Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Safe route from Santa Barbara to Santa Ynez CA?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 03:06 PM
Yosemite

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all!

I'm flying into Santa Barbara soon for a ride up the California coast, but I want to visit family in the Santa Ynez Valley on my way. I live in DC, but I grew up in Santa Ynez and remember the drive from Santa Barbara well. That was before my cycling days and the roads I remember were not roads I would want to bike, i.e. - 154 and the San Marcos Pass.

A web search turned up these;
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Santa-Barbara

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...bara/118596393

Both are similar, though not identical, in that they avoid a bit of the pass in different spots. What I'm looking for is a local cyclist to either put my mind at ease or advise me on some other route.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 11-20-09, 05:00 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Road with a little gravel capabilities?

If you are starting from the SB Airport go West on Hollister Ave. to 101 junction/overpass [under 3 miles]. [It is legal to ride on freeway starting at Winchester Canyon/Hollister Ave. junction; Good shoulders for riding.] After 20+? miles on 101 Exit at Refugio Rd. turn right and climb sometimes steeply to Refugio Pass passing by the Reagan Ranch near the top. Gravel starts at the top heading into Santa Ynez for about 3/4 of a mile. Refugio Rd meets Hwy 246 at the Santa Ynez High School. You know the way from there I expect. Have a good ride.

At the top for county liability reasons there is often a sign saying road closed. I talked to the road dept guy there and he said bikes are not a problem.
Old 11-21-09, 01:37 PM
Yosemite

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course! That sounds perfect, thanks so much for the help. Riding through Los Padres National Forest is probably pretty nice too. I don't mind the gravel roads at all. Now I'm really looking forward to my trip!
Old 11-24-09, 06:53 PM
ggriffinslo
SLOGeorge

Bikes: Bridgstone X0-1, & RBT; Miyata 1000, 618 & 615

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The directions above are spot on/ Good description! have a fun ride.