Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart full 105?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wal-Mart full 105?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 01:00 PM
Dilberto

Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Wally-World 105 is entirely different than LBS 105...one is designed to BREAK - the other is nearly race-able.
Old 01-25-10, 01:15 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But we're not talking about actually riding the Wally World bike--just poaching the components.

One more observation: Unlike parts/groups bought on CL or Ebay, these actually come with a receipt and a warranty likely to be honored.
Old 01-25-10, 01:29 PM
SneakyKing

Bikes: 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon, 2008 Trek fuel EX 6.5, 2005 Giant XTC, 2006 Fuji Team, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seems like a good enough deal. you may be able to sell the frame for a little something to make it an even better deal
Old 01-25-10, 02:26 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilberto
Wally-World 105 is entirely different than LBS 105...one is designed to BREAK - the other is nearly race-able.
Please cite your source.
Old 01-25-10, 02:33 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for 500 bucks, its seems like a better deal than any other of the ebay/bikesdirect/china specials. if you buy it and its not what you expected, or it just sucks walmart has a great return policy.
Old 01-25-10, 03:25 PM
alxra
I hate hate crimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, this is a good find. Some people on this forum can't see the peloton for the cyclists. They'll cry about the cheap brake pads even though they're free.
Old 01-25-10, 04:23 PM
Nikolai
Student

Bikes: Steel Michelin road bike, configured as single speed, <18lbs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/268.html

also, https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ring-this-bike

Last edited by Nikolai; 01-25-10 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 04:35 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the links. As I explained to others who have pointed out that, just because my search contains come common elements with other threads, does not mean it answers my question. As another poster nebulously pointed out, WM 105's are meant to break and LBS 105's are almost race-able. I pondered the same notion, but have found nothing to back it up. 105 is 105, no?
Old 01-25-10, 04:44 PM
ahsposo 

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,761 Times in 3,408 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i'll explain it further: walmart is one of the most unscrupulous companies in existence. it wouldnt surprise me if they were paying 10 yr old children slave labor rates in third world countries to STEAL shimano parts to put on bikes. i prefer to steer far clear of walmart altogether.
+1 The evil Empire. Just look what they are making their customers wear! https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
Old 01-25-10, 04:54 PM
Nikolai
Student

Bikes: Steel Michelin road bike, configured as single speed, <18lbs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Todd - I think (ok hope) there was a hint of sattire in the comment/post you refer to. I'm very on the fence with your find for my g/f's birthday, but hoping the local WM will have one there for inspection so I can decide.

I can't swallow the extra cost, or else I'd agree with a poster on the thread I linked above, this BD bike is a helluva lot more bike for a bit more scratch: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../falkirkIX.htm
Old 01-25-10, 04:59 PM
zeo_max

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
Thanks for the links. As I explained to others who have pointed out that, just because my search contains come common elements with other threads, does not mean it answers my question. As another poster nebulously pointed out, WM 105's are meant to break and LBS 105's are almost race-able. I pondered the same notion, but have found nothing to back it up. 105 is 105, no?
105 is 105. And no they didn't pay a 10 year old to steal the parts, that's just retar***. I've discussed this before in previous Corsa threads. This bike hurts the ego of those so called "serious cyclists" that have paid much more for a bike like this. It's a good deal, consider buying it. But also consider the Ultegra/105 version.

And BTW I'm not ashamed to say that I would gladly ride this bike stock as it comes.
Old 01-25-10, 05:51 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm telling you guys'it looks just like a Cervelo.
Old 01-25-10, 07:01 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
105 is 105. And no they didn't pay a 10 year old to steal the parts, that's just retar***. I've discussed this before in previous Corsa threads. This bike hurts the ego of those so called "serious cyclists" that have paid much more for a bike like this. It's a good deal, consider buying it. But also consider the Ultegra/105 version.

And BTW I'm not ashamed to say that I would gladly ride this bike stock as it comes.
+1. If I was on a very tight budget and the bike fits, I'd have no problem riding a bike like that.

When you pay over twice that at LBS for a similar 'brand name' bike, you are paying for brand name marketing, high overhead, an inefficient supply chain (low volume), warranty/service support, and (hopefully) experienced staff. None of that comes for free. I think it's great that there is a Walmart option for those that don't see enough value in that stuff to pay for it.

The typical local bike store is on the opposite end of the business spectrum from Walmart. Walmart is the model of efficiency and non-value add. Evil or not, that model is not going away. A LBS must deliver a lot of value beyond the actual goods they sell to be successful.

I don't buy a bike that often and I value the services that my LBS provides, so that is the route I choose. For parts and such, the internet works well. For laundry soap and motor oil, Walmart.
Old 01-25-10, 07:14 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grwoolf
+1. If I was on a very tight budget and the bike fits, I'd have no problem riding a bike like that.

When you pay over twice that at LBS for a similar 'brand name' bike, you are paying for brand name marketing, high overhead, an inefficient supply chain (low volume), warranty/service support, and (hopefully) experienced staff. None of that comes for free. I think it's great that there is a Walmart option for those that don't see enough value in that stuff to pay for it.

The typical local bike store is on the opposite end of the business spectrum from Walmart. Walmart is the model of efficiency and non-value add. Evil or not, that model is not going away. A LBS must deliver a lot of value beyond the actual goods they sell to be successful.

I don't buy a bike that often and I value the services that my LBS provides, so that is the route I choose. For parts and such, the internet works well. For laundry soap and motor oil, Walmart.
Without a doubt. I am very aware of what my LBS does for me, and hope you would agree that not buying my bike from them does not mean I am not supporting them. After all, if I don't have the tool to reset my star nut, I'm not taking it back to the Wal-Mart, I'm taking it to the LBS, and I'm tipping. When I need warm weather gear, I'm going to the LBS. Tubes? LBS. But when it comes down to a bike with 105 components for $200 less than a bike anywhere else with 2200 or Sora, c'mon, man. That is a no-brainer.

Economies of scale work for the consumer as well as the seller. I guess it all boils down to how much of a bike shop's margin is related to actual bike sales, and how much is the rest. It also begs the question How do you define support of your LBS?
Old 01-25-10, 07:29 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to agree that for $500 it's not a bad bike whether you're going to strip it or ride it. I shows that the shifters are 105 ten speed - not a bad deal.
Old 01-25-10, 07:32 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I don't really know what it is you expect? Your high post count didn't gain you the insight to an answer to this inquiry either, did it?

Seriously, value is much in the eye of the beholder. Do YOU think that this bike with the few 105 components is worth shelling out the cash for?
What happens if you Google search the components and get prices together and make a comparison? Does that help? Or were you hoping that someone else already had a price breakdown of everything and was going to make the decision for you?
Cause honestly, it seems to me like I have learned that
I could take a turd with square wheels, throw some 105 components on it, and someone would be making a thread wanting the forum to decide for them whether it was worth it or not.
That's how BF is and will always be. The sooner you get used to it, the happier you will be. Love it or leave it.
Old 01-25-10, 07:41 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilberto
NEWS FLASH!!!!
105 is fully race-able
Old 01-25-10, 07:51 PM
skinnyguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this would be a great bike for your spouse, suppose your significant other wants to try cycling but not sure if she would like it. This bike has a place in the world. Look at the full carbon model, better speced than my bike that I race. If you work on your own bikes than these are great deals. who cares about lbs thats what pro bike kit is for.
Old 01-26-10, 12:23 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That looksl like older 105 to me but who cares, it's still 105. I'm not sure though if it would be worth the price to strip it since it isn't full 105.
Old 01-26-10, 01:05 AM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd no hesitation in buying it! Geez! <$500 for a 105 roadie. What's the catch? Oh wait.... no pedals! FAIL!
Seriously, I'd hit it especially if you can take it apart and set it up yourself. Heck bring it to an LBS and have them comb over it.
Old 01-26-10, 04:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
WM clearly sees a market they can take advantage off and they know what people look for as a sign of a quality bike. if they are going to sell bikes they have to have the appearance of a competitive product. meaning the kids says; "look Dad, it's got the same stuff!" and Dad says; "OK, what the heck I can save $200!"
Old 01-26-10, 07:29 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Liked 98 Times in 31 Posts
While I am certainly not a "Road Nazi" or a racer, I would have no problem buying or even riding a bike like this....forget about cannibalizing it. A bike spec'd like that for less than $500 is a terrific deal. My bike spec'd like that which I bought new from the LBS in 2005 cost me over $800, and it was a leftover '04 model. Sure, there is plenty of crap at Wally World, but this, as the OP stated in one of his posts, seems to be a no-brainer, especially for a beginning cyclist. Also, given Walmart's liberal return policy, there is very little risk factor in buying this bike. I wish something like this was available when I picked up road cycling back in 2005.

The elitism and other boorish behaviour n this form is just something to which you must get accustomed. I have been here for awhile and, frankly, it has grown tiresome to me.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 01-26-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 07:31 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
WM clearly sees a market they can take advantage off and they know what people look for as a sign of a quality bike. if they are going to sell bikes they have to have the appearance of a competitive product. meaning the kids says; "look Dad, it's got the same stuff!" and Dad says; "OK, what the heck I can save $200!"
While this is true to some extent, I think Wal-Mart stumbling blindly into the cycling arena is more likely. An oafish brute as big as The Mart doesn't have the foresight to plan something this intricate in a niche market. I think on some level, Wally World still thinks Breaking Away just came out in theaters and wants to sell more 'ten speeds.'

If you are right though, the guy/gal who brought this idea to market needs a promotion.
Old 01-26-10, 07:38 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^^The danger to the LBS, however, is real, and it is ugly, however I think the LBS being squeezed out by Bentonville is highly unlikely due to the specialized nature of the rest of the LBS model.
Old 01-26-10, 07:59 AM
Crash2Much

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Why are you people so OBSESSED with upgrading a bike******************************???

Why not buy what you want to start with?

Another thing, WHY is everyone so OBSESSED with owning a high dollar Name Brand bike********************?

Buy a bike with the correct frame size, get the crankset you like, get the shifters you like, etc.

It is no different than going to the drug store and buying high dollar name brand drugs or cheap generic drugs. If they are both identical then why pay more. Only a jerk would by a high dollar name brand bike JUST for BRAGGING RIGHTS. Hay man...look what I have...wow man...thats cool dude.

My bike is cheap. It weight 2 lbs more than a high dollar bike. BIG #$%#@#$% DEAL. It has all the components I like and it is fast, just as fast as yours.

I don't understand biker mentality these days, I just don't get it.

Buy a Wal Mart bike if you want it. Buy a yard sale bike, strip it and put on good parts. There is nothing wrong with that. Don't be brain washed by biker mentality. Your not racing are you. So what if your bike is a lb heavy and 1/2 mph slower that a high dollar racing bike, BIG DEAL. Enjoy life and don' t get snooty.

I actually have a pretty nice bike. I bought several old yard sale bikes and stripped them all. The best frame that fits me is a 40 year old English Racer frame it weighs 4 lbs.. I put a 175mm 48/38/26 aluminum 105 crankset on it. I tried a 52T but the 48T is faster. I have a pretty nice deraullier I buy used parts on Ebay. Nothing special on the aluminum wheels just 25mm high pressure road tires. I have homemade wheel covers. Cheap handle bars. OK my bike is not a name brand, it is not beautiful and it is about 2 lbs heavy but I can ride with anyone. I do not support Nashbar, Shimano, and BikeDirect.com just for the sake of supporting them. I don't buy American either. I am sorry but the bottom line is $$$ I buy what I can afford and I don't care what people think. Make it simple and make it work.

THINK for yourself. Do let other people think for you.

Last edited by Crash2Much; 01-26-10 at 08:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.