Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

time iclic

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

time iclic

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 10:13 AM
grafsk8er

Bikes: raleigh sport (thank god i got rid of it), current: cannondale systemsix w/ultegra 10, 2009 cannondale scalpel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
time iclic

i did a search and i didn't see too many posts on the iclic...has anybody recieved them and ridden them yet? they look very interesting and sound pretty promising.
Old 03-08-10, 08:41 PM
Cogsby11
Toffiest Multipiston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine were just delivered. ICLIC Carbons.

They are almost the same size as my RXS pedals, and they are actually slimmer than they look from pictures. Compared with the RXS, the front tip of the iclic is much beefier and stronger looking (the old design was too fragile), but they were as light as advertised at 234g. The cleats seem harder than the old versions though, especially the pontoons. I do not know if they will be as easy to walk indoors in. As long as they still last as long, that's fine.

The entry system is incredible - It is better than I though it would be. You put your cleat on top of the pedal, there is a distinctly audible snap, and that is it - it's locked in. Almost no pressure is required. Exiting feels exactly the same as with RXS, except the mechanism remains open (to be honest, this is less impressive than it sounds. The difference between "open" and "closed" is only about 2mm).

So far, I am extremely happy.
Old 03-08-10, 11:00 PM
grafsk8er

Bikes: raleigh sport (thank god i got rid of it), current: cannondale systemsix w/ultegra 10, 2009 cannondale scalpel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah very nice. ive been looking around for pedals. as nice as speedplay zeros are, the upkeep and maintenance just isn't for me. they are definitely a proven pedal system, but i think its time for something new.
Old 05-02-10, 02:41 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
Are the iClic cleats compatible with Time RXS pedals?

Last edited by stevesurf; 05-02-10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 04:54 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesurf
^
Are the iClic cleats compatible with Time RXS pedals?
No!
Talked to a friend yesterday about the entry mechanism, he said don't put your finger there unless you want to lose a finger nail! He said it feels the same as the RXS, but the entry is so easy. I'm itching to upgrade from the RXS, but I'll need two pairs, one for the road bike and another for the track bike.
Old 05-02-10, 08:17 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wonder if cheaper to get another pair of shoes, well all depends of the shoes you use anyways.
Old 05-02-10, 08:30 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13786 Post(s)
Liked 4,627 Times in 2,542 Posts
I just got a set of iClics. Took them on their maiden voyage this morning and they work really well. Entry is very easy, no real pressure needed to engage the pedal. No looking down required. Release tension was nice and easy.
Old 05-03-10, 03:01 AM
Orbital57

Bikes: Condor Italia + Marin Muirwoods (which got me back into riding)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought racer and carbon's for my bikes and love them. Great mechanism and they feel very sold once you're in. Definite improvement on the RXS I had and the Keo's I was using before them.

My only complaint is that the cleats don't seem to be holding up well (worse than the RXS). After walking in them a little the red surface plastic is breaking up and coming away from the main cleat body.
Old 05-03-10, 04:20 AM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Google for reviews, a few people have reported broken cleat pontoons (from walking mainly, not a riding issue). If it's true, that's a shame, because Time pedals work great in general and I would like to update my RXSs.

Orbital57, how easy do you find they are to clip into?
Old 05-04-10, 08:11 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orbital57
I bought racer and carbon's for my bikes and love them. Great mechanism and they feel very sold once you're in. Definite improvement on the RXS I had and the Keo's I was using before them.

My only complaint is that the cleats don't seem to be holding up well (worse than the RXS). After walking in them a little the red surface plastic is breaking up and coming away from the main cleat body.
That's going to be a real disappointment as I hoped they were even going to be better than cafe cleats
Originally Posted by scirocco
Google for reviews, a few people have reported broken cleat pontoons (from walking mainly, not a riding issue). If it's true, that's a shame, because Time pedals work great in general and I would like to update my RXSs.

Orbital57, how easy do you find they are to clip into?
Here's some:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=201213

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...9431&start=105

https://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16022662
I've been using the I-clics for a week. I used to use Shimano A520s and MTB shoes.

Very easy to click in and out. They really snap shut on the shoe. Getting out is as simple as my old SPDs. No problem. They are far lighter than my old pedals, especially when you add in the difference with the new shoes - SIDI Ergo 2.

However...

The cleats have a lot of wear in just a week. I'll have to wait and see how long they last, but my last shoes were easy to walk in and there was little cleat wear in a couple of years. These will never last that long.

There is a lot of float on the pedals. I had float in the old pedals which meant I could move my toes left and right as they swivel. On the I-clic you can move your whole foot. Sometimes it feels like my foot is falling down the right side of the pedal. This actually make the platform feel smaller and less stable than my old SPDs.

They also seem quite noisy. When fully clipped in they still make occaissional clicking noises, My foot stays firmly in, so I don't know what the noises are.

I'm still not used to the carbon sole/new pedal mechanism and sometimes I miss and my foot slips on the pedal leading to a few close shaves between chin and handlebar,

Overall I'm yet to be convinced either way. I'll play with the setting and see if I can tune them to my needs a little more at the weekend.
Old 05-07-10, 01:52 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
FYI the Titan Carbons are $261 here; just ordered a set; we'll see if they're reputable:

https://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/...0&FROM=froogle