Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What uses more energy, climb up a hill fast or climb slow??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What uses more energy, climb up a hill fast or climb slow??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 02:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
??? You get hot because you (also) consume ATP at a higher rate.
That is my point. You will do this more when you ride up the hill faster.
Old 07-22-22, 02:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Sure but most of the energy at "reasonable" speeds is for overcoming gravity.

2 miles

0' at 5 mph = 25 kcal
5' at 5 mph = 181 kcal
10' at 5 mph = 338 kcal

0' at 10 mph = 50 kcal
5' at 10 mph = 207 kcal
10' at 10 mph = 364 kcal

0' at 15 mph = 91 kcal
5' at 15 mph = 248 kcal
10' at 15 mph = 404 kcal

Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator
That is what both of us are saying. PE= mgh dominates when you are climbing a significant hill. Your mass doesn't change. The height doesn't change. The gravitational acceleration g doesn't change. (I assume we are talking about speeds at which relativistic corrections don't need to be applied.)
Old 07-22-22, 02:38 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That is my point. You will do this more when you ride up the hill faster.
??? No, you missed the rate stuff. You only talked about "consuming more".

You get hot because you are respiring more, producing and consuming more ATP.
This is true (by about 0.13x; not much different) but consumption rate is a bigger issue. That's closer to 2x (for 5mph -> 10mph).

That is what both of us are saying. PE= mgh dominates when you are climbing a significant hill. Your mass doesn't change. The height doesn't change. The gravitational acceleration g doesn't change. (I assume we are talking about speeds at which relativistic corrections don't need to be applied.)
Still, no. The time spent going up hill changes (smaller by a factor or 2x going between 5mph and 10mph).

You are only consuming more by a factor of 0.13x (about the same total consumption). But the rate is about 2x more (5mph -> 10mph).

Things are more complicated than this because there's also more airflow at higher speeds. It seems that the convective heat transfer at 10mph about 1.5x of that at 5mph.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...60132320307940

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-22-22 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 03:03 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by koala logs
Note we're discussing energy, NOT power. Joules vs Watts

And for the sake of simplicity, we'll ignore aero drag, ignore rolling resistance and all other sources of friction on the bike including losses due to cycling technique. Thanks.

I've been thinking lately if climbing slowly isn't doing me any favor in long rides especially when I'm trying to be home before the sun is straight up and before temperatures climbed to 100F.
Your question is too vague. What's "slow"? What's "fast"? What grade? Why ignore aero drag?

There are calculators that will let you figure it out more accurately.

For a run of 2 miles, you'll consume about 14% more energy talking about "moderate" grades and "reasonable" speeds.

0' at 5 mph = 25 kcal
5' at 5 mph = 181 kcal
10' at 5 mph = 338 kcal

0' at 10 mph = 50 kcal
5' at 10 mph = 207 kcal
10' at 10 mph = 364 kcal

0' at 15 mph = 91 kcal
5' at 15 mph = 248 kcal
10' at 15 mph = 404 kcal

Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator
Old 07-22-22, 03:09 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by koala logs
I'm starting to run out of space to carry food that I'm able to access with ease without stopping. I'll have to figure this one out first. I didn't want to put anything in my pockets to maximize cooling.

I've been thinking of using some cheap bottle holders that installs on the handlebar but instead of holding a bottle, it will hold a big open cup with food in it sliced to bite sized pieces I can just pick up. Or just find the cheapest place along the route for quick refuel!
How many miles are you trying to ride without stopping?

Long distance riders manage it. It's not uncommon to ride for 62 miles without stopping (literally). These riders carry food to eat while they ride but don't carry all of what they will eat. Many of these riders use handlebar bags (that they can reach into while riding).
Old 07-22-22, 03:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Air flow over sweat dissipates heat as well. I don't find I sweat more climbing fast than slow, and ambient temperature is by far the bigger factor in the amount of sweat generated. If it's hot enough, I don't have to be doing much of anything to sweat profusely. In other words, sweat is a really bad indicator of effort.

Effort generates heat and produces sweating which is why people can sweat heavily even when the ambient temperatures are well below freezing.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-22-22, 03:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't have to be doing much of anything to sweat profusely.
Does posting on bike forums make you sweat profusely ?...relax and stop taking social media so seriously.
Old 07-22-22, 05:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Does posting on bike forums make you sweat profusely ?...relax and stop taking social media so seriously.
Lame.
Old 07-22-22, 05:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Effort generates heat and produces sweating which is why people can sweat heavily even when the ambient temperatures are well below freezing.

Sweat evaporates very efficiently with an air flow, so I can put out a huge effort on a cool day and regulate my body temperature with very little sweat at all. On a very hot day, I'll work up a major sweat walking to my car.

Go out riding in shorts below freezing and work up a sweat. I double dog dare you.
Old 07-22-22, 05:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Go out riding in shorts below freezing and work up a sweat. I double dog dare you.
Easy to work up a sweat in cold weather on a long and steep climb, as long as it's not windy. If you don't remove the outer layers, they will be soggy at the summit. BTDT.

Of course, you should always cover your knees in cold weather.

Old 07-22-22, 06:03 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
That is true.

I dragged a 200 pound buck 2 mile out of a ravine in the dark in -5F temps with just my t-shirt on top. It was a 90 minute threshold effort and I was soaked, drenched.
Old 07-22-22, 06:04 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Not true. Your total energy expenditure is spread out over more time. This makes less energy per set distance. Anybody who has ever rode a bike knows it is harder to go faster, no matter what.
Old 07-22-22, 07:42 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
My theory is that since I'm not racing or shooting for some platonic ideal of my best speed, I just do whatever works without making myself miserable, the high number of miles is enough to satisfy me. I typically have a full sit-down meal at the half-way point of any 3 digit mileage ride, which is why I have so literal tolerance for the "your maximum blah, blah, blah is" crowd. It has the added benefit of getting me out of the sun and heat for a while, which definitely helps with tolerating the ride back. For example, I had my lunch at mile 70 of a 140 mile ride last Saturday, and it was not a small meal. Funny thing, I was just fine on the ride back, but I did stop for a piece of cake and some coffee at mile 92, and at a convenience store for water and a pee at mile 108. Miles 130-135 were a complete pain in the butt. Unbeknownst to me, they started milling the stretch of road, so I was committed to that route before I knew how bumpy it would be. Now that occurring at that point in the ride made me feel damn tired..

BTW, it was a hot day, so I took the hills as fast as I could throughout the day as crawling uphill on a hot day definitely makes for a sweaty misery.

I tried mounting water bottles on my handlebars, and I didn't get through a single ride before they started popping off.
Sounds like a good plan. With a cup for holding to eat while riding, I might be able to do a take away for a much quicker food stop and just eat it on the ride. I go out very early in the morning 4am. One of the reasons I try not to stop or make them as few and brief as possible is to be able to get home sooner to avoid bearing the brunt of the heat.

It just didn't occur to me to put extra work on the climbs. Not until this thread and since I have real easy low end gears for climbing, I tend to take advantage of it, spinning away lazy on climbs. But tends to stretch the rides and eventually, my neck and butt starts to hurt a bit.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-22-22, 07:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Easy to work up a sweat in cold weather on a long and steep climb, as long as it's not windy. If you don't remove the outer layers, they will be soggy at the summit. BTDT.

Of course, you should always cover your knees in cold weather.
No one's questioning whether your body makes more heat with higher effort and if that heat needs to be dissipated, you will sweat.. The issue is that there's so many other things that also affect the quantity of sweat that it's a notoriously bad indicator of the level of effort. We haven't even mentioned humidity yet, which of course affects how fast the sweat evaporates. That can make the same amount of sweat seem like it's a lot more--in other words, I don't think we're even good at comparing how much we're sweating at different times.
Old 07-22-22, 08:12 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I don't think we're even good at comparing how much we're sweating at different times.
Agreed. Come to a stop on a hot ride, and formerly dry skin will be dripping wet in a minute or less.

You were probably sweating the same amount, but it evaporates more slowly when you aren't moving.

Likes For terrymorse: