Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Brooks Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 08:44 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brooks Saddles

Just wondering, what is everyone's opinion on these? For the added weight, is the comfort factor worth it? I am primarily interested in long rides, like centuries or longer.
Old 04-19-05, 08:48 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
Just wondering, what is everyone's opinion on these? For the added weight, is the comfort factor worth it? I am primarily interested in long rides, like centuries or longer.

I've got two of them and consider them one of the best purchases i have ever made. You be the judge...

https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Saddle/product_22742.shtml
Old 04-19-05, 09:55 AM
bikerski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they work for me, extra no pain time in the saddle makes up for the weight.
Old 04-19-05, 11:33 AM
Crashtest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had three:

The first one, a Team Professional, had very thick leather and never broke in for me even after 20,000 km. I gave it to a friend.

Number 2 is currently on my road bike. It is a B17 "Champion" which has the oversize brass rivets. Very comfortable, and has thinner leather than the Team Pro.

Number 3 is on my hybrid - a B17 Standard. This is the least expensive of the three, and by far the most comfortable for me. This one has the thinest leather of the three, and was broken in almost immediately.
Old 04-19-05, 11:44 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I concur with the above posters (as you will likely see fans of Brooks reply)

I rode a Brooks saddle years ago (on my Dawes... the one I still own) As a youngster, I thought it was initially cruel punishment, but got used to it... it was also THE SADDLE to use (60's-70's) on road bike.

I replaced the Selle Italia Gel XO that came stock on the FELT I bought this year (made my butt hurt) with the Brooks B5N that I had removed from the Dawes 15 years ago (replaced inexplicably with a yard sale gel knock-off..spongey thang). The Weight thing was a consideration -- seeing that I am starting with a bike under 20 pounds (of course, now I have two bottle cages, a seat pack, a small handlebar pack, two small lights, an air pump)... but comfort and efficiency win out over Xtra Grams.. Fortunately, with the saddle oiled the leather looks almost black... which looks AWESOME with my yellow bike frame. T

The Brooks (after 250+ miles over the last 3 weeks) is wonderful! Of course, it is fully broke in after the previous 3 decades of riding (the B5N is similar to the B17... narrow road/racing saddle with these perforated holes along the lower edge).

Here's an interesting article about shortening the break in period:
https://www.billbostoncycles.com/brooks_pro.htm

ultimately, I think Harder/firmer is better when it comes to saddles... and Brooks has a helluva lot of history in this area.
check out their website. Lotsa cool info, history, and specs
Old 04-19-05, 11:53 AM
H23

Bikes: bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone's saddle story is different.

I have the Brooks professional. When I got it, I had expected ass poundings during the breaking in period, but all I got was barely preceptable mild soreness on long rides.

<200 miles later, no problems at all.
Old 04-19-05, 01:57 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will get more love for Brooks then dissenters. I just bought a new bike and couldn't stand the stock a$$ hatchet that came on it therefore purchased a honey colored B17. They are great saddles and get better with miles. I have about 350 miles on mine in this early spring and it is starting to get broken in nicely. I am going the slow route and not using water as noted in the link above or Sheldon Brown's recommended approach to acclerate break-in...just Profide. Something about a natural colored Brooks on a new steel Bianchi that just looks right....have a look.
My thought is a Brooks saddle is something all touring cyclists should have among their bike collection of parts at some point.
George
Old 04-19-05, 02:19 PM
kerny
two wheeler

Bikes: daily rider...gary fisher Capitola , trek mountain trak 800 , schwinn la tour road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one for sell......$70.00....i can post pics if you want.

~kern~
Old 04-20-05, 07:37 AM
bikerski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker7
You will get more love for Brooks then dissenters. I just bought a new bike and couldn't stand the stock a$$ hatchet that came on it therefore purchased a honey colored B17. They are great saddles and get better with miles. I have about 350 miles on mine in this early spring and it is starting to get broken in nicely. I am going the slow route and not using water as noted in the link above or Sheldon Brown's recommended approach to acclerate break-in...just Profide. Something about a natural colored Brooks on a new steel Bianchi that just looks right....have a look.
My thought is a Brooks saddle is something all touring cyclists should have among their bike collection of parts at some point.
George
I like your style/set up. seat is a bit higher than handlebars, not so much as to be uncomfortable. You can stay in the drops longer just motoring along. Your handlebar tops are flatter, not sloped forward, so you can rest your palms there and not get hands driven into the brake hoods. Seat is comfortable a brooks! My seat to handlebar drop is a bit more, handlebar tops are flatter like yours and I have a dark colored brooks on a trek 5200.
Old 04-20-05, 07:46 AM
ewitz
Banned.

Bikes: specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will then take on the role of dissenter. Find a lightweight high tech modern saddle that fits you properly and it will be every bit as comfortable with the added benefit of weighing less than a boat anchor. I would recommend the Selle Italia SLR or the Fizik Aliante as two very different but comfortable saddles to try. I personally love the SLR and can spend as many hours on this saddle as my legs can spin with no discomfort.
Old 04-20-05, 07:46 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you bikerskii. The younger guys on here will prefer a more aggressive set up.
Have really enjoyed the bike and getting it set up to how I like it.
Your Trek 5200 is a wonderful bike!
Cheers,
George
Old 04-20-05, 07:54 AM
Barnaby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a '79 trip Canada to Mexico I bought a team pro. This is the thickest leather saddle from Brooks today, and I believe they may have been even thicker and harder back then. The now have a pre-softened embossing on the top that they did not have back then. My companion used an Avocet saddle. After about thee days, he wanted to ride on his sandwiches, and I was starting to get along alright with the Brooks. For any distance riding I would go with Brooks again. I would as well be very careful with saddle treatments. My one year old Team Pro has had nothing on it at all, and has modified to my form already. I would use Proofhide or nothing.
Old 04-20-05, 08:27 AM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second that. People do all sorts of things to try and condition a Brooks. What they typically do is ruin it. Slap some proof hide on her from time to time and ride, ride, ride. Soon it will fit like a glove and be comfy.

Also it is a good idea to take the wrench that comes with it for tensioning and loose it. Many a Brooks has been screwed up by people over tensioning their saddle. Brooks recommends 1/4 of a turn per year. I have had mine for nearly two and have thousands of miles on them. They exhibit no symptoms of needing tensioned.
Old 04-20-05, 09:12 AM
hubs
@#$% cars

Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashtest
I've had three:

The first one, a Team Professional, had very thick leather and never broke in for me even after 20,000 km. I gave it to a friend.

Number 2 is currently on my road bike. It is a B17 "Champion" which has the oversize brass rivets. Very comfortable, and has thinner leather than the Team Pro.

Number 3 is on my hybrid - a B17 Standard. This is the least expensive of the three, and by far the most comfortable for me. This one has the thinest leather of the three, and was broken in almost immediately.
My experience is exactly the opposite. First I got a B17 standard ... I still ride it on my commuter, errand, ride w/ kids bike, but it is soft and the widest of the three (I only did a few proofhide treatments). Second, a B17 champion (on our tandem) is really nice ... stiffer. Third, perfect straight out of the box, a Team Pro ... ready for road rides! I'd only buy the profs in the future!

Good luck! Everyone has personal preferences, but a huge number of riders find a comfy ride with a Brooks!
Old 04-20-05, 09:20 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm...one level of ambiguity pertains to the different names of Brook's saddles. My brand new Brooks saddle with smaller stainless rivets and black rails..which I prefer for aesthetics...is called a Brooks "Champion Standard" B.17.
Which is it?...lol...any Brooks aficionados in the hause?
George
Old 04-20-05, 09:25 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
That is a stock Brooks B17, there is a model which is slightly thicker leather called a "champion special" has copper rivets, copper rails and a nicer nameplate on back..

I have 2 - B17's and 1-B17 Champion special.. The B17 - standard are easy to break in and the champion special is still breaking in, it is a noticeable difference..
Old 04-20-05, 09:28 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks bro.
George
Old 04-20-05, 09:34 AM
petermi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a B17 on my single speed and a B67 on my commuter. They are both things of beauty and they get more comfotable every month. I consider them to be one of the best investments to make your cycling a joy rather than a chore.
Old 04-20-05, 09:39 AM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by socalrider
That is a stock Brooks B17, there is a model which is slightly thicker leather called a "champion special" has copper rivets, copper rails and a nicer nameplate on back..

I have 2 - B17's and 1-B17 Champion special.. The B17 - standard are easy to break in and the champion special is still breaking in, it is a noticeable difference..
Both of my standard B-17's have copper rivets although they are small.
Old 04-20-05, 09:46 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The champion specials have larger copper rivets and of course they cost more than the stock B17..
Old 04-20-05, 09:57 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Team Pros here.

The black one on my road bike (Fuji Roubaix Pro) is one of the pre-softened saddles. My wife bought it for me for Christmas 2003 from Persons Majestic, and they were out of stock of the regular ones so upgraded it for free. I have a regular Team Pro on my commuter / light tourer (Surly Cross-Check) in British Racing Green. Love that colour!

Both were very comfortable out of the box. The regular one took a few more rides to break in than the pre-softened, but both were great within 100 miles. Personally, I wouldn't buy the pre-softened one again, mainly because I prefer the smooth look of the regular saddle without the indented 'Pre-Softened' label.

I've tried a few saddles, and for longer rides I haven't found anything nearing the comfort of a Brooks. Fizik Arione and Alliante seem to get good comfort reviews though... maybe I'll give one of those a go one day soon. For my Surly, a little bit of extra saddle weight is insignificant when I'm on it (225 lbs) and it's loaded with a full pair of panniers. On the roadie, maybe the weight is felt a little bit more, but I really don't see it being that big of a deal.