Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First attempt at century.Fail

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First attempt at century.Fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 02:51 PM
Guillotine007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
Not to make this about me, but I burn 4,000+ on a 26 mile ride, albeit with many hills. Am I reading this right, that we are talking miles, not km?

only if there is a MUP up Mt. Everest
Old 02-08-10, 06:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
...and 3,700 calories in 90 miles? That's an awful low number.
Actually it seems high to me.

500 calories * 5.666 hours = 2833 calories. If he was really exerting himself or is quite large he might have burned as much as 600 calories per hour which would be 3400 calories.

Not to make this about me, but I burn 4,000+ on a 26 mile ride, albeit with many hills. Am I reading this right, that we are talking miles, not km?
R-I-G-H-T!!!!!!! Maybe in your dreams!!

Last edited by Machka; 02-08-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 06:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by deep_sky
It dissolves into nothingness as soon as you start sweating. I chucked the entire tube into the trash when I figured that out. What is the point of having an embrocation product completely dissolve when in contact with water? It's like the manufacturers think that we don't sweat down there.

I currently use Bag Balm because it doesn't dissolve, but it is messy and requires a good hot wash cycle to come clean. I am open to suggestions, but I do NOT want another water-soluable waste of time.
Try ... nothing at all. Nothing icky to block your pores and make a mess.

I went through a season back in 2003 trying all sorts of these products and came to the conclusion that they actually made matters worse. Now I just use a teensy dab of a lanolin or silicon based lotion on days when I know it is going to be really, really hot and I'm going to sweat a lot, or rainy days. Otherwise, I don't use anything at all.
Old 02-08-10, 09:34 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

R-I-G-H-T!!!!!!! Maybe in your dreams!!
Maybe he weighs 800 pounds...
Old 02-08-10, 09:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by rooftest
Maybe he weighs 800 pounds...
That's a point.

If that's the case he's doing amazingly well to find a bicycle to support his weight ... and then to ride 26 miles with it.
Old 02-08-10, 11:21 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try ... nothing at all. Nothing icky to block your pores and make a mess.

I went through a season back in 2003 trying all sorts of these products and came to the conclusion that they actually made matters worse. Now I just use a teensy dab of a lanolin or silicon based lotion on days when I know it is going to be really, really hot and I'm going to sweat a lot, or rainy days. Otherwise, I don't use anything at all.
Oh, Lord, let me not suffer that kind of pain ever again.

Without anything, I get this split in my skin down there, and if I grimace and push through the pain, it starts bleeding. Several types of shorts and saddles have not helped it a bit. It's a point where the skin is very thin against nothing but bone, and unless its lubricated, it tears due to not moving easily enough. I think its just some sort of personal orthopedic anomaly that I have to deal with, but I hate hate hate this water-soluble crap that doesn't do anything except waste my money
Old 02-09-10, 01:02 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You know better than that.
Old 02-09-10, 01:03 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Without anything, I get this split in my skin down there, and if I grimace and push through the pain, it starts bleeding. Several types of shorts and saddles have not helped it a bit. It's a point where the skin is very thin against nothing but bone, and unless its lubricated, it tears due to not moving easily enough. I think its just some sort of personal orthopedic anomaly that I have to deal with, but I hate hate hate this water-soluble crap that doesn't do anything except waste my money
This sounds like a horror movie. Scary stuff, I'd guess I'd have to find some kind of cream too if this were the case.
Old 02-09-10, 02:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Try something lanolin or silicon-based then ... take a wander through the baby department or hand cream department and see what you can find.
Old 02-09-10, 06:40 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Try Sudacrem
Old 02-14-10, 12:18 AM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now with 99.9% less Fail.

104.48 miles 6hrs. 17.2avg
Ride was from downtown Harlingen to South padre island and back. Very well marked route with some nice scenery. Wind was non existent 2-4mph.
I also had my first very embarrassing moment on the bike. The starting point was in a field next to a warehouse and everyone was parking on side of the road on the grassy field. I see my buddys so make my way over there there's no parking so I try to move to other side and go through a puddle. Wet grass+mud and spinning tires=pissed off riders. I felt like a total moron. I go over to register and over to apologize apologize apologize.
Other than that, ride went well. Finished strong, legs shoulders hands really take a beating.
Old 02-14-10, 12:25 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Sounds great, congratulations!
Old 02-14-10, 02:52 PM
bretthammy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It dissolves into nothingness as soon as you start sweating. I chucked the entire tube into the trash when I figured that out. What is the point of having an embrocation product completely dissolve when in contact with water? It's like the manufacturers think that we don't sweat down there.

I currently use Bag Balm because it doesn't dissolve,
but it is messy and requires a good hot wash cycle to come clean. I am open to suggestions, but I do NOT want another water-soluable waste of time.
I prefer to wash my balls on warm.
Old 02-14-10, 05:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 389 Posts
Not really. I've done sub 5 hour centuries burning well below 3000 calories.

How did you measure? Garmins, and HRM calculations are notoriously high. Measuring Kilojoules with a power meter will give you much more accurate results, and unfortunately much lower numbers.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-14-10, 05:19 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by coasting
sounds fishy. i think i've seen estimates of about 6,000 for 100 miles.
Only with a heck of a lot of climbing. Here's an example, Fast Century, ride time just over 4 hours (total time 4:36, which included 10-15 minutes rest stop, and a casual first 5-10 miles) so we working pretty hard. And I only burned half of that.

Admittedly there was little climbing, but also factor in I'm a big guy.

Old 02-15-10, 09:48 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's an old-school response from an old guy (who expects to be told, "Get over to the 50+ forum."): I think 90 miles is a very successful ride. 100 miles is just a number. However, that said, it's a number I shoot for a couple of times a year and am very proud when I do it, so keep trying.

I discovered through trial and error that not only does a faster cadence lessen potential knee troubles, it also makes me faster. Try this. On a fairly level stretch of road, pedal at your normal, slow cadence. Check out your speed. Then shift down one cog. Spin faster. Check out your speed again. Mine got faster. I shift down until I feel like I'm spinning so fast I'm going to get tired quicker. Then I back off. I've discovered as I got used to spinning faster, I could maintain a faster cadence without it making me tired.

As far as calories consumed on a ride, I have no idea how you calculate that. On a long ride I go by number of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches consumed. On a century I usually consume 1 1/2, plus a big pile of food at the lunch stop.
Old 02-15-10, 09:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
You did good.
Watch and control your pace on the next one.

Old 02-15-10, 10:27 AM
rmhaas
S2

Bikes: 2009 Cervelo S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What exactly does it do?
Friction = heat. Friction and heat cause discomfort and rash like sores over time when your skin, underwear and bibs all rub against each other for a period of time.
Old 02-15-10, 10:40 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacerOne
You know better than that.
Using a calorie calculator, here's the closest I could get...

Calories Burned Calculator
Estimate the calories you burned on your bike ride:
Pace: 16-20mph
Weight: 400 lbs
Time: 1.5 Hours
You burned 3266 calories!
Old 02-15-10, 12:55 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bad planning. Next time make the last part with a tail wind and you won't cry....the hardest part of a century is nutrition. The riding bike part is easy...
Old 02-15-10, 02:56 PM
subnoob
Victor101

Bikes: CANNONDALE CAAD4 L00K 566

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for encouragement. But check out post#36
Old 02-16-10, 04:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by rmhaas
Friction = heat. Friction and heat cause discomfort and rash like sores over time when your skin, underwear and bibs all rub against each other for a period of time.
And that period of time must be longer than the 90 hours it takes to ride a 1200 km randonnee.
Old 02-16-10, 04:10 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Not really. I've done sub 5 hour centuries burning well below 3000 calories.
Really? Were you holding onto to someone else? :wink:

(For what it's worth, I don't really count calories: just factor a gross 25 kcal/km so I can feel good about myself. Maybe I should discount it a little.)
Old 02-16-10, 08:40 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And that period of time must be longer than the 90 hours it takes to ride a 1200 km randonnee.
It clearly works for some people. You don't seem to need it and that's good for you. I've been using chamois cream since I rode on real chamois. I still use it with man made chamois and it helps.
Old 02-16-10, 08:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Pedaleur
Really? Were you holding onto to someone else? :wink:

(For what it's worth, I don't really count calories: just factor a gross 25 kcal/km so I can feel good about myself. Maybe I should discount it a little.)
Yes, see the file I posted. It was't solo, but I was doing my share of the work. (and the "well below" might have been a slight exaggeration, when I posted it before looking for the file, I thought the Kj's weren't that close to 3000).

Unless those km's have a lot of climbing, 750 calories for an hour at say 18 mph is somewhat high, but not the 200% over estimate you'll see from some calculators.

Relying on rules of thumb, Garmins, online calculators, and heart rate monitors, leads many cyclists to overestimate their calorie burn, which I think is one reason you see a fair number of fat century riders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.