Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Favorite Bike Oil?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Favorite Bike Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 09:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I tried waxing, but the hair came off the chain...

After years of fooling around with a slew of lubes, I have found two lubes that I liked the most so far! One is Rock n Roll Ultimate Dry, and the other is Dumonde Tech Lite which has become my all-time favorite, it lasts a very long time, like around 500 miles between lubes, and the chain lasts and lasts. I started using it on my 2020 Masi touring bike, that bike now has about 5,000 miles on it, I checked the chain wear every 3 months and so far, that chain has not worn at all; it also doesn't wash off in rain.
does the Dumonde Tech Lite stay as clean as the rock and roll? I get about 100 miles from rock and roll before I need to reapply it. but I never have to clean the chain to cassette. just a little on the jockey wheels and chainring.
Old 04-03-22, 07:19 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Melted wax for me. Couldn’t stand dealing with cleaning and degreasing.
Old 04-03-22, 07:35 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
If the hair comes off your chain from waxing, you're doing it wrong. But if the chain grows new hair, it might be time to find another chain, or maybe even another bike. Seriously though, thanks for the tip on the Dumonde lube. I've been waxing, but thinking of trying something different and that sounds like good stuff. My problem is rain and salt water washing everything off my chain every few hundred miles. Thanks
Do NOT use melted or drip on wax lubes for a chain being exposed to salt, that junk will not prevent your chain from rusting. The Dumonde does have a trick to the application of it that I learned from a person on another forum. You apply it according to the directions, and clean chain, ride the bike one time, wipe the chain down really well then apply more Dumonde, ride the bike for a week wiping it down after every ride, ride it for about 2 weeks wiping the chain down after every ride, and apply the Dumonde. After that all you will have to do is wipe the chain down really well after every ride, and you shouldn't have to relube for at least 500 miles even exposed to rain...salt water is another story, I no longer live near an ocean but I had to rinse off my bike and chain after every ride when I was riding close enough to the ocean to catch ocean spray, but I wasn't using Dumonde back then. I would probably use the regular Dumonde Tech for your circumstances, and not the Lite version, the regular version is thicker. I cannot tell you how well it will work in a salty environment, but you can always try it and report back to us if you liked it or not.
Old 04-03-22, 08:20 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
3in1 or 30 weight from my dads oil can. WD40 for awhile. TriFlow for thirty years, WhiteLightning dry and wet for ten, FinishLine Wet for fifteen, Boshield T9 for two years and a few others. They all work but prefer the thick lubes like FinishLine Wet for rainy conditions.and wiping the chain down well after lubing.
Old 04-08-22, 05:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn drew
May I ask what WD40 are peoole talking about? Is it the original WD40 penetrant, or the specific WD40 dry bike lube that comes in small cans ? Then there is is this WD40 that I also want to ask if it will be ok:
There was an entire thread on this a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-10-22, 07:26 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
One thing I disregard is the intervals in which to re-lube.

Some make claims that it's "so many miles" before re-lubing, as if there is a right or wrong to this.

I have been to the TdF and watched the bike mechanics clean the bikes after each and every stage race. Yeah, complete cleaning and re-lubing. But then again, this is a professional race on the single most watched road race.

Saving money: this is not the time to claim that you save money by getting a lube that "saves you money" by somehow working better than brand "x".

Years ago I met the guy who is the distributor of Boeshield. It was at the InterBike trade show in Las Vegas. As far as formula, nothing had changed, it works. Just keep re-lubing and cleaning.
Old 04-10-22, 03:14 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
One thing I disregard is the intervals in which to re-lube.

Some make claims that it's "so many miles" before re-lubing, as if there is a right or wrong to this.

I have been to the TdF and watched the bike mechanics clean the bikes after each and every stage race. Yeah, complete cleaning and re-lubing. But then again, this is a professional race on the single most watched road race.

Saving money: this is not the time to claim that you save money by getting a lube that "saves you money" by somehow working better than brand "x".

Years ago I met the guy who is the distributor of Boeshield. It was at the InterBike trade show in Las Vegas. As far as formula, nothing had changed, it works. Just keep re-lubing and cleaning.
But we're not pro riders, if you want to clean and relube your chain after every ride then go ahead and do it, but eventually it's going to get really old. So, I look for lube that I don't have to relube the bike a lot, and DumondeTech Lite so far works the way I want it to, it lasts for at least 500 miles which is important why you're out touring
Old 04-10-22, 03:40 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
+1 for I'm a wax guy. I've been using Squirt Lube for a few years now with good success. It's basically a wax-based lubricant that runs pretty clean and is one of the best for a friction test by an independent lab. I am testing Silca's "Nixfriction" oil lube though, and so far it's pretty clean if you don't flood your chain with oil...which you aren't supposed to do anyway.
Old 04-12-22, 06:41 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
But we're not pro riders, if you want to clean and relube your chain after every ride then go ahead and do it, but eventually it's going to get really old. So, I look for lube that I don't have to re-lube the bike a lot, and Dumonde Tech Lite so far works the way I want it to, it lasts for at least 500 miles which is important why you're out touring
Hey George, Just curious: what do you do after 500 miles or so? Re-lube or clean and re-lube?
Old 04-12-22, 04:50 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Hey George, Just curious: what do you do after 500 miles or so? Re-lube or clean and re-lube?
I clean and relube.

The only thing about Dumonde that I'm not personally sure of is chain life, I was on Adventure Cycling forum and a lot of touring people use Dumonde, in fact that is why I tried it was because of their recommendation, they claim they get a lot of miles out of chain. But those guys were telling me that the stuff would last over 500 miles, all they do is wipe it down after every ride after they set up camp. Touring shortens the life of chains, but they were claiming they could get 10,000 miles out of chain using that stuff vs 3,000 miles on another lube. People that tour used to carry a spare chain, but the ones that used Dumonde do not. PLEASE NOTE: that information came from their experience and not mine, other than I know the lube lasts a lot longer than other lubes I've tried, I'm just not sure yet about the chain life, I have about 1,200 on my new touring bike and the chain, and so far no indication of wear which I wouldn't expect after just 1,200 miles from any lube.
Old 04-27-22, 07:37 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Ganius
Totally agree. I also don't specifically buy bike oil and use Castrol 10w-50 motor oil that I put in my vehicle. The effect is the same. But you can use any other brand. But for me, the best 10W-50 engine oil is Castrol for both bike and vehicle.
Engine oil on a bike chain can work, but it also attracts dirt and grit like a magnet, whereas dry lubes don't do that, of course if you're using in rain and mud well then you have to clean and reapply the lube anyways after a ride, so instead of using a bike specific wet lube then yes, engine oil would work.

Today's cars are a lot different than they used to be years ago, manufacture engineer engines to their specifications and in that process the engineers determine which oil will work best in their cars, this is especially true with higher performance vehicles when they leave the factory. For example, Corvette uses Mobil 1 as does Porsche, BMW uses Castrol Edge, Ferrari uses Pennzoil, and the list goes on, but it is recommended to get the durability, performance and MPG that the factory designed the engine to do is to use the brand of oil they packed it with from the factory. Years ago, you could switch to whatever brand you felt loyal to for your car, that is no longer the case.