Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the carfree posters?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What happened to all the carfree posters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 08:17 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Last 4 threads posted to on LCF prior to this post:

Why do you hate the car?

How (& when) will the age of oil end? Barely a blip? World-wide war & civil unrest?

Compare and contrast the bicycle and the car; cite advantages/disadvantages of each.

Just Curious-Does Temporary Switch Back To Dviving A Rental Car Makes You A Traitor?

enuff said.

You can change all that. Try the "Post New Thread" button at the top of the page.
Old 01-23-10, 09:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
You can change all that. Try the "Post New Thread" button at the top of the page.

Why are the biggest gripers so often unwilling to take postiive steps? Personally, I would like to see a bigger diversity of threads, so I try to start new ones from time to time. Some of them go over like square tires, but you never know when an unlikely sounding thread will become very popular.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-23-10, 10:23 PM
Bizurke
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I honestly just forgot about BF for a while. I've been pretty busy with life and very long commutes since I moved to Los Angeles. My activity on this forum has definitely dropped over the last year or so and it's mainly because I just forget to swing by and check it out. I still think this is a great forum and I need to get my ass in gear when it comes to checking the forum.
Old 01-24-10, 09:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,600 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody

Why are the biggest gripers so often unwilling to take postiive steps? Personally, I would like to see a bigger diversity of threads, so I try to start new ones from time to time. Some of them go over like square tires, but you never know when an unlikely sounding thread will become very popular.
The positive step I would take, if given the power, would be to send all the sociological, political, economic, car culture bashing rants to Foo and /or P&R; send the few threads that deal with using a bicycle to live a car free/lite life to either commuting, winter cycling, or utility bicycling as appropriate, and shut this list down as an embarrassment to cycling and cyclists in general.

The only purpose being served by this forum is to free the other bicycling related forums from most of the political or ascetic/religious rants of True Belief, and act as flypaper for rants/opinions that have NOTHING to do with using a bicycle or how the posters manage to live car free.
Old 01-24-10, 09:46 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

The positive step I would take, if given the power, would be to send all the sociological, political, economic, car culture bashing rants to Foo and /or P&R; send the few threads that deal with using a bicycle to live a car free/lite life to either commuting, winter cycling, or utility bicycling as appropriate, and shut this list down as an embarrassment to cycling and cyclists in general.

The only purpose being served by this forum is to free the other bicycling related forums from most of the political or ascetic/religious rants of True Belief, and act as flypaper for rants/opinions that have NOTHING to do with using a bicycle or how the posters manage to live car free.
And yet you are one of the most prolific contributors to the LCF forum! And your posts are probably among the ones that have the least to do with bicycles and bicycling. Like a preacher in a cat house...."I am only preaching the Word to these poor young ladies."

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-24-10, 10:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Roody
And yet you are one of the most prolific contributors to the LCF forum! And your posts are probably among the ones that have the least to do with bicycles and bicycling. Like a preacher in a cat house...."I am only preaching the Word to these poor young ladies."
Does that mean you agree or disagree with my suggestion?
Old 01-24-10, 12:33 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I wasn't aware that you made a suggestion.

I do agree that you should **** or get off the pot. If you want threads that are more relevant (by your own narrow definition), you should start some and see how far they go. Discussions that are strictly limited to bicycles soon grow tiresome, as you know very well.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-25-10, 03:13 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You seem to be quite negative about living car free. How about some some positive suggestions and encouragement for a change instead of so much negativity, foot-dragging and naysaying? I have managed to cull many an idea from the helpful contributors to this marvellous forum over the past several years that have kept me on my bike and away from relying on motor cars, and I daresay I am not the only one.
Old 01-25-10, 02:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Ekdog
You seem to be quite negative about living car free. How about some some positive suggestions and encouragement for a change instead of so much negativity, foot-dragging and naysaying? I have managed to cull many an idea from the helpful contributors to this marvellous forum over the past several years that have kept me on my bike and away from relying on motor cars, and I daresay I am not the only one.
Really, what idea (other than "Just Do It!) did you cull from this list that kept you on your bike or away from relying on motor cars? I can't recall any that weren't just stating the obvious.
Old 01-25-10, 04:27 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ladies,

If you want to bicker and insult one and other about frivolous stuff there is a place for that- It's called the BF Single Speed and Fixed Gear Forum.
Old 01-25-10, 06:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

At least you're not trying to send anybody to Trollheim.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-25-10, 06:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Really, what idea (other than "Just Do It!) did you cull from this list that kept you on your bike or away from relying on motor cars? I can't recall any that weren't just stating the obvious.
To start with, what seems obvious to you and other experienced cyclists is probaly new to some of the users here.

After several years of daily riding and reading BF, I no longer expect to learn much about cycling from a post on any BF subforum. I'm not saying that I know it all--just that I know about as much as I want to know or need to know. But I am still learning a lot on this forum about topics that are less directly connected to cycling and carfree living. And the moral support and encouragement that I get from most of the posters here is awesome. I also enjoy helping others from time to time when they have specific questions about cycling and being carfree.

if I got no value from the forum, I would simply move on to something else, as opposed to trying to mess it up for other people. I see no point in peeing in the pot just because I don't care for what's cooking.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-25-10, 06:58 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The above is a good example of what has happened to LCF and why readership/posting is down.

Page after page of trolling posts followed by responses that serve little other than troll-baiting.

I admit I do like a little sparring now and then (as long as I'm not involved...). However, I imagine lurkers are either uninterested in these debates or too timid to pipe up.

Isn't there an Ignore List somewhere on this site? There used to be...
Old 01-29-10, 07:30 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I just noticed there were 4 threads with new posts in LCF in the last 24 hours. Two of the threads were obviously about cars and had nothing to do with living carfree.

When I looked at the stats on the main forum page, there were more viewers in Hybrid bicycles and Utility Cycling.

What happened to the good old days when people came here to post about peak oil or urban design or simple LCF living?
When I came to this forum, I was told that I wasn't really car free because I could not afford a car. People who can not afford to own a car are not welcome here.

Hybrid and utility forums welcome me and thats where I post and read posts. Thanks for asking.
Old 01-30-10, 11:27 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
When I came to this forum, I was told that I wasn't really car free because I could not afford a car. People who can not afford to own a car are not welcome here.

Hybrid and utility forums welcome me and thats where I post and read posts. Thanks for asking.
I think a lot of people get the idea that LCF is some secret society or something... In fact, I recall having the same thought myself when I first joined BF ....since I am part of a one-car family. However, despite the occasional snobbery (which you should feel free to react against...), there are some interesting topics here and your perspective on the issues is as welcome as anyone else's.