Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anything particularly unsafe about flat bars???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anything particularly unsafe about flat bars???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 12:50 PM
R.M.W.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If you were looking to join a biking group as a social club, keep looking. Her club is not for you if her attitude is any indication of the membership.
Old 11-08-21, 01:42 PM
rrjmaier

Bikes: Koga-Miyata Traveller, Specialized Roubaix, Brompton folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
What a complete nonsense this is about safety

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I asked a bike shop here in Waterloo Region Canada about a straight bar bike on a group ride and they said it was a no go. They also said it was because a lot of riders of straight bar bikes didn't have the skills needed to ride in a group. Perhaps this lady was of the same opinion?

Cheers
I do ride drops and flat and do group rides in both configurations and doesn't matter a hoot what bike I take.
I can ride a similar position on my flat bars (with horns) compared to my drops, only that a very low position on the flats becomes a bit more tiring after a while compared to the drops.

And again, do not judge anybody by their bike, size, shape, gender or colour.
It's pure snobbism and parochial thinking.

In therms of safety, there is NO difference,
In terms of bike handling, I might actually have more control on the flat bars as they are a bit wider (48cm versus 44 for the drops) but that has simply something to do with skills training.

Stay off this lady and her group and enjoy your rides as you do without submitting to group pressure.

Have fun.
Old 11-08-21, 01:50 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think the troll whose appearance started this side-discussion is a) not in the least interesting and b) the subject of a lot of people wondering why he hasn't been permanently banned already. People have actually left the Forum over what this guy gets away with, one of whom was a really good poster.
Wow.
You know of people that actually left the forum(as opposed to not actually)over what someone not in the least interesting had to say?
How could someone so seemingly banal cause anyone to actually leave a forum?
Either way it’s nice to know that someone is playing pretend moderator and keeping a close eye on all of the hurt feelings inflicted by the uninteresting
Old 11-08-21, 01:58 PM
bcstones

Bikes: Bridgestone MB2, Ryan Vanguard recumbent, Linear recumbent,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting question...tho, I might have asked the lady why she had that opinion (was it really her's or was it something the club put out there). Anyway, interesting responses, have read them all. I agree w/the majority (ignoring the troll attempt to sidetrack the thread) - bovine scat therory! I read & watched from those who thought drop bars were safer, seems that the concern was about falls & injuries and jostling within the pack for position. Sure made me be glad I ride solo, even with a group. I don't care who's up front...I ride like I run (when I could run) - no faster than I can speak (lovely idea from a 60s book "the Zen of Running"). I don't ride as a social gathering, I ride cuz I like to ride. It reminds me of something I heard from a bikerider who happened to ride a Harley: "It ain't what you ride, it's just that you ride." So Enjoy the Ride! Leave the ignorant to their own compost pile.

In 60+years of cycling, I've met far too many of those called "elitist" here (I use the term "cobheads") - those who cycle & must have the latest gear, the latest fad, measure their worth in grams of weight & stylecolor of clothing). I kinda sorta think that the bicycle shops, who create riding groups, look at their bottom line - profit. If the group wants to exclude flat bars, then the shop will support that. Makes me wonder if those elitist/cobheads would allow recumbents....

Gotta admit, since my Bridgestone MB2 has flat bars w/bar-end extensions, that are the same width as my shoulders...I measured my shoulder width - 18" or 45.72cm.

Anyway, any bike is safe as the rider...(one reason I ride solo)
Old 11-08-21, 02:07 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
I was on a wine tour last night and got talking to another older couple that lives in the area and are into cycling. She rides in a local club and was telling me about it, there's 4 levels and she rides with level 4 (the slowest). I know you can't really tell someones ability looking at them but she's early 60's, 5'3" or so, and didn't appear to be particularly athletic, where I'm 46, 6'0", and though not the strongest rider not in bad shape either. I was thinking if I rode in her group with the level 4's that it sounded great to get out for a not too intense social ride with a group, so I said I'd look into it.

I built my bike myself to best fit the type of riding I do, it probably falls in the hybrid category, maybe flat bar gravel bike(ish). It's still a decent bike though. When it came up that I rode a flat bar her response was "Oh, we ride road bikes. You wouldn't be able to keep up. Besides they wouldn't let you ride anyway, flat bars are too unsafe, you need to have drop bars". I never got a chance to ask her what that meant before the tour was over.

Now I'm fairly confident that if she can keep up with the group then I'd be able to too, road bike or not. However, what could she possibly mean that flat bars are too unsafe?
i’m puzzled by the assertion, “flat bars are unsafe”. I have flat bar mtn bikes, drop bar road bikes, and an aerobar tri/tt bike. I’m generally uncomfortable riding is a paceline with someone on aero bars (regardless of what i’m riding), but i have no particular objection to someone riding flatbars. If the rider can keep up on flatbars, they tend to punch a really nice hole in the air. Again, i don’t think i’m a less competent rider when i’m on flat bars…perhaps, a bit slower.
Old 11-08-21, 02:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Anyway, I doubt they are rubbing elbows in turns. A flat bar in a really aggressive ride could hook a drop bar. But in this instance probably irrelevant.
Yup, I was going to mention this - in tight company with a mix of bars, hooking like this can happen. Last year, during our casual end-of-year ride, a couple of club members got their bars (one flat, one drop) tangled and went down, resulting in a broken collarbone.

That said, most D group rides probably aren't going to ride too tightly; maybe it was a gatekeeping blowoff or maybe it's a parroted rule handed down from the A and B rides. Whatever, move on - you're probably not missing out on much.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-08-21, 02:37 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
There's always somebody older, fatter, and faster than you.
Last summer I was feeling quite spry and self-assured so I signed up for a 4-day, 230 mile ride. There were ~400 cyclists. Over the first 3 days I was unable to pass anybody. One woman, who I met over breakfast on the first day, was 73 years old and had undergone a partial right lung removal 9 months earlier; she blew me away every day.
Old 11-08-21, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Whatever, move on - you're probably not missing out on much.
No. We need nearly 500 more posts to catch up the No (non) Sense thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-08-21, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
No. We need nearly 500 more posts to catch up the No (non) Sense thread.

OK, fine. Have you ever tried to put your brother's eye out with a set of drop bars? It's almost as difficult as throwing him under the bus.
Old 11-08-21, 02:47 PM
WhyFi

It's almost as difficult as throwing him under the bus.
Pfff - I do that just about every Christmas gathering.
Old 11-08-21, 02:59 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I rode this bike for years in the fast group with the local bike club. And when I say fast group...average speed for a 50 mile ride was 22-23 mph. I had no problems keeping up.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-advanced-1
Likes For prj71:
Old 11-08-21, 03:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Pfff - I do that just about every Christmas gathering.

Don't undersell the accomplishment. I'll bet it's even harder than usual when the buses are on a holiday schedule.
Old 11-08-21, 03:25 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The charitable explanation is an inexperienced rider misunderstanding bullhorn bars (triathlon base bars) versus flat bars. Since bullhorns and aero bars are banned in mass start racing it would be logical for a club to also ban them from group rides. By this interpretation flat bars, riser bars, and traditional touring bars would be OK and MTB bar ends would be a grey area.
Old 11-08-21, 03:32 PM
WhyFi

Don't undersell the accomplishment. I'll bet it's even harder than usual when the buses are on a holiday schedule.
Ohhhhh - and here I thought that you were talking figuratively. I should have known better.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-08-21, 03:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ohhhhh - and here I thought that you were talking figuratively. I should have known better.

It's always struck me as a peculiar metaphor. Why "throw"? Why a "bus"?
Old 11-08-21, 04:57 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
It's always struck me as a peculiar metaphor. Why "throw"? Why a "bus"?
Kick him under a cement truck?

(Frankly I think it makes a better mental image anyway.)
Likes For Kat12:
Old 11-08-21, 05:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kat12
Kick him under a cement truck?

(Frankly I think it makes a better mental image anyway.)
Flip him in front of the ice cream truck. Kinda festive.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-08-21, 06:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The thing is that drop bars are not any faster than flat bars. Majority of people who use drop bars have their hands on the hoods which is very similar to having your hands on the flat bars. There is no aero differences between the two. You only gain some aero advantage when riding in the drops, and that is very rare because majority of these " fake pros " don't even have enough mobility to ride in the drops.
wut?
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-08-21, 08:26 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Flip him in front of the ice cream truck. Kinda festive.
I like that one too. Only... we're still allowed to get ice cream during the police investigation, right???
Likes For Kat12:
Old 11-09-21, 05:21 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Any evidence any of that's dangerous? Also, people mount plenty of stuff on drop bars. Everything you listed except the bar ends/hand stations, extensions.
Was making a joke.
Antler owners seem to take a lot ribbing sometimes.
Something about Fred
Old 11-09-21, 05:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Was making a joke.
Antler owners seem to take a lot ribbing sometimes.
Something about Fred

OK. Honestly, people say such ridiculous things about safety that it's impossible to know when someone's joking. A guy posted a few weeks ago that taking a left turn from a center turn lane was unsafe because you had to cross traffic lanes to get to the turn lane. I'm still trying to figure out how he thought it was possible to take a left turn anywhere without crossing traffic lanes.

ETA--and no, he wasn't posting from a "drive on the left side of the road" country.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-09-21 at 08:05 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-09-21, 05:36 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
The charitable explanation is an inexperienced rider misunderstanding bullhorn bars (triathlon base bars) versus flat bars. Since bullhorns and aero bars are banned in mass start racing it would be logical for a club to also ban them from group rides. By this interpretation flat bars, riser bars, and traditional touring bars would be OK and MTB bar ends would be a grey area.
If you want to go by that logic, flat bars are also banned in mass start races, it's drop bar only. Not just UCI sanctioned events - most (local to me, anyway) granfondos where I am actually go by these rules, too.

Frankly I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't ride road bikes to have the experience riding road bikes in a group and I really don't want some guy in front with a MTB squeezing the brakes and causing everyone to pile up or pulling some other stunt.
​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 11-09-21 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-09-21, 07:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Frankly I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't ride road bikes to have the experience riding road bikes in a group and I really don't want some guy in front with a MTB squeezing the brakes and causing everyone to pile up or pulling some other stunt. ​​​​​​
Classic "Steps up and takes a mighty swing with the bat ... but it's a football game."

OBVIOUSLY someone who doesn't ride road bikes doesn't have experience riding road bike in a group---he has no experience riding road bikes. Nothing to do with bars or brakes or whatever.

Of course a lot of people ride many disciplines ... cyclocross, MTB, and road---and have plenty of experience in riding around other riders and on all kinds of crazy terrain. Peter Sagan raced in the Olympic MTB race ... pretty sure he can handle himself in a road peloton, too, eh? And I cannot recall the name of the guys who were cyclocross champion several times and also raced road (Wout van Aert, Mathieu van der Poel, Zdeněk Štybar .... ) A lot of guys came from MTB to road after they got tired of getting beat up on MTB course or wanted more money or fame .....

So a guy who rides an MTB isn't necessarily "squeezing the brakes" (because it is bad to brake in the peloton ... if the guy in front of you brakes, Hit Him!) and frankly if a guy (or girl) showed up at a group ride on an MTB and kept up, s/he would get All of my respect .... and if s/he Couldn't keep up .... then it wouldn't be an issue, would it? The people off the back aren't holding up the people up front.

Further, the OP in this thread guy showed up with a flat bar Road Bike ....

The whole issue was whether Flat Bars Are More Dangerous Than Drop bars on a group ride. Your post completely missed every point.

As to the original point .... if the issue is bar width, shouldn't there be a maximum bar width then? For safety? I like 42 but I have 44s on one bike ... but that really big guy next tom, he must be six-foot six and weight 300 pounds ... and he as 46-cm bars. He Is A Menace. I need him banned ... for safety. Oh, wait ... it is up to me not to hit other riders no matter how wide, tall, short, slim, whatever? And up to other riders not to hit me? And riders can collide even if they are skinny and have narrow bars? Watching any of the flat stages of any Grand Tour will demonstrate that. Those guys are skinny, have drop bars, and wipe each other out in prodigious numbers. On the other hand, when is the last time you saw the whole field go down at a mountain-bike race?

Hmmmm .... at this point it is all about page count anyway, right. Let's keep this monstrosity alive!
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-09-21, 08:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As to the original point .... if the issue is bar width, shouldn't there be a maximum bar width then? For safety? I like 42 but I have 44s on one bike ... but that really big guy next tom, he must be six-foot six and weight 300 pounds ... and he as 46-cm bars. He Is A Menace. I need him banned ... for safety.
LOL.

My flat bar road bike that I rode on group rides with 20+ people had 600mm wide bars. Nobody died or got hurt.
Old 11-09-21, 08:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
LOL.

My flat bar road bike that I rode on group rides with 20+ people had 600mm wide bars. Nobody died or got hurt.
You're doing it wrong.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.