Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sebring Tandem Rally 2010

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 02:36 PM
transam

Bikes: Cannondale RT1000; Santana Ti 700; Co-Motion Speedster, Co-Motion Cappuccino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I spoke with the owners of the Kenilworth Lodge today and the Sebring Tandem Rally IS back on the schedule. The dates are April 3rd & 4th with an optional day on the 5th. My wife and I have been attending these rallies since we have started riding a tandem. We've always had a great time. There is some great riding in the Sebring area! Let's hope the word gets out this year and there is a good turnout. It was canceled last year because of a lack of participants and if it's canceled again this year it will probably be permanently removed from the schedule.
Old 12-14-09, 10:41 AM
MB1
DisMember

Bikes: Waterford RS22 Gearie, Waterford RS22 Fixte, Rivendell Rambouillet, Trek Madone5.5, Santana Beyond, GT Zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You appear to live in Sebring, do you stay in the hotel during the rally?
Old 12-14-09, 11:04 AM
transam

Bikes: Cannondale RT1000; Santana Ti 700; Co-Motion Speedster, Co-Motion Cappuccino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, we live in Sebring. We do not stay at the Kenilworth during the rally, however we do spend a lot of time there socializing with the other couples.
Old 12-14-09, 11:55 AM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a link for details? I did not find anything on it with Google. That's Easter weekend, which might limit participation.
Old 12-14-09, 03:09 PM
transam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any details other than what I posted above. Here's a link that tells a little about the rally and some contact info for the Kenilworth. I know the decision to have the rally was a recent one so not sure how far along on the planning they are. You're right about that being Easter weekend. If I hear of any changes because of the holiday I'll post it here.

https://www.kenilworthlodge.com/packages/?id=436
Old 12-14-09, 06:05 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Did the Sebring Tandem Rally at the lodge many years ago (mid-90s). Well organized/fun event!
Old 12-15-09, 06:26 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This rally needs to be taken out of the hands of the Kenilworth. It's the only rally that I'm aware of that is hosted by the event hotel for a profit, rather than by a local club or group for the benefit of the community.

As such, it got "cancelled" last year cause the hotel didn't think it was "big enough" for them to make enough money on it. And you know what? Teams pitched in apparently, and the rally went on anyway.

Who gives a rat if it's a small rally during these tough economic times? If it continues anyway, it will come back to full strength when times are better. But if it's allowed to be "cancelled" due to being "too small to make money", it may well die out all together and that would be a shame.

The Kenilworth could still be the "event hotel" if it's convenient, but the rally needs to be taken over by the locals.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 12-16-09, 09:53 PM
bikeguy
Florida rider

Bikes: Ticycle (custom Ti duraace front to back) --- Specialized Roubaix Pro ---- Specialized S Works Epic----Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot (delivery 11/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to this last year (the cancelled) year) and had a great time.... we about 14 teams ... had 2 good days of riding. Some stayed at the K-lodge and about 5 teams stayed just up the road at a Marriott -----Nice roads to ride there. Had a blast
Old 12-16-09, 10:37 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikeguy
I went to this last year (the cancelled) year) and had a great time.... we about 14 teams ... had 2 good days of riding. Some stayed at the K-lodge and about 5 teams stayed just up the road at a Marriott -----Nice roads to ride there. Had a blast
It was our first time riding with other tandems, we had a great time. Met a bunch of nice people that we enjoy seeing and riding with whenever we can.

I had the wife note the date on the calender. Still though, very curious to see what the Florida group puts together beyond the known events during 2010.

PK
Old 12-17-09, 10:22 PM
regomatic
Cyclist- Bike 'n a half

Bikes: Custom S & S Bushnell Tandem, Eddy Merckx Ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We'll put this on our calender also. There's plenty of great riding in this area and good value at most local lodging & restaurants. I think they canceled early last year due to low numbers of pre-egistrations because they had so few reservations at their hotel. If we can register to ride & pick our own lodging, we'll make an effort to register sooner.
Old 12-18-09, 03:32 PM
bikeguy
Florida rider

Bikes: Ticycle (custom Ti duraace front to back) --- Specialized Roubaix Pro ---- Specialized S Works Epic----Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot (delivery 11/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to do this one again..... But are they crazy....EASTER Weekend.... this will NOT help attendance

We are out
Old 12-21-09, 05:10 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
This rally needs to be taken out of the hands of the Kenilworth. It's the only rally that I'm aware of that is hosted by the event hotel for a profit, rather than by a local club or group for the benefit of the community.
Oh, yeah. That is crazy. The local C of C or a local bike group should pick up organizing this. We're in So fla and would consider it but no way on Easter Weekend!
Old 12-22-09, 03:52 PM
transam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
It's the only rally that I'm aware of that is hosted by the event hotel for a profit, rather than by a local club or group for the benefit of the community.

This is not entirely true. Yes, the Kenilworth makes money on the event (mainly from the rooms that are rented), but most of the event fees go to pay for the rally expenses. Our local bike club receives a generous payment to help with the organization and route markings.

BTW, the date has been changed from Easter weekend to February 20 & 21.
Old 12-22-09, 06:22 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll have her change the note on the calender.

Winter in Florida can get busy...Might have to make some choices.

New Years Eve at Santos, camping and riding.

We already signed up and plan to ride the tandem for this one.
https://www.sanfelasco.net/tour.shtml

Hoping for permission from the boss so we can tandem this one.
https://www.swampclub.org/croom35_50.htm

Want to make this one, but will be last minute.
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572405

And if we try for STR 2010, I'll need to sell blood for extra cash.

Decisions decisions

PK