Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best all round commuter tyre - speed and durability

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 06:47 AM
ningnangnong

Bikes: Not a folder.... yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having just discovered that my Kenda tyre has an S-bend in it - not joking! - it's time to ditch them both and get something different. It's not my main set of wheels but something I use to ride to work/to the station in a suit/carry shopping etc.

The bike in question is a Dawes Discovery 201: https://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec018590

So I'm not after the most expensive set as that'd be a waste, but I do want to get some fast, grippy in the wet, fast-rolling and durable replacements.

Thinking Schwalbe Marathons - any other recommendations?

Cheers
Old 01-25-10, 08:39 AM
Wheelzy

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400 fixie, Haro Mary SS 29er, BMC SLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Conti Top Contact 32s. They're wide enough to absorb the road a bit, but narrow enough to roll well. They also have reflective sidewalls, which are a bit of a gimmick, but you might be into that. It's not the fastest rolling tread pattern but it's a good balance of grooved for slop and smooth for asphalt.
Old 01-25-10, 09:29 AM
echotraveler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i vote for shwalbe Marathon plus....i feel very confident on the road, they are said to be the toughest protection against flats, and i think they run pretty fast...mine run at 95psi, ive had them for 2.5 months now...so i cant talk about durability....

Last edited by echotraveler; 01-25-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 09:29 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could have told you Kenda's suck big time. At one time I got the bright idea of switching from Primo's to Kenda's on my recumbent. That was a bad idea. The Kenda's failed within 3 months.
Old 01-25-10, 09:58 AM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Schwalbe Marathon Plus.....I run 700 x 28's
Old 01-25-10, 10:04 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had good luck with the Kendas I have had on my bike. They were on a used wheelset I bought from a local bike co-op, and already quite well used. I got another couple thousand miles out of them before the rear started showing some threads in the sidewall (think it was from age and exposure more than anything). Just ordered some cheap Nashbar 35 mm city tires for my bike. Probably wouldn't have replaced the Kendas yet, but the Kendas are 40s and I wanted 35s or smaller for my new 45 mm fenders which I should have soon.
Old 01-25-10, 10:50 AM
prxmid
dolce far niente

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got Schwalbe Marathon Plus for my commuter build. They are supposedly bombproof, and from what I read are the ultimate commuter tire.

Don't want to steal the thread but I'm planning a 5 day credit card tour with this bike and wondering anyones experience using these four touring, 60 miles per day. Some say they have high rolling resistance due to their weight.
Old 01-25-10, 11:07 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BILLB58
+1 for Schwalbe Marathon Plus.....I run 700 x 28's
+1 again for the SMP. I have a couple of bikes with them on them, one with 700x28s and one with 700x25s, both are excellent tires for commuting.
Old 01-25-10, 11:19 AM
dbgray21
my quads hurt...

Bikes: 2010 langster, 2009 fuse 2, 2009 transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
armadillos. i run 25's.
Old 01-25-10, 11:22 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelzy
I like the Conti Top Contact 32s. They're wide enough to absorb the road a bit, but narrow enough to roll well. They also have reflective sidewalls, which are a bit of a gimmick, but you might be into that. It's not the fastest rolling tread pattern but it's a good balance of grooved for slop and smooth for asphalt.
I love my Top Contacts...but for the OP's price criteria the plain old Contact would fit the bill.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-25-10, 11:23 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What do you mean by S-bend?
Old 01-25-10, 12:08 PM
jeffpoulin

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prxmid
I just got Schwalbe Marathon Plus for my commuter build. They are supposedly bombproof, and from what I read are the ultimate commuter tire.

Don't want to steal the thread but I'm planning a 5 day credit card tour with this bike and wondering anyones experience using these four touring, 60 miles per day. Some say they have high rolling resistance due to their weight.
Don't worry, they'll be fine on a tour. Jeff Kruys on crazyguyonabike.com uses Marathon Pluses on his tours. His current tour has been going for almost 4 years with about 45,000 miles. He gets anywhere from 5,000 to 15,000 miles his Pluses.

As for myself, I prefer the Marathon Supremes for commuting.
Old 01-25-10, 12:10 PM
prxmid
dolce far niente

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks much Jeff

For the OP, they seem to be the tire of choice for commuters, wuth the Supremes and XR's
Old 01-25-10, 12:21 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This question comes up quite a bit, so you might try a search as well.
Old 01-25-10, 12:54 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prxmid

Hi prxmid,

SMP tires actually have quite low rolling resistance. That said, they can feel slow because of their weight. A relatively heavy tire takes more effort to spin up, but once you get them going, they should roll fine.
Old 01-25-10, 01:01 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wunderkind
What do you mean by S-bend?
An "S Bend" occurs when a tire carcass is coming apart. The threads in the fabric begin to stretch and separate which gives the outward appearance of an S if you're looking directly at the center contact patch of the tire. If any of you ever have a tire that exhibits this, change out your tire immediately; they are not long for this world.
Old 01-25-10, 01:08 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Out of the tires i've used, i'd probably say that the Marathon Supreme and Marathon Plus are my two favourites for commuter tires.

The supreme is a tire that both offers some of everything, and excels at it too. Decently light, especially for the level of protection they afford. Smooth and comfortable, but I personally think that they also roll quite fast. Reflective sidewalls and a decently light tread pattern. The only downside to this tire is the cost, but they are also likely to last considerably longer than a cheaper tire, and the only way I would think they could get any better is if the very light and largely inconsequential tread pattern was removed.

I also quite enjoy the plus. It's heavy for sure, but it rolls quite fine. I've had one on the rear wheel of my cargo bike for quite a long time now, and while other tires have been put in that same position and been shredded to uselessness in weeks or months, the plus has never suffered me a single flat or bit of trouble.
Old 01-25-10, 02:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
Specialized Armadillo All Condition (the smooth ones) 700 x 28c have been very very good to me on 3 bikes! :-) here's a link but I don't have the "Elite". Maybe that's just their latest version of the same tire?

https://****************/2009/12/speci...lo-elite-tire/

https://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/s...e-tire-reviews
Old 01-26-10, 01:51 PM
Brian T
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized armadillos are tough tires. I've used them for a long time, with liners and thorn resistant tubes.
Cant be late. Military.
Old 01-27-10, 06:32 AM
Longissimus
Longissimus

Bikes: Crisp Titanium Custom City 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just over 800 miles on Michelin Pilot Sports (700x35). Great handling and roll at 80 psi. They have a reflective side wall and a catchy moto GP tread so the tires have great aesthetics too (is that possible?). I love these tires.
Old 01-27-10, 07:08 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
There is no "best" commuter tire. It depends on the bike your are riding, the condition of your roads, the hilliness of your route and other factors. What is best for me might be terrible for you. That said, I have had excellent performance and wear with 700 x 25 Conti GP 4000s and recently installed some Conti GP 4 Season 28s that seem equally nice so far. My route is very hilly, so I value light weight as much as durability.