Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you solder your cable ends?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you solder your cable ends?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 05:48 PM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I inherited my soldering gun from my grandfather and I don't think it heats up like it did 50 years ago.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 12-19-09 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I just realized how long it's been since he died.
Old 12-19-09, 06:00 PM
theschwinnman
Roadie in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
I'll try it again with stainless cable. I just bought a new mini torch I want to try out.
That could be the ticket. I used a BernzOmatic micro torch/soldering iron in torch mode.
Old 12-19-09, 07:18 PM
XLR99

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need to try the slight unwinding trick with the flux. Good tip!!
Old 12-19-09, 11:18 PM
strop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can solder stainless steel cables but it's a lot harder, you need a flux specifically designed for stainless steel. I agree with the earlier post, just buy a big bag of caps and be done with it.
Old 12-19-09, 11:30 PM
RaleighComp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the old-school soldering, will do it in the future for my 70's and earlier bikes. For my modern bikes I use Gore Ride-on cable. They're expensive, but I've been using them since '96 and my experience has been:

Crimp on that cable-end and you won't be touching that cable for any maintenance for the next decade plus.
Old 12-20-09, 06:08 AM
bashermax 
bashermax

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, '81 TREK 613 (stolen) replaced by '82 Treck 613, Schwinn Supersport custom build (Stolen), Raleigh Scott Tinley - wife's(Stolen), Lightspeed Titanium custom build, late 70's Motobecane tandem, 80's Miyata 914, '86 TREK 400 Elance

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guy who mentioned Maintenace is the one who holds the key to the argument for soldering. Getting caps off without buggering the Cable end (And it only takes ONE stray wire and the things a PIA) is a challenge. I'm frugal to the point of stupid and think that chunking a cable and housing that work fine is wasteful. Soldering the tips allows a good lube job and housing flush and reinsertion that's smooth and nearly permanent. A well maintained cable like a chain ought to last forever (Or as long as I'll be around)
Cable stretch is a joke... don't they make adjusters??? They're brake cables. NOT guitar strings.
Old 12-20-09, 06:55 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
I can agree on the probs with SS cables, I found my success to be hit and miss until I obtained some liquid flux and solder designed specifically for stainless steel. It's a strong acid-base flux powerful enough to etch through the stainless steel and form a good surface for the solder to adhere to. I got mine from an online soldering/electronics store that I can look up if anyone wants to know. It was under $20 for both and will last me the rest of my life just doing cable ends. Also they can mail it to you (I don't know how they get that lethal stuff through the Postal system, but they did).

Robbie; thanks for the props again. Too bad she's in a big bike box in a storage warehouse with the rest of my life right now. BTW, I found out my next assignment is in Luxembourg for 3 years. Cycle touring here I come!
Old 12-20-09, 07:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
never thought I'd say this: "wow, nice cable ends"

guess there's a 1st time for everything
Old 12-20-09, 08:11 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
I decided to define the phrases "tight wad" & "cheap". I re-use tips whenever possible.
I've tried soldering and heat shrink wrap. Soldering takes a long time vs popping on an aluminum tip. Heat shrink also takes some time and costs as much as the tips.
Old 12-20-09, 01:55 PM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tiniest little burst of an arc from a Tig welder works well for me.(on stainless cables)
But I found out that just a fraction of a second too long results in a
fused cable end with a ball-shaped profile that will not fit back through
cable housings or barrel adjusters.

Last edited by mikewille; 12-26-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 02:02 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
I solder a lot of cable ends... it is really not that time consuming when you have everything at hand for doing it.
Old 12-20-09, 02:15 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by roccobike
I decided to define the phrases "tight wad" & "cheap". I re-use tips whenever possible.
I've tried soldering and heat shrink wrap. Soldering takes a long time vs popping on an aluminum tip. Heat shrink also takes some time and costs as much as the tips.
The aluminum crimps can easily be removed and reused if you use hot glue. To remove one, just apply heat from a soldering iron, torch or lighter. Heat it up again to reapply it.
Old 12-20-09, 03:18 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,047 Times in 2,694 Posts
It's rarely a frayed tip that prevents me from reusing a cable, but instead the crimp/bend left from the anchor bolt. Fwiw, I use aluminum caps, and when I want to remove one, I just give loosen the anchor bolt, grab the housing above the brake or mech, and give the cable a good yank. The caps usually slip right off (but I still have that anchor-bolt bend).

Neal
Old 12-20-09, 10:08 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the cool ideas!
Old 12-25-09, 11:19 PM
pozzello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a pinch I just use a pair of vice-grips.
Old 12-25-09, 11:40 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And ride with it?! O_o
And +1 to what Neal said. The end really isn't what kills the cable. (Though a good solder really is a nice touch)
-Gene-

Originally Posted by pozzello
In a pinch I just use a pair of vice-grips.
Old 12-26-09, 12:29 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,528 Times in 2,138 Posts
How many of the fellows here who haven't stated what type of cable they're soldering are working with galvanized? How many with stainless?

IMO, "experience" in soldering cable ends does not constitute dabbing some 50/50 solder on the end of a galvanized Wally World cable. I wouldn't use anything short of quality stainless cables on anything I'd intend to ride, especially centerpulls. Why have spongy, rust-prone, galvanized cables unless you're working on a flipper?

-Kurt

Old 12-26-09, 01:01 AM
suntex01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer soldering too. But haven't been able to do it myself yet as I haven't gotten the proper solder / flux and soldering iron combination.
My LBS did it for me, and I think they used acid core lead solder from radio shack or ace...
Old 12-26-09, 06:31 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
You might also want to look at the recent thread in Bicycle Mechanics though this forum seems a bit more relaxed about things .
Old 12-26-09, 07:04 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
How many of the fellows here who haven't stated what type of cable they're soldering are working with galvanized? How many with stainless?

IMO, "experience" in soldering cable ends does not constitute dabbing some 50/50 solder on the end of a galvanized Wally World cable. I wouldn't use anything short of quality stainless cables on anything I'd intend to ride, especially centerpulls. Why have spongy, rust-prone, galvanized cables unless you're working on a flipper?

-Kurt
I do both. It depends on the bike. OEM cables for some older bikes are the galvanized, if they are decent shape that is quite often what will stay on there. On my other bikes that get ridden more SS is what I use.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-26-09, 08:43 AM
Grand Bois

Why would galvanized cables be spongy?
Old 12-26-09, 11:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,528 Times in 2,138 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Why would galvanized cables be spongy?
Cheap cables = fewer winds = cable stretch. Granted, some galvanized cables were made back in the '70s that performed well, but they aren't the cables you'll see today.

You should have seen a PX-10 I saw recently that had cheap, galvanized cables on it. The Mafacs had been set up properly, yet, the response from the levers were as spongy as the Pillsbury Doughboy. I peered down the headtube to see both brake cable and the cable yoke on the Mafac lever stretching as if it were silly putty.

That's the most recent account I can think of, to-date. The difference is much more noticeable on centerpulls then sidepulls, whether Mafac, Weinmann, Dia-Compe, or any other.

-Kurt

Old 12-26-09, 05:40 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that I am the only one to braze. It is a pain but works great.