Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best AAA Rear Light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 08:16 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I might just have to get four Sette Glos at that price.

What would be nice is a light source that can be used by motor vehicles to judge distance. Flashers are nice but sometimes they just confuse drivers.
Old 04-08-10, 06:46 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
I might just have to get four Sette Glos at that price.

What would be nice is a light source that can be used by motor vehicles to judge distance. Flashers are nice but sometimes they just confuse drivers.
That's why the Dinotte patterns are so nice. bright flash over steady lower brightness.

Or you can run multiple lights, one on steady. That's what I did before I got the Dinotte.
Old 04-09-10, 01:58 AM
Giro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I'm not comfortable using what amounts to a tactical strobe pattern in the 10-12Hz range. If it were something slower-paced like the DiNotte's Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash *pause* then I'd be all over it
Well, it also has the usual S-O-S mode, but that is a bit too slow a flash rate.

I'm awaiting details on the Geoman/Magicshine tail light. If it would only combine the PB Superflash's pattern + DiNotte/Ultrafire-501 lumens (with lower lumens selectable) + side lighting of some of the lights in this thread + price under ~$40 ... but that is probably unrealistic at present.
Old 04-09-10, 08:03 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
The dinotte doesn't run on AAAs... whats it dong in this thread?
I personally don't like AAAs. They have very little power, less than half that of a AA. I preferred the Cateye TL-LD1xxx. I haven't seen the newer models, and now that I have a Dinotte I probably wouldn't get one anyway. But I'd always have preferred the lights to be a tiny bit larger to take AAs and last 2.5x longer.
Old 04-09-10, 12:50 PM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I personally don't like AAAs. They have very little power, less than half that of a AA. I preferred the Cateye TL-LD1xxx. I haven't seen the newer models, and now that I have a Dinotte I probably wouldn't get one anyway. But I'd always have preferred the lights to be a tiny bit larger to take AAs and last 2.5x longer.
The specs for the LD1100 with AA's are the same as the Superflash with AAA's, 100 hours on flash. On constant, the Superflash claims 80 hours.....while the LD1100 says 50. There are more LED's to run with LD1100 I presume, so that should be taken into account. But as far as comparing the light as a whole to the AAA versions were talking about in this thread, it isn't accurate to claim it lasts 2.5x longer.
Old 04-09-10, 12:59 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ccd rider
But as far as comparing the light as a whole to the AAA versions were talking about in this thread, it isn't accurate to claim it lasts 2.5x longer.
OK, it'll last 2.5x times given the same light design. The problem now is that manufacturers only seem to use AAs for lights that put out a lot of power.

My problem is that I don't want to have to keep track of and carry spares for two different kinds of batteries, and most of my devices use AAs. It's kind of a pain to carry another pair of batteries just for that one light.
Old 04-09-10, 03:50 PM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I know you said AAA, and this has limited visibility from the side, but for $10 I would not be without one of these. Probably rivals a Dinotte in brightness, ALL FOR $10!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20333

I use this and a PBSF.
Last night my neighbor said he thought I was a flying saucer or something.
How do you mount that? And it's not really $10 if someone's gotta buy an 18650 and a charger and a mount.. Interesting though
Old 04-09-10, 09:26 PM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

My problem is that I don't want to have to keep track of and carry spares for two different kinds of batteries, and most of my devices use AAs. It's kind of a pain to carry another pair of batteries just for that one light.
There's a cure for that pain. Get two rear AAA blinkies (in fact you could get 3 of the Sette Glo's for the price of one LD1100). You're still "carrying" an extra set in a sense, but you get the benefit of extra lighting for safety as well (perhaps have one that flashes and one that's solid). You can even stagger the batteries placement in the respective lights to ensure always having one set fresher than the other.

Redundancy=good.
Old 04-09-10, 11:08 PM
Mr Zippy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very happy with one of these. Just got another one as I've recently had batteries die on me halfway through a ride, so now I'll have two rear lights and two head lights, and won't get stuck at night riding without a light.

https://www.fibreflare.com/
Old 04-22-10, 09:05 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the Mars 4.0 and found the button to be frustrating, I just couldn't feel/press it without dismounting my bike (seatpost mounted); it is priced right and bright and eye-catching though. Switched to the Radbot100 from Portland Design Works and love it- super easy to find/actuate the button and it's brighter than the Mars.