Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What mirror(s) do you use?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What mirror(s) do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 09:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,599 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
If you paid attention you'd know I listen to music. Can't hear a thing.

and bogus my a** buddy...if one of these logging trucks were to surprise you on this 50 mph shoulderless, curvy, mountain road, you'd shake like a little school girl.
How is not knowing what these trucks are doing the entire time they are overtaking you being safe exactly?

Besides, my primary point all along has been that head mounted mirrors are more efficient than stationary ones. You gonna argue that??? I'm sure there's plenty of situations where your cute bar mirror would do fine...probably even the conditions you ride in.
"More Efficient"? measured by what - Grams?
I read that you use an mp3 player, so what? It only makes your Total Awareness baloney that much sillier, since you recognize that there is no need to make a fuss about hearing "cagers" at the farthest distance possible.

How many of those logging trucks are overtaking you while they are still on curves somewhere behind you out of sight of a handlebar mounted mirror?
Old 12-30-09, 11:28 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
I use a Pro Third Eye helmet mounted mirror. It works pretty good.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-31-09, 07:19 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"More Efficient"? measured by what - Grams?
I read that you use an mp3 player, so what? It only makes your Total Awareness baloney that much sillier, since you recognize that there is no need to make a fuss about hearing "cagers" at the farthest distance possible.

How many of those logging trucks are overtaking you while they are still on curves somewhere behind you out of sight of a handlebar mounted mirror?
Grams? Yet another rider who cannot understand the concept of pointing a mirror where you need and want to see as opposed to the restrictive view of the stationary mount. At least I have you thinking about the concept though.

Last edited by daredevil; 12-31-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-31-09, 07:32 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I use a Pro Third Eye helmet mounted mirror. It works pretty good.

Thank you...but you know that being able to see as good as possible is simply nonsense, right? Who needs that crap anyway?
Old 12-31-09, 07:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Grams? Well at least I know now I'm dealing with an idiot. Yet another rider who cannot understand the concept of pointing a mirror where you need and want to see as opposed to the dopey handlebar mirror and all its restrictions. Glad to see you're getting worked up about it though. Was it the scared little school girl comment or the compliment to your cute mirror?

As already mentioned, I ride mountain roads with logging trucks, what types of roads do you ride generally where seeing behind is not that important to stay safe? You gonna take the lane on one of those trucks if you ride my roads? Hell, you ain't gonna even know if they're coming half the time!

I don't ride "your roads," Jack. That is why I stated that my mirror works fine on the roads I ride on. Others have stated similar views. You seem unable to grasp that your special needs are not universally applicable to intelligent cyclists.

This is my Commuting Road, Tuff Guy. And yes I do take a lane on this 55mph road because there is no alternative as the unimproved shoulder is unfit for riding due to the use of river rock. But I don't worry about vehicles that are out of sight over the horizon or somewhere out of line of sight.

Care to try again and explain how you measured the "efficiency" of various types of mirrors? Or is that restricted data? The "restrictions" of handlebar mirrors are all in your restricted mind set. I use a mirror to keep track of traffic behind me, not traffic so far back around a curve as to be of no immediate concern. Handlebar mirror works fine, as previously stated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Truckson34-3.JPG (70.4 KB, 9 views)
Rt34Trucks-2.jpg (78.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-31-09, 07:56 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't ride "your roads," Jack. That is why I stated that my mirror works fine on the roads I ride on. Others have stated similar views. You seem unable to grasp that your special needs are not universally applicable to intelligent cyclists.

This is my Commuting Road, Tuff Guy. And yes I do take a lane on this 55mph road because there is no alternative as the unimproved shoulder is unfit for riding due to the use of river rock. But I don't worry about vehicles that are out of sight over the horizon or somewhere out of line of sight.

Care to try again and explain how you measured the "efficiency" of various types of mirrors? Or is that restricted data? The "restrictions" of handlebar mirrors are all in your restricted mind set. I use a mirror to keep track of traffic behind me, not traffic so far back around a curve as to be of no immediate concern. Handlebar mirror works fine, as previously stated.
Sorry, in retrospect I was being a bit rough so I edited most of my last after you posted this. Suffice to say, I said earlier your mirror probably works fine for your circumstances, didn't I? So I agree with you on that point. Will you agree with me, that in my circumstances your mirror would be inadequate?

And I like that bike path you get to ride on.
Old 12-31-09, 08:05 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
Thank you...but you know that being able to see as good as possible is simply nonsense, right? Who needs that crap anyway?
I realize the OP requested a bar-mounted mirror. I tried one of those and just couldn't get the knack of it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-31-09, 08:17 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I realize the OP requested a bar-mounted mirror. I tried one of those and just couldn't get the knack of it.
I know you didn't post those photos to support my argument. I certainly wouldn't want to pull you into this mess.

The way I looked at the OP, we had a noob that wanted to learn about mirrors. As the thread progressed, he in fact seemed to be sold on a head mounted mirror.
Old 12-31-09, 09:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Will you agree with me, that in my circumstances your mirror would be inadequate?
I am in agreement with you 100%.

Most often there is no one type of cycling equipment, accessory, or technique that will be the best or "ultimate" for everyone. The cycling population is made up of different people, with different cycling priorities, riding in different cycling environments. Sometimes in our enthusiasm for a favorite cycling object we forget that.
Old 12-31-09, 10:08 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter cycling has made me re-fall in love with my take-a-look mirror. There are many a times I'm using my full faculties just trying to keep the bike upright. Using the take a look I can scan for an opening for a lane change without taking much needed attention away from the rutted, semi packed snow laden road ahead.

The only major problem is at around -25 or so ice forms on my eyelashes reducing my ability to see the mirror. Have to thaw them out every stoplight or so.
Old 12-31-09, 11:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
The only major problem is at around -25 or so ice forms on my eyelashes reducing my ability to see the mirror. Have to thaw them out every stoplight or so.
How do you thaw them out at the stop light?

Which brings up a question - is it possible to use a helmet or eye glass mounted mirror while wearing a hoodie in extreme cold weather? Does it get fogged up from the body vapors escaping from around the hood.
Old 12-31-09, 10:07 PM
Zomar
spins pedals

Bikes: 2009 Orange Kilo TT Custom Built Fixed-Gear, 2009 Bianchi Volpe, 1970's Takara Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a helmet mounted mirror (third eye pro) for 7 months this year, and rode thousands of miles with it. I decided to take it off. I felt safer with it, but I enjoy riding more without a helmet mirror. I didn't like how it was always in my vision. I was riding mostly suburb roads at the time, but for the rest of this year I've been riding mostly urban roads (without a mirror). I just got an STI mounted Mirrcycle mirror for my commuter bike, and I'm going to try using that on my new commute (16 miles round trip, suburbs). So far, it is not nearly as useful as the helmet mounted mirror, that gave me total 360 vision, but it is a lot less annoying for me.
Old 01-01-10, 08:54 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you thaw them out at the stop light?

Which brings up a question - is it possible to use a helmet or eye glass mounted mirror while wearing a hoodie in extreme cold weather? Does it get fogged up from the body vapors escaping from around the hood.
The problem with a glasses mounted mirror in the cold is that the glasses themselves fog up easily. I fortunately do not have to wear glasses so in those conditions I use the helmet mirror. I do prefer the glasses mounted Take-A-Look mirror however and use it on sunglasses or clear glasses when possible. I've tried the product Cat Crap btw that is supposed to prevent fogging. It's appropriately named, doesn't work worth a crap.

As far as the hoodie question, are you wearing the hoodie with the helmet over the top of it? If so, that would probably work OK. Otherwise your hood is going to block your view. I wear a regular ole balaclava under my helmet and it's good to whatever temp you want.

Happy New Year ILTB! Don't you just love the dynamics of this place?
Old 01-01-10, 04:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The problem with a glasses mounted mirror in the cold is that the glasses themselves fog up easily. I fortunately do not have to wear glasses so in those conditions I use the helmet mirror. I do prefer the glasses mounted Take-A-Look mirror however and use it on sunglasses or clear glasses when possible. I've tried the product Cat Crap btw that is supposed to prevent fogging. It's appropriately named, doesn't work worth a crap.

As far as the hoodie question, are you wearing the hoodie with the helmet over the top of it? If so, that would probably work OK. Otherwise your hood is going to block your view. I wear a regular ole balaclava under my helmet and it's good to whatever temp you want.

Happy New Year ILTB! Don't you just love the dynamics of this place?
Thanks for the responsive and informative answer.

Helmet wear is not a concern of mine. I normally wear a baseball type cap. In colder weather I wear a hoodie over it. In single digit temps, I'll wear a knit cap instead of the baseball cap. These headgear combos are compatible with the headphones I wear for listening to audio books while commuting, staying warm and/or keeping sun/rain/snop off my glasses. I stop so seldom on my 12 mile commute that eyeglas fogging is not normally a problem. I have experienced fogging of my handlebar mirror from the vapors escaping from my mittens, but only once at -15°F.
Old 02-25-10, 08:01 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read the whole thread. OP stated "handlebar mirror" yet the conversation went all over the map, which is good - at least we're talking about mirrors - which I believe to be an important cycling safety tool.

I like "head-mounted" mirrors yet wasn't satisfied with the available options. Here's a version for eye/sunglasses (not a new design) that I came up with. Posted here for others to pattern or follow signature link.

Old 02-25-10, 08:49 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
On my recumbent, I have a parabolic mirror mounted on a stainless steel rod that I hand-filed myself 30 years ago.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-25-10, 09:18 AM
digger

Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

I went with Mirrycle's Road Mirror for STI.

It mounts out of the way of my hands, yet right where I instinctively look for a mirror. Within days, I bought one for my second bike too.
Hi Tsl,

What is the secret to using this mirror? I eagerly bought one myself, but when I mounted it, all I could see was my arm (I have 40cm bars). No amount of adjusting would work, so I returned it. I wanted to try this one, as the only other option is a bar end mirror, which I found was ok, but did vibrate a tich.

----------

Claims of "the best" are entirely subjective, whatever works for you, use it. I have a mircycle for my commuter bike and yes, I do find them really good.

I thave since bought my first helmet mirror, and although I haven't used it on road yet, early indications seem to be good (using on the trainer in my basement).
Old 02-25-10, 09:36 AM
digger

Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Prefer Mirrycle mountain mirror on my commuting bike -
I've been thinking about doing that myself. In a post above I stated that the Brifter mounted version would be blocked by my arm.

This will extend the mirror out more, although I have to look further down, but not much.
Old 02-25-10, 10:09 AM
TheLifeOfBryan
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the past couple years I've used Mirrycle MTB-style mirrors on all my bikes, whether straight or drop bars. Recently I switched to their STI model... when I get around to it I'll be switching back. I find that they have a smaller range of just-right adjustment, such that I am frequently having to move it slightly. I also cannot find a position for it that works in all three riding positions (hoods, drops, hands-free), which I could achieve with the MTB version.
Old 02-25-10, 10:14 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
All the third eye mirrors I had broke easily. Now I just use the Take-a-look ones. They've worked great so far. Also if you don't wear glasses just get a pair of safety glasses from Home Depot.
Old 02-25-10, 10:31 AM
ARider2

Liked 153 Times in 107 Posts
I use a bar end mirror on my mountain and road bikes. I tried a helmet mount mirror but found that I liked the bar end mirror better.
Old 02-25-10, 12:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by aadhils
All the third eye mirrors I had broke easily. Now I just use the Take-a-look ones. They've worked great so far. Also if you don't wear glasses just get a pair of safety glasses from Home Depot.
I wear prescription eyeglasses and during the winter I use safety glasses from Home Depot instead of ski goggles. I have posted many times about this set-up as to how it prevents fogging and the rigid earpiece of the safety glasses provides an attachment for a Take-a-Look mirror. It doesn’t work with a Third Eye.

…Which brings up a question - is it possible to use a helmet or eye glass mounted mirror while wearing a hoodie in extreme cold weather? Does it get fogged up from the body vapors escaping from around the hood.
The mirror on the safety glasses is far enough away from my face that it doesn’t fog at all. Below are pictures of the set-up in place, and of my safety glasses that partly frosted on the right side during the last two miles of a 14 mile commute at minus 8 degrees. Nonetheless I could still see forward and to my left to see the mirror. Note also that the safety glasses are actually suspended from my woolen cap by a vertical Velcro strip sewn into the cap. (Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.)
Attached Images
Side view with face mask.jpg (101.1 KB, 8 views)
Frosted glasses front.jpg (93.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-25-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 12:37 PM
mikeinroch

Bikes: 1982 Team Fuji, 1992 Nishiki Backroads, 1999 Diamondback Topanga SE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Third Eye bar-end mirror on both my drop-bar road bike and my rigid MTB. I like the field of view, good compromise for size and convexity and it doesn't move around a lot. I don't notice much vibration with it either. One minor annoyance, though, is that it precludes being able to lay the bike on its left side (right side being out due to the risk of derailleur damage) or lean the left side against a wall (when oiling a chain, for example). Without fenders you could lay it on the left side if you flip the front wheel perpendicular, I suppose. If you use a kickstand it won't matter.

I have Rx glasses so I am hesitant to switch to a helmet mounted mirror.
Old 02-25-10, 02:16 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use a bar end mirrcyle mtb mirror with good results. I can see the cars coming up from my left. Most of my route is low traffic. I have found a solution for my road bike that has bar end shifters. I took an old road stem and cut the quill part off. I slipped the handlebar part over the end of the left drop bar on my bike, which then left a hole to mount the bar end mirror. I don't have a problem with my arm blocking the mirror in any hand position. This what works for me. See back page of Bicycle Times #1.
Old 02-25-10, 04:06 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Okay, I'll take the contrary position.

I tried a glasses mounted mirror. I didn't like it at all.

First, it pulled my glasses down on the one side. Those of you with astigmatism or bifocals (I have both) know how that screws up your vision. Second, no matter how I tried adjusting it, all I could see was my own shoulder. So why should I use an "obviously" superior product that only ruined my vision and didn't show me what I wanted to see anyway?

I went with Mirrycle's Road Mirror for STI.

It mounts out of the way of my hands, yet right where I instinctively look for a mirror. Within days, I bought one for my second bike too.
Interesting. I also wear bi-focals and have astigmatism. I use a glasses mounted mirror, which I really like, and also a handlebar mounted mirror. I haven't experienced any problems with the glasses mounted mirror and feel it does a better job than the handlebar mounted one.

Regardless which one you prefer, I wouldn't ride without one or the other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.