Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2009 Pan Mass Challenge

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2009 Pan Mass Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 01:07 PM
zerotopanmass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Pan Mass Challenge

Hi all,

Great forums here! I'm going to be riding in next years Pan Mass Challenge (2009) and was wondering if anyone here is planning to ride also? I'm a total newbie - up until a couple of months ago I had never touched a road bike before. Feel free to read all the cringe-inducing details of my introduction to the sport here:

https://zerotopanmass.wordpress.com/

I'm trying to keep all the details in a blog so others might one day benefit from my mistakes. :-)

I'm based in Billerica, MA if anyone is looking for a riding partner, especially as the winter approaches...shudder...

For those that have ridden before, any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

Ride on! :-)
Old 09-18-08, 01:13 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the fund-raising requirement going to be this time?
Old 09-18-08, 01:27 PM
zerotopanmass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, currently at $4k for the full ride - a challenge in itself... :-)
Old 10-09-09, 02:13 PM
zerotopanmass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just updating this old thread in case anyone here is considering doing the 2010 PMC. I made it, raised my $4200 goal, rode the 200 miles. My road from the couch to the PMC finish line was chronicled at my blog here.

Thanks to all the BF members who took the time to answer my questions on training and equipment along the way, it was an invaluable resource.
Old 10-11-09, 12:59 PM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zerotopanmass
Just updating this old thread in case anyone here is considering doing the 2010 PMC. I made it, raised my $4200 goal, rode the 200 miles. My road from the couch to the PMC finish line was chronicled at my blog here.

Thanks to all the BF members who took the time to answer my questions on training and equipment along the way, it was an invaluable resource.
Congrats on your accomplishment!!

If all goes according to plan, I'm hoping to participate in the PMC for the first time next year. If you don't mind, I may PM you with some questions about your experience preparing for and riding in the event.
Old 10-12-09, 06:53 AM
Salmosebago

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Scott R1, Scott Spark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve - If you think you're going to ride I would (1) decide how much $ you think you can raise, (2) decide how much $ you are willing to kick in yourself, (3) base your ride decision on those answers. You can greatly reduce your fundraising requirement by the route you ride, The 2 day Sturbridge/P-Town ride is great but the fundraising can be a part time job. Start now to think about things you can do to raise funds. I have friends that donate services and products (fishing guides, jewelers) that I auction off and raise $. Friends that work for companies that match funds are a goldmine. Fair warning - once you do it you'll be hooked - it's a blast!
Old 01-12-10, 01:55 PM
zerotopanmass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just signed up for this years PMC, I raised $4200 last year for Dana Farber Cancer Institute and hope to beat that this year. Any other BFs riding in the 2010 PMC?

If anyone's interested I'm keeping track of my journey to the 2010 PMC at my blog.