Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need a free bicycle SWFL

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 11:17 PM
turtlemilk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone got any Junkers you don't want that can still be ridden that you can donate to me?

I have not had a job in 12 months, The clutch is going out in my truck, and my car well the motor is blown and it has no trunk( rusted)... Fiero..

Town is about 10+ miles away, I can ride the Beach bicycle about 2 miles before falling off it.. When i first rode that thing i thought i was going to die..

I am 5 foot 7, I dunno what size bicycles i ride..
Old 01-19-10, 11:28 PM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may actually get some help if you let us know about where you are located. A local member might have a bike that would fit you. With shipping prices kinda high, it is unlikely you'll get one with someone else having to pay to ship it to you.
Old 01-19-10, 11:29 PM
Bam42685

Bikes: 81 or 82 Mayata 912, Mystery Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southwest Fort Lauderdale? That's my Michigander guess.
Old 01-19-10, 11:38 PM
turtlemilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
port Charlotte
Old 01-19-10, 11:40 PM
Bam42685

Bikes: 81 or 82 Mayata 912, Mystery Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, Southwest Florida - I was pretty close.
Old 01-20-10, 12:16 AM
turtlemilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bam42685
Ah, Southwest Florida - I was pretty close.
By 150 miles..
Old 01-20-10, 12:47 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sell your Fiero?
Old 01-20-10, 12:56 AM
bigvegan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turtlemilk - you might want to put an ad on craigslist seeking old ten speeds and offering to pick them up. People who want to free up space in their house but don't want to throw things away might be happy to have you pick them up.

(You might also want to check out https://indeed.com or https://simplyhired.com , they're pretty cool job site aggregators that pull all the job listings into one place.)

Good luck!
Old 01-20-10, 07:14 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Ride the beach cruiser. You have a bike already and want someone to give you a free one?
Old 01-20-10, 07:56 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
"Ride the beach cruiser. You have a bike already and want someone to give you a free one?"

+1

I gave at the office. Do what people here do...trash pick and fix one up. You're not really asking for a free bike, you're asking for free labor.
Old 01-20-10, 07:58 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 949 Posts
Me too!
Old 01-20-10, 09:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2955 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,532 Posts
are you in need of work? I have a friend near you who is always looking for some one to be all he can be, or looking for more of an adventure then just a job

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-20-10, 09:09 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yeah, okay, I'll bite, I have a free bike if someone needs one. Needs air in tires, gears need lubed and adjusted. In New Jersey.
Old 01-20-10, 09:33 AM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
are you in need of work? I have a friend near you who is always looking for some one to be all he can be, or looking for more of an adventure then just a job

Army recruiter?
Old 01-20-10, 09:34 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
LOL. ALso looking for armies of one and folks that want to see the world.......as well of those wanting to be one of the few, the proud......full time as well as part time (one weekend a month and two weeks a year) positions available.
Old 01-20-10, 10:32 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 183 Posts
I think he already tried the Craigslist route.....

LOOKING FOR FREE Vintage ROAD BIKE. (CHARLOTTE)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-01-10, 11:37PM EST
It looks like he already tried the Craigslist route.

Reply to: [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looking for any free Vintage road bikes... I am 5 foot 7, i want to try riding a road bikes.. it can be from the 70s 80s 90s.. ill take a beaten up bike.. or one your putting in the trash.. I might can use the wheels, cables or what ever on my daily bike.. I have no money what so ever... or i would fix my truck which has been broke down for a year...

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bik/1546870852.html

I think you would have better luck if you offer some service in trade, like washing cars or cleaning out their garage.
Old 01-20-10, 11:07 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Barter, swap, trade, work part time, work for parts. My current temp job is having rumors so quite a few are competing for empty boxes by the copy machine. 8-)

Here's a decent looking smaller Kabuki local down your way:
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bik/1523210933.html

Throw your beach cruiser up on craigslist offer it as trade. Sell the truck or car or both, sell parts off of them. I know it isn't easy but like an outplacement counselor said at a workforcement development intake group meeting last summer - " food, clothing, shelter, transportation, in that order, everything else comes later in line". Meaning that to get a job you need a way to get to that job, a bike is one way, busses are another, but this isn't the employment forum so I'll stop.
Maybe offer to paint houses or fences on the side, work a fishing charter boat or just help clean them when they dock and unload, work at a bike shop doing anything with an understanding of wanting a used bike and parts to fix it up.

I wish you well, I know first hand that it isn't an easy situation to be in. But it could be worse, you could be up here in Wisconsin where the winter is just a bit colder.
Old 01-20-10, 11:32 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by GV27
LOL. ALso looking for armies of one and folks that want to see the world.......as well of those wanting to be one of the few, the proud......full time as well as part time (one weekend a month and two weeks a year) positions available.

I don't he would fit in with the few the proud crowd. it takes a special breed to be one of us

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-20-10, 11:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by KOBE
I think he already tried the Craigslist route.....
LOOKING FOR FREE Vintage ROAD BIKE. (CHARLOTTE)
Date: 2010-01-10, 11:37PM EST
It looks like he already tried the Craigslist route.
looking for any free Vintage road bikes... I am 5 foot 7, i want to try riding a road bikes.. it can be from the 70s 80s 90s.. ill take a beaten up bike.. or one your putting in the trash.. I might can use the wheels, cables or what ever on my daily bike.. I have no money what so ever... or i would fix my truck which has been broke down for a year...
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bik/1546870852.html

I think you would have better luck if you offer some service in trade, like washing cars or cleaning out their garage.
it will be just our luck he ends up with a late '80s Colnago Master with full Cobalto group!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-20-10, 11:34 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlemilk

I look like a crazy satanic hellbilly inbred sister ##### biker...
Just a thought, but this might have some impact on your perceived employability. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-20-10, 12:16 PM
bigvegan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on turtlemilk, nobody gives away "vintage" bikes. Say you're looking for old ten speeds.
Old 01-20-10, 01:12 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtlemilk

I have not had a job in 12 months, ...

Get a job and quit your complaining.

Get a job and all the other problems will be solved.

After reading your post, I wouldn't give you a damned thing. Work for what you want. Ride the bike you have, otherwise walk.
Old 01-20-10, 01:21 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Before we all pile on here, we ought to consider that the essential difference between many of us and our “down-on-his-luck” acquaintance is a paycheck.

Here in Detroit, we have watched many of our neighbors lose their homes, not because they're lazy, but because THERE IS NO WORK: There are now whole families living in shelters (or cars), and the schools have had to make provision for “children with no permanent address.”

I don’t presume to know what it’s like in Florida, but there are hard times for many. We should just be grateful for what we have, and the fact that we have even a little extra to indulge our hobby.
Old 01-20-10, 01:47 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on offering to pick up "old 10-speeds" vs. 'vintage road bikes' you'll get more people who don't value the bike that's been collecting dust in the garage/barn/basement for the past couple of decades. ALSO try your local freecycle https://www.freecycle.org put a wanted post up similar to the craigslist post. Be nice, be polite, include that you're willing to fix up or use parts off of old bikes. I got a bunch of bikes from freecycle, people were glad to be giving the bike to someone who would fix it to ride rather than just scrap it.
Old 01-20-10, 02:05 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Before we all pile on here, we ought to consider that the essential difference between many of us and our “down-on-his-luck” acquaintance is a paycheck.

Here in Detroit, we have watched many of our neighbors lose their homes, not because they're lazy, but because THERE IS NO WORK: There are now whole families living in shelters (or cars), and the schools have had to make provision for “children with no permanent address.”

I don’t presume to know what it’s like in Florida, but there are hard times for many. We should just be grateful for what we have, and the fact that we have even a little extra to indulge our hobby.
I lost my job this year. As with any other time when work was tight (usually summer work during high school or what-have-you), I took the approach that I wasn't too good to work ANY job. If it paid money, it was good enough for me. He can flip burgers at McDonalds or be a greeter at Wal-Mart. Not that difficult to get a job, you just aren't looking low enough.

On top of that, unless he is at a relative's household or at the library with internet access, there is no reason to have internet while you are jobless and can't even repair your transportation. Cut down to the necessities. Even if you ARE at the library or a friend's house, why are you there instead of out looking for someone who will pay you money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.