Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is giant 75 miles per charge too new to buy?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Is giant 75 miles per charge too new to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 09:33 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I have no experience with e-bikes whatsoever. But reading through this thread, I got to wondering something:

I don't really recall budget in the list of wants/needs. Main priority is finding something the OP can mount. That being said, have you considered any recumbents or semi-'bents with motors? Day6 comes with an electric model. Lightfoot has different power assist options.

There is a BF member who converted her trike- formerlyRE. She doesn't post near as much as she used to since this new and improved vB4 rolled out.
Old 05-02-10, 10:11 PM
AngieM

Bikes: just a 150cc scooter; looking to buy first electric bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, no1mad... I really love the DreamE, the looks, the LifePO4 battery, the range, etc. I had to email them for the price, though. When they don't give the price, that means I'll have a heart attack when I see it. Here's hoping not; this one would be in the top 3 of my list. I don't like the recumbents, though. In the a.m. I will look a bit closer at the other models you suggested. Thanks again.
Old 05-03-10, 10:32 AM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dream6 bikes

I looked at the bike no1mad recommended and I do like it, except the price of $2,199. The only other concern is the motor with no cover (which means a lot of dirt getting in it and possibly a piece of clothing???). I was wondering if anyone has the time, would you please check out the motor on this link and tell me if it's something to avoid:

https://dreamebike.com/index-4.html

Thanks,
Angie
Old 05-03-10, 11:52 AM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like it's available in standard frame or small frame so that looks like just right for you. Are you talking about the 360 series?

https://dreamebike.com/360Series.html

I'd go with a hub motor setup if I were you. I just think it'd be less maintenance, less chance of anything going wrong with a hub motor since all the moving parts are inside the hub rather than exposed like that. You might accidentally catch your pant leg in the chain or something. Other than that, looks okay to me. It has a 24v15AH lifepo4 battery which is what you want. That's going to be a good battery that will last a long time as long as you take care of it and charge it after each ride. If you lived near me, I'd build you one myself for free as long as you supplied the parts. Someone helped me build my first e-bike too but I had to pay him.

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The dreamebike looks good for the reason being, they don't use any proprietary wheels or anything else so if you have a problem and you need a new rim, you don't have to purchase it from them and get charged an arm and a leg for it.

Last edited by morph999; 05-03-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 02:21 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngieM
I looked at the bike no1mad recommended and I do like it, except the price of $2,199. The only other concern is the motor with no cover (which means a lot of dirt getting in it and possibly a piece of clothing???). I was wondering if anyone has the time, would you please check out the motor on this link and tell me if it's something to avoid:

https://dreamebike.com/index-4.html

Thanks,
Angie
Now that is a very slick bike. I have always thought that it would be much nicer to have the peddles futher up front like that. Lets fase it the only reason you want them more directly under your butt is when your really putting in the effort and maybe standing up. But something I'm not interested in doing (that's why I have an ebike in the first place.

Morph..Please note this bike is not sold with a hub motr at all. It is only sold with a Cyclone motor conversion kit.

Angie... Here's a link to the US sakes ofor the motor kit (Cyclone motor) that is being used on the DAY 6 bikes. Please note they even show a DAY 6 bike on their home page. Maybe they also sell them. You could aks them. The owner's name is Jim Olson. I have 2 of the 360w Cyclone motor kit on my older bikes. Personally I would prefer the added power of the 500w but that's me. The 360w is a good motor but when buying just the kit it's only $50 more for the 500w. Of course DAY 6 is charging $300 more. And it's not for the added batter size ether.

FYI... They are over stating the range for these motors and batteries by at least 25%. My 360w will run about 20 to 25 miles on a 24v 20ah lifepo4 battery pack. But that's not a major problem because you can always add more battery later on. The big problem is the crazy price tag on the DAY 6 bikes. Nice bikes but....WOW !! Of course if you consider a nice bike at $500, a motor kit at $500, a barrery and bag at $250(24v 20ah Thunder Sky) and a charger for $25 that's 1275 bucks plus you have to assemble it all ( about 2 to 4 hours). Please note I don't think they are suppling a BMS or LVC with this bike. So you will need to add at least a LVC. They still have at least an extra grand stuffed in their pricing.
Old 05-03-10, 09:21 PM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angie's bikes

Awww, Morph, how sweet to offer to build my bike! If I did live near you I'd probably learn a lot! Thanks to you both for the input; you both said exactly what I was feeling about this bike, AND these bikes have a lot of wires showing.
Maybe if I just bought the frame and got a decent kit because so far it seems like the only frame that will fit me just right.
I SO agree about the hub motor; this one looks odd for the price... or for any price. These bikes really are VERY over-priced... too bad.
What is BMS and LVC ???
Old 05-03-10, 10:33 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awww, Morph, how sweet to offer to build my bike! If I did live near you I'd probably learn a lot! Thanks to you both for the input; you both said exactly what I was feeling about this bike, AND these bikes have a lot of wires showing.
Maybe if I just bought the frame and got a decent kit because so far it seems like the only frame that will fit me just right.
I SO agree about the hub motor; this one looks odd for the price... or for any price. These bikes really are VERY over-priced... too bad.
What is BMS and LVC ???
Angie,

BMS stands for "Battery Management System," a computer board used on Lithium batteries to prevent overcharging or discharging the battery too deeply, both of which will kill a battery prematurely. LVC stands for "Low Voltage Cutoff," one of the functions of the BMS--cutting off power before the battery is too deeply discharged and damaged. I did not use a BMS on the LIFEPO4 battery pack that I built. Instead, I used a newer, less-expensive piece of electronics called the CellLog 8s, which monitors charging and discharging and will sound an alarm to prevent me from overcharging or too deeply discharging my battery. For those who have brakes (the brake lever is wired to cutoff the bike's motor when depressed), the CellLog 8S can actually be wired to e-brakes to cutoff power. The CellLog 8S is under $40, most BMS computer boards will cost close to or over $100.

I would suggest that you try out a recumbent before considering buying one. I'm one of those who wouldn't be comfortable on the Dream E bike. I prefer an upright bike.

You can get a new 8-speed Biria Easy Board for $650 (plus shipping) online. If your local bicycle shop can get Birias, maybe you could negotiate a lower price by printing out the online prices and taking it in to show them. They're only 5-inches off the ground so you should have no problems getting on or off. Another hub motor to look at is the geared hub motor sold by hightechbikes.com. Geared motors tend to provide better torque if you're in a hilly area. His hub motor kit is less expensive too. It gets good reviews on the Endless Spheres forum. Just take your time, keep refining your list.
Old 05-04-10, 05:38 PM
Little-Acorn

Bikes: '72 Schwinn Sports Tourer, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '79 Schwinn Twinn Sport 10sp tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
I found it frustrating that many drivers didn't seem to understand hand signals, which is understandable since all cars have been required to have signals lights for a number of decades now.
nwmtnbkr, drivers understand hand signals by people on bikes, just fine.

The signals mean, "Aim here."

Surely you knew that.
Old 05-04-10, 08:51 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
nwmtnbkr, drivers understand hand signals by people on bikes, just fine.

The signals mean, "Aim here."

Surely you knew that.
LOL, well they know which direction I'm going to turn now and when I'm stopping. Truthfully, I can understand why younger drivers don't remember hand signals. It's been decades since it's been legal to sell a car or other motorized street vehicle without turn signals. Since drivers don't need to use hand signals, most just don't retain any memory of them from drivers ed. I found it funny when I moved here that they allow ATVs to be licensed and driven on public roads, but the ATVs driven on the roads all have signal lights.
Old 05-06-10, 06:05 AM
mikek3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EZEE conversion kit

I purchased an EZEE conversion kit with a rear motor last year witha 36V LIPO battery.
I have now a little over 1000 kms on it.
I converted my old mountain bike. It only took an evening to do the conversion. I really like the
bike as a commuter. I commuted by bike for 18 years but my knees gave out. The EZEE has
saved the day. It seems to be very well built and can handle all kinds of weather.
Old 05-11-10, 09:30 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking on Craigs List for ebikes and came across this and thought it might be interesting for you. https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1736357704.html

These electric bicycles are COVERED with a full year warranty. They travel up to 20 MPH and go up to 30 miles on a single charge. You DO NOT NEED a driver license, registration or insurance to ride one. HyBikes come FULLY equipped with NO hidden charges for options...EVERYTHING IS INCLUDED. For more information call 480-375-8765 or visit our website.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 05-11-10, 09:35 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the same add including shipping. I don't know about the quality of the bike but the price is good.

Here's the rep's direct wer site. I gotta say it look pretty good. The only thing they don't tell is what kind of battery is in it. They even offer interest free financing if you want it.

https://www.hybikes.com/features.htm

ELECTRIC BIKE-PRICE INCLUDES SHIPPING - $899 (Chicago)

Date: 2010-05-08, 10:00AM CDT
Reply to: sale-cwcd3-1730609256@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

HyBIkes Electric BICYCLES come with a FULL 1 YEAR WARRANTY and you DO NOT need a driver license. They all travel up to 20 MPH without pedaling and travel up to 30 miles on a single charge. They come fully equipped including a REMOTE CONTROL alarm system (just like a car) For more information call 4980-375-8765 or visit www.HyBikes.com and you will find all of the information on the features page of our website!!!
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Last edited by dumbass; 05-11-10 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 08:52 AM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, dumbass, but not my style, although it does have a lot of features on my preferences list... doesn't mean I won't give it another look. I've had an out-of-state visitor this past week and had to put my search aside. I am now going through this entire thread and making one document out of all the comments that are of most interest to me... and there are SO many of them. This is more time consuming than I thought it would be and I want a bike NOW! Good thing I'm in retirement mode for real now.
Old 05-12-10, 06:44 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't be afraid of considering one of the less expensive Currie bikes that use a non-hub motor. I have good luck with my conversion kit handling the steep grades here. This isn't the steepest road I ride frequently, but it has a steady climb upward til it reaches an undeveloped forest road where it does get extremely steep as it climbs up one of the mountains the ring the valley here. Going up this hill, I can maintain a steady speed of 10-11 MPH, with pedaling. This video is showing a down hill run (I'm playing with a new camcorder and discovered I hadn't pressed the on button firmly enough so I didn't get the up hill part of this short run close to home). I can stay seated on hills and keep a speed of around 10 MPH, except on the steepest hills. Good luck in making your decision.

Old 05-13-10, 11:54 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dumbass
Here's the same add including shipping. I don't know about the quality of the bike but the price is good.

Here's the rep's direct wer site. I gotta say it look pretty good. The only thing they don't tell is what kind of battery is in it. They even offer interest free financing if you want it.

https://www.hybikes.com/features.htm

ELECTRIC BIKE-PRICE INCLUDES SHIPPING - $899 (Chicago)

Date: 2010-05-08, 10:00AM CDT
Reply to: sale-cwcd3-1730609256@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

HyBIkes Electric BICYCLES come with a FULL 1 YEAR WARRANTY and you DO NOT need a driver license. They all travel up to 20 MPH without pedaling and travel up to 30 miles on a single charge. They come fully equipped including a REMOTE CONTROL alarm system (just like a car) For more information call 4980-375-8765 or visit www.HyBikes.com and you will find all of the information on the features page of our website!!!
I would call that thing an electric moped, rather than a bicycle. It must be very very heavy. Imagine carrying it up 3 flights of stairs...
Old 05-13-10, 12:32 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROJA
I would call that thing an electric moped, rather than a bicycle. It must be very very heavy. Imagine carrying it up 3 flights of stairs...
And you would call it an electric Moped because ?? I guess you could call if most anything you like but keep in mind that bikes can very greatly in design and just because this bike comes eztreamly well equiped including a lot of great safety items that doesn't make it a Moped. To me a Moped requires the rider to peddle to start the motor and the peddle gearing is extreamly low and very difficult to use for normal non-assisted riding. Nether of these things are true of this bike. Is it heave? I couldn't say but it would be one of the things to ask when talking to the supplier/manufacture. In any case considering Angie had already stated that if she did not fond a suitable ebike she would go back to riding a motor scooter. Based on that I don't think she is planning to store what ever she buys on her third floor back porch.

Bottom line Angie doesn't like the styling and personally while I like most or all the everything that is on this bike I have to agree with Angie and wish is wa styled in a more normal bike styling.
Old 05-21-10, 06:21 AM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi... I'm still looking and came up with the following info. I've looked again at all local stores and cannot find a frame small enough for me. This town is way too small for most things.
I'm not understanding why the prices of the bikes in these links are so low and I don't like "saddlebag" looking battery packs, but I was thinking: if I get one of these, can't I just ride it for a while and if not happy with the performance I could add a kit like the one at: https://www.e-bikekit.com/ ???

Currie Coastline @ $544.99 with free S&H:
https://www.toysandgamesonline.com/Currie-Technologies-EZ-CL-BR-W-CRG1004.html?cv=0

Currie eZip @ $469 (lowest price):
https://www.nextag.com/Currie-Technologies-Currie-eZip-659574037/prices-html

Northern Industrial 7-speed @$599:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381460_200381460
Old 05-21-10, 05:31 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi... I'm still looking and came up with the following info. I've looked again at all local stores and cannot find a frame small enough for me. This town is way too small for most things.
I'm not understanding why the prices of the bikes in these links are so low and I don't like "saddlebag" looking battery packs, but I was thinking: if I get one of these, can't I just ride it for a while and if not happy with the performance I could add a kit like the one at: https://www.e-bikekit.com/ ???

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381460_200381460
Sure you could and personally I think the best one is the last model for $599 because it has a lower step through and better battery. That being said though if you desided to change to the hub motor drive you would need to buy the complete kit including the hub motor, battery, throttle and controler because the Currie is a 24v system whereas, the hub kit you are looking at is 36v. But GOOD NEWS!! That Currie has the a hub motor already built into the rear wheel. So it's the same thing as the other kit with a bike built around it.....LOL The only reason I can see that you would want to change to this other hub kit is for more power or speed. So compare those 2 issues and decide if the Currie fits your needs. If so your home free......My guess is it will be fine for you but you will need more battery power so plan on it upfront. personally I wish I had gotten that bike for my wife.
Old 05-21-10, 08:33 PM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused with your response, dumbass. The last bike is not a Currie, it's a Northern Industrial. It has a 180w motor, though, that's why I'd want to change it. Where am I going to go on that? I did know I had to change everything; I'm just looking for a bike I can fit on first, then add what I'd like. It weighs a lot more than I'd like too.
Old 05-21-10, 08:57 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angie,

Looking at the owner's manual at the Northern Tool site, I'd be concerned that the battery, although Lithium, is only 24V 8AH. That won't get you far. Also, the hub motor is an underpowered 180W (probably non-geared). If you have hills, it won't perform well. The rated speed and mileage is anemic--15 MPH top speed and 15 mile range. Personally, I'd go with one of the Currie bikes.
Old 05-22-10, 06:05 PM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ann, I agree with all you said. My question was if I could buy the bike just for the frame and then get a kit with better equipment.
Old 05-22-10, 06:06 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angie,

Looking at the owner's manual at the Northern Tool site, I'd be concerned that the battery, although Lithium, is only 24V 8AH. That won't get you far. Also, the hub motor is an underpowered 180W (probably non-geared). If you have hills, it won't perform well. The rated speed and mileage is anemic--15 MPH top speed and 15 mile range. Personally, I'd go with one of the Currie bikes.
Good catch I had alread warned another battery would be needed but I totally missed the 180w motor. Currie must have rated it at 15mph down hill because 180w will never do 15mph on the flat let along up hill. Or maybe there wasn't a rider on the bike..LOL
Old 05-22-10, 10:56 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dumbass
Good catch I had alread warned another battery would be needed but I totally missed the 180w motor. Currie must have rated it at 15mph down hill because 180w will never do 15mph on the flat let along up hill. Or maybe there wasn't a rider on the bike..LOL
dumbass,

That bike isn't a Currie bike; it's a generic Chinese bike imported by Northern Tools.
Old 05-23-10, 12:50 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dumbass,

That bike isn't a Currie bike; it's a generic Chinese bike imported by Northern Tools.
Hmm, got me again I guess.........I'll have to start being more careful because I'm starting to live up to my name
Old 05-23-10, 03:08 PM
AngieM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken a look at another bike I think is good-looking. Doesn't have everything I'd like, but what bike does? Think it'd make a decent basic bike I can add things to?
I'd rather have a larger motor and don't like that you have to take the seat off to get the battery out, but is that really a big nuisance? It's a decent price:

https://www.empoweredebikes.com/pro_det.php?id=4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.