Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed death trap. Why is my bike posessed? Newbie ? re: track frame geometry

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Single Speed death trap. Why is my bike posessed? Newbie ? re: track frame geometry

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 08:41 AM
afranklin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Saturday is the third time this bike tried to kill me. It drives fine in a straight line - very responsive and as fast as the wind. But when I took a gentle 15 mph corner over the weekend, I had to go off the road - I felt like I would have dumped it had I not gone off the road on purpose. I feel like I sit real high on the bike and feel "topheavy" - like driving a 15 pass. van vs. a Corvette. The bike seems to have incredible straight-line directional stability and is happy going straight, but to feel safe and in control in turns, I have to slow it way down. Maybe this is normal for a track bike - I don't know. My regular bike is a '67 Paramount P-10. Compared to it, this bike is a whirling dervish on acid. Thanks for the comments on the headset. The headset is a little crunchy at the far right end of its travel when I turn it in free space, but a gentle bump with my finger will move it through full travel. Perhaps when I get on this under load, it gets real tight for some reason and is causing the problem. Thanks for any insight. I will try again to load pictures from tinypic -Andy

CANT MAKE PHOTO LOAD. Sorry. Try HTTP://Tinypic.com/r/11ttp4h/5 or https://i42.tinypic.com/11ttp4h.jpg
Old 04-12-10, 08:48 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
What was wrong with the other thread you started that was exactly the same as this one?
Old 04-12-10, 08:53 AM
afranklin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couldn't make photo load. Thanks to the responder who recommended tinypic.com.
Old 04-12-10, 08:57 AM
carbondated

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afranklin
Saturday is the third time this bike tried to kill me. It drives fine in a straight line - very responsive and as fast as the wind. But when I took a gentle 15 mph corner over the weekend, I had to go off the road - I felt like I would have dumped it had I not gone off the road on purpose. I feel like I sit real high on the bike and feel "topheavy" - like driving a 15 pass. van vs. a Corvette. The bike seems to have incredible straight-line directional stability and is happy going straight, but to feel safe and in control in turns, I have to slow it way down. Maybe this is normal for a track bike - I don't know. My regular bike is a '67 Paramount P-10. Compared to it, this bike is a whirling dervish on acid. Thanks for the comments on the headset. The headset is a little crunchy at the far right end of its travel when I turn it in free space, but a gentle bump with my finger will move it through full travel. Perhaps when I get on this under load, it gets real tight for some reason and is causing the problem. Thanks for any insight. I will try again to load pictures from tinypic -Andy

CANT MAKE PHOTO LOAD. Sorry. Try HTTP://Tinypic.com/r/11ttp4h/5 or https://i42.tinypic.com/11ttp4h.jpg
A: Fix your headset, that means until it is smoothly moving throughout the full range.

B: Sounds like you are turning your bars way too much by this description. It is impossible to diagnose such problems online, find an experienced rider and ride with them, have them observe you. That said, if you are turning your bars more than a pinch, you are trying to control your turn with your bars instead of your lean. That's a recipe for disaster. Lean more, turn less, way way less.
Old 04-12-10, 09:12 AM
Young Version

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you riding the flats or the drops when cornering?
Old 04-12-10, 09:16 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
If your bike does manage to kill you, I'll take it.
Old 04-12-10, 09:34 AM
the_don

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was thinking the same thing,

This bike seems too nice to be in the hands of someone this clueless though...

I smell a troll.

Unless there really is something terribly wrong with the bike. Even if there was, about 20 people on here would still buy it!
Old 04-12-10, 09:38 AM
afranklin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Sat. it was the Flats. Hunkered down on drops, it's better, but still scary.

Originally Posted by Young Version
Are you riding the flats or the drops when cornering?
On Sat. it was the Flats. Hunkered down on drops, it's better, but still scary.
Old 04-12-10, 11:14 AM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the top tube looks bent...
Old 04-12-10, 12:11 PM
Ingleside
MARGINALS

Bikes: 09 Tarmac Pro SL / Sunday BMX /

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you suck at riding bikes... or something is terribly wrong with your bike.
Old 04-12-10, 12:43 PM
cal_blam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chi-james
I think maybe so too. That'll do it. Also is that a little ding on the top tube? Hard to tell from the photo tho.
Old 04-12-10, 01:01 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by chi-james
That's just a ding from the end of the handlebars hitting it. It should not affect the handling.

I think the issue here is that this track bike has tighter geometry, a shorter wheelbase, and a higher bottom bracket than the bike the OP is used to riding.

That Cinelli is going to feel very twitchy compared to a 67 Paramount. And the reason you feel like you're sitting up higher is because you are, given a higher BB height. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-12-10, 05:41 PM
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could also be that OP is so used to coasting through corners he can't lean properly while pedaling.
Old 04-13-10, 03:10 AM
Kneez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
This sounds like a bike handling problem, not a bike problem. Take your turns slower until you accustomed to the bike.