Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did I litter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did I litter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 02:52 PM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Go dog Go
No, but all the dead raccoons on the road where people are constantly throwing **** out does.. Or perhaps it's just a natural raccoon crossing area.

Holy crap, do you people argue about the color of the sky too?

Throw your crap everywhere and justify it to yourself if it makes you happy. Seems like that's status quo these days....it's all about mememememememememememe

Take the low road, it's easier.
You have to draw a line somewhere man. We shouldn't ride our bikes. It applies small amounts of unnatural rubber to an unnatural road made by an unnatural being.
Old 02-26-10, 03:11 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
A classic.

I saw no apple cores.
Old 02-26-10, 03:14 PM
sfrider

Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonoma76
So, BF, judge me. Did I litter?
Yes. If you don't want someone to throw toss it on your front yard, don't throw it on the side of the road. While not the same as a bottle or plastic bag, it's still unsightly and it's still trash.
Old 02-26-10, 03:17 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
Honestly, I'm not arguing. I'm not even saying it's not true. I'm just curious if anyone has actually studied this, or if it's just repeated so much it is believed.

Meh. I'm gonna' throw another banana peel in the ditch tomorrow anyway. F the raccoons. Or whatever little varmint they have here.

By the way, the sky is purple.
azure

Old 02-26-10, 04:28 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Leave no trace
I agree, but seriosly how long does an apple core or banana peel last in the elements? I can tell you they last a LOT longer in a hefty bag.

I wonder if all of the "leave no trace" crowd went back to the landfills and excavated all of the disposable diapers that were used in their upbringing and had them recycled....
Old 02-26-10, 04:31 PM
H-Bear

Bikes: Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 and methane are bad for the environment; therefore, you shouldn't breathe nor fart.
Old 02-26-10, 04:47 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
I think an interesting poll would be to find out how many of you live in the country vs how many live in the city, and what the opinions on littering of the country folk vs city folk are.
Old 02-26-10, 05:00 PM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright cool. Consensus seems to be that I littered. My conscience was right. I'm glad I went back and picked it up.

That said, I will pay the "Don't Litter!" message forward by delivering a swift kick to the thigh of any cyclist I see tossing a cliff bar or gel pack wrapper. That will make me feel better about getting chewed out for littering an apple core when there were literally hundreds of mylar wrappers (and entire water bottles) tossed carelessly into the desert

*crying indian*
Old 02-26-10, 05:06 PM
swak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im guilty of some of those CLIF bar wrappers you seen on the side of the road...
But ive seen worse than a wrapper... Beer cans, hubcaps, etc...

Its not the end of the world, plus it keeps the inmates on highway cleanup duty busy

EDIT: But, i carry a hand pump, so you wont see me throwing CO2 cartridges on the side of the road. So i guess it evens out... With that being said, ive seen a good sum of CO2 cartridges out there, with a busted tube sitting next to it often.

Last edited by swak; 02-26-10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 05:43 PM
Bo-Ridley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Sonoma76;10456006]Alright cool. Consensus seems to be that I littered. My conscience was right. I'm glad I went back and picked it up.

That said, I will pay the "Don't Litter!" message forward by delivering a swift kick to the thigh of any cyclist I see tossing a cliff bar or gel pack wrapper. That will make me feel better about getting chewed out for littering an apple core when there were literally hundreds of mylar wrappers (and entire water bottles) tossed carelessly into the desert

I don't think you littered. I would try to toss it where it wouldn't be seen. It will then degrade.

I should add that I agree with everything TSPEK says and disagree with everything BillyD and DXchulo say. Completely.

Machka: I live in NYC and, from the looks of it, the city people really like their trash on the ground where they can enjoy its' beauty as it blows down the street. I'm not sure how much longer I will have my teeth since I almost get in a fight every week with some idiot who throws their trash on the sidewalk. The last time I was in London the first thing I noticed was how much cleaner it is than here. I suggest the difference is in country (nation) rather than country (rural). I call plastic bags Tunisian wildflowers, and if you've been there you know why.
Old 02-26-10, 05:56 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
A classic.

I saw no apple cores.
Switch to 70s HD YouTube.
Old 02-26-10, 06:22 PM
ckelly49
MANANA.

Bikes: '06 Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 02-26-10, 06:42 PM
Jay-W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
lol at this thread
+1000

Sometimes the 33 are right...
Old 02-26-10, 06:47 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You didn't litter.

People have mostly forgotten what litter was REALLY like. You'd see soda cans, soda can pop tabs, cigarette packs, potato chip bags, -- you name it, it was on the side of the road.

Then we had the big anti-litter campaign in the 70's, with the crying Indian and everything. Litter hasn't been anywhere near as bad ever since then.

Apple core? Feh. If you threw a TV, then there'd be a problem.
Old 02-26-10, 06:48 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO, you didn't litter. If so, then every apple tree in the world litters. Who baiscally give a **** what some dickhead said to you about littering. He's wrong. an apple core is not littering. final answer. period.
Old 02-26-10, 08:39 PM
kunselman.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have just eaten the core, problem solved
Old 02-26-10, 09:10 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 828 Times in 460 Posts
I blow my nose cyclist-style while riding. Is that littering?
Old 02-26-10, 09:13 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I blow my nose cyclist-style while riding. Is that littering?
Yes. What if a raccoon tastes the salt and learns to look for human snot? You need to carry a baggie and pocket that booger, then make sure the plastic baggie gets to a landfill where it belongs.
Old 02-26-10, 09:15 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I think an interesting poll would be to find out how many of you live in the country vs how many live in the city, and what the opinions on littering of the country folk vs city folk are.
Over the years, I'd have to be able to vote "both".
Old 02-26-10, 09:47 PM
QuickityJacks

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck, Ridley Crossbow, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a local and couldn't care less about an apple core (with a deferential nod to the quantity point made earlier). That said, the amount of water bottles just tossed on the road at the first stop was irritating and I'm still picking up gel packets and gleukos bottles two weeks later when my rides take me anywhere near the SAG stops. It's not an environmental thing with me at all, it's a "your parents need a slap for raising such an inconsiderate slob" sort of thing, especially when the bulk of the riders were, for lack of a better term, welcomed weekend guests.
Old 02-26-10, 09:54 PM
FR4NCH1SE

Bikes: 2009 GMC DENALI (walmart bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, its actually good for the environment, you are basically recycling, I rather have a apple core on the ground where it will become soil and food for other animals then having wrappers or bottles or other things people throw away.
Old 02-26-10, 10:00 PM
wulery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Look at it like this . . . if I were riding alone in the woods I too would see no problem tossing a natural, biodegradable byproduct like an apple core or banana peel to the side of the road where it will surely decompose in short order. In a week or less it will be gone. Yes, I would do it! Hell, I'm sure I've done it!

But this is the desert. Apples are in no way native to the desert. The climate is totally different. It's just our laziness that makes us want to assume it will decompose quickly like it would in a temperate climate like the woods. I'm no biologist, but I doubt it will.

More importantly, this is a ride of 10,000 riders all taking the same route. If just 1 out of 20 of those riders tossed a biodegradable byproduct to the side of the road, that's 500 pieces of trash/litter/refuse now littering the countryside (desertside?). You want to tell me that's not a problem? And that's only 500 people. What if 5,000 people littered?

The alternative is simple. Take a plastic baggie and deposit the mushy apple core or banana peel or orange rinds, stuff it in your jersey pocket right next to your cell phone or co2 pump, and carry it with you to a garbage can. There's no excuse for not doing the right thing.
Originally Posted by BillyD
The question you should ask yourself is this: If a cop was sitting there, would I throw this stuff on the ground?

If the answer is 'no' - and you know it will be - then you also know that it's wrong.

You can make all the excuses and rationalizations you want, but you know it's wrong. And it's wrong because it doesn't belong there, period. Stop making excuses, do the right thing . . . carry a plastic bag with you for ALL your refuse, biodegradable or not.
Here's two people with their priorities backwards. Save the earth by adding more plastic bags to landfills? Makes sense

And here's some good trivia. The crying "Indian" is really an italian actor.
Old 02-26-10, 10:30 PM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wulery
Here's two people with their priorities backwards. Save the earth by adding more plastic bags to landfills? Makes sense

And here's some good trivia. The crying "Indian" is really an italian actor.
It's not so bad...it's only one person.
Old 02-26-10, 11:04 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I got in the same discussion with a police officer on the side of the road one afternoon about a bananna peel. The officer, judge, and fine I paid all agreed. Littering.
Old 02-26-10, 11:12 PM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I got in the same discussion with a police officer on the side of the road one afternoon about a bananna peel. The officer, judge, and fine I paid all agreed. Littering.
They are idiots.

Or greedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.