful manner is not as dangerous as some people think. Just a random thought.
If you watch the JoeyBike videos (like the one I posted upthread a few posts), it looks crazy- lane splitting, running red lights, but if you watch you can see a lot of calculated maneuvers. I think that if you understand how motor traffic behaves at intersections, and understand a little human nature, you can "blow through" red lights with apparent abandon but relative safety. If you understand the rules followed by traffic, but don't commit to following them yourself, you can navigate among the cars pretty nimbly by following your own rules. You better pay attention though or you'll get squished.

I'm reminded of traffic in Rome, Italy. To American eyes it looks crazy, but after some observation the unwritten rules of the road emerge. They don't follow the laws like we do at intersections and staying in lanes, but they know what the local norms are and people are largely consistent. So it works.

Old 09-13-16, 10:29 AM
mr_bill

Yes. Around here, roughly:

1/4 bicycle accidents with injuries are because of aggressive people and/or distracted people DRIVING motor vehicles. (Most people are not aggressive btw. But the ones who are, ARE.)
1/4 bicycle accidents with injuries are from people in cars saying SMIDSY. (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You.)
1/4 bicycle accidents with injuries are DOORING (People in cars not looking, cyclists trying to stay out of the way of the above, or even being bullied there.)
1/4 bicycle accidents with injuries are from people on bicycles running stop signs and red lights.

You won't want to believe that of course.

Because Boston (and Our Fair City - Cambridge - MA) drivers are so predictably unpredictable, everyone has to watch out to deal with the (somewhat predictable) conditions. We are simultaneously "so bad" that we are "sort of good."

So, what would result in a crash in many places "only" ends up with a slam on the brakes and maybe lay on the horn event, or a dodge-em. It often takes two oblivions to come together in a crash.

BTW, it's totally possible to obey the law *and* be safe around here - while driving a car, while riding a bike, or while walking. Pointing to the scofflaws and emulating them bends us away from where lots of us would like to be.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-13-16 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 10:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
where do you live?
Old 09-14-16, 01:46 PM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
where do you live?
In a semi-rural/suburban area in the Northeast US.
Old 03-08-17, 12:32 PM
AGGRO
Mistadobalina

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept Flo wheelset

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We'll see what happens

New bill would let bicyclists roll through stop signs - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Old 03-09-17, 04:21 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Its ludicrous to think cyclist is or should be treated like any other vehicle.
Yet many cyclists spend half their time protesting that they are.
Old 03-09-17, 03:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Proud of my city (New Orleans) for not requiring tedious legislation on this matter. NOPD has better things to do and are always short handed. Never heard of anyone here getting a citation for rolling a stop sign safely on a bicycle. Even right in plain view of NOPD. They do not care.
Old 03-09-17, 05:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Proud of my city (New Orleans) for not requiring tedious legislation on this matter. NOPD has better things to do and are always short handed. Never heard of anyone here getting a citation for rolling a stop sign safely on a bicycle. Even right in plain view of NOPD. They do not care.
Joey,

here the cops are even more supportive. I treat red lights and stop signs as unmarked intersections, ie. check for cross traffic and proceed if/when safe.

But if there's a police car there I'll stop and wait with them. Over half the time, the officer will crank down his window and ask me what I'm waiting for.

Around here (except in parts of NYC proper) the police are very happy to let bicyclists stay below the radar until/unless they make nuisances of themselves.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-10-17, 10:01 AM
mr_bill

3rd District - Lakeview & Gentilly.

-mr. bill
Old 03-16-17, 10:30 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Those stops were not about traffic issues per se. More an exercise in profiling, screening, and "legally" harassing a certain type of person. But technically...you got me!
Old 03-16-17, 10:57 AM
mr_bill

Those stops were not about traffic issues per se. More an exercise in profiling, screening, and "legally" harassing a certain type of person. But technically...you got me!
Technically, your back yard. And your front yard.

(But yes, the article was really talking about east of City Park, wasn't it?)

-mr. bill