Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cigars

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 01:12 PM
joeya28
There's no "I" in "win"

Bikes: 2008 CAAD9 R6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
'you sound like a jerk' is a bull**** pc way of calling someone a jerk

i was only responding to what's posted in the thread. someone said that smokeless tobacco doesn't cause cancer. someone called not smoking an extreme point of view. someone mentioned fast food. I didn't make this stuff up. pointing out that it's a cycling forum and many people avoid all these bad behaviors isn't elitism....it's just common sense.
I wasnt really speaking to your charcter just that one post, but I guess we were referring to different postings. From the posting you just referred to I cant really argue with you.
Old 05-19-10, 01:12 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joeya28
what does that have to do with having a conversation with him on this thread? I shouldn't speak my mind because i might have to see him in person?
... deleted ...

Last edited by umd; 05-19-10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-19-10, 01:14 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I don't really believe that, so please disassociate me from it.
Old 05-19-10, 01:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I wasnt really speaking to your charcter just that one post, but I guess we were referring to different postings. From the posting you just referred to I cant really argue with you.
fair enough
Old 05-19-10, 01:15 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't really believe that, so please disassociate me from it.
ok. I didn't mean that you are being elitist, because I don't believe that is true. The point that I was trying to make was that your performance speaks for itself.
Old 05-19-10, 01:16 PM
joeya28
There's no "I" in "win"

Bikes: 2008 CAAD9 R6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS
smoking is a dirty habit and in the words of Andrew "Dice" Clay "so is wiping my ass but I don't see anyone banning that!"

Enjoy the cigars. Where in NY are you located? If your in the city we should meet up at Cigar Inn and smoke one together, then take a speedy ride through central park and post a video on here.

Yes, this is a cycling forum but last I checked maybe 1% of you are bonafide legit professional cyclists so come down off your high horses please!!! We are all going to die from something someday and the things that I see people do with food is just as bad if not worse than someone with a 3 cigar per month habit. Hell, the air we breathe in NYC is probably worse!

I'm originally from Orange County, I'm a student @ Baruch College in NYC so during the academic year I'm on the upper east side. I'd love to meet up in September and take a ride! I see you play golf. where do you play?
Old 05-19-10, 01:19 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by umd
ok. I didn't mean that you are being elitist, because I don't believe that is true. The point that I was trying to make was that your performance speaks for itself.
aww shucks
Old 05-19-10, 01:26 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
Yep, that sounds more appealing to me each day except that we end up having to support them in one way or another.
Yes, but "we" end up having to support healthy people who live to be 100, too. (Medicare, Social Security). In fact, I think society is money ahead when a smoker dies relatively young. (Not that early death is a good thing.)
Old 05-19-10, 01:30 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm originally from Orange County, I'm a student @ Baruch College in NYC so during the academic year I'm on the upper east side. I'd love to meet up in September and take a ride! I see you play golf. where do you play?
I play at pelham/split rock in pelham bay park. UES has Cigar Inn on 71st and 1st and they have a newer place that is 3 times the size and a full scale hangout with multiple flat screens down on 53rd and 2nd. I also order my smokes online from Cigars international which is located in PA so they get here quick and stay nice and fresh. I run hot and cold with my smoking. When I buy online I typically buy about 50 smokes and then I definately have a couple a week sometimes more because of how much golf I play.

All this talk, I'm gonna jump on my bike and go get a smoke before work! (and for the do gooders work is teaching a bootcamp class in central park, I guess a cigar while I bark out instructions works just fine!
Old 05-19-10, 02:06 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
"so is wiping my ass but I don't see anyone banning that!"
I always thought it was a standard hygienic practice not a habit comparable to smoking.

Yes, this is a cycling forum but last I checked maybe 1% of you are bonafide legit professional cyclists so come down off your high horses please!!!
Minimizing the things people voluntarily consume to avoid the risk of cancer is considered being on a high horse?

We are all going to die from something someday and the things that I see people do with food is just as bad if not worse than someone with a 3 cigar per month habit.
Now that isn't a very compelling argument, that being the case let me eat a few Big Macs and snort some blow.

Moderation is key in the things we enjoy but our desires should always be measured against their effects against our long term health, especially habits since they can continually affect our health.
Old 05-19-10, 02:25 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I always thought it was a standard hygienic practice not a habit comparable to smoking.

Minimizing the things people voluntarily consume to avoid the risk of cancer is considered being on a high horse?

Now that isn't a very compelling argument, that being the case let me eat a few Big Macs and snort some blow.

Moderation is key in the things we enjoy but our desires should always be measured against their effects against our long term health, especially habits since they can continually affect our health.
Obviously not all of the anti smokers were on a high horse but some people were coming off acting as if this is a guy talking about a full blown crack habit and it's just not so. people who sit by a campfire also inhale smoke, are we telling them not to do that? Some of the responses here were pretty wild.

I can also name numerous athletes in various sports that have engaged in some very unhealthy behavior and still held elite status in their sport so the performance argument isn't necessarily the stronges argument against smoking.

My point is that there are 168 hours in a week and this guy is spending 45 minutes a week smoking a cigar. there are worse things he could be doing.
Old 05-19-10, 02:50 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't Phelps get caught on camera smoking the weeeeed?
I think he's probably still in pretty good shape.
Cigars are legal, last time I checked (for the record I think weed should be for medicinal use).
I am a highly educated adult capable of making my own life choices, last time I checked.
I ride a bike more than anyone I know personally, last time I checked.
I enjoy an occasional cigar, drink, and the company of a kind woman, last time I checked.
Maybe tonight I'll ride to my fav bar, have a drink and a cigar on the patio and strike up a conversation with a nice lady just to be sure.
But what I won't to tonight is stand on the corner wearing a "thou shalt not" sign and point to everyone and scream like a scene out of 'The Body Snatchers'

Enjoy
Old 05-19-10, 02:56 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

And again, the responses that got the kind of reactions you're talking of were the ones that said things like "you're not pro so you should enjoy a smoke now and then." I don't really care what any of you do. But don't post in an athletic forum and expect folks to agree it's not a health risk, and don't posit people in a cycling forum as having a stick up their ass because they don't smoke once in a while. As far as there being 'worst things one could do with their time" I can't seem to follow the logic in here so I can't guess what's on that list and can only say I'm able to avoid more than one vice simultaneously while enjoying the living crap out of my life, family, dog and winning a lot of races along the way. There may be more to life than cycling but each one of those things on my list is made better by not smoking.
Old 05-19-10, 03:14 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powers2b
I enjoy an occasional cigar, drink, and the company of a kind woman,
Enjoy
Try the unkind ones, they are even better!
Old 05-19-10, 03:17 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And again, the responses that got the kind of reactions you're talking of were the ones that said things like "you're not pro so you should enjoy a smoke now and then." I don't really care what any of you do. But don't post in an athletic forum and expect folks to agree it's not a health risk, and don't posit people in a cycling forum as having a stick up their ass because they don't smoke once in a while. As far as there being 'worst things one could do with their time" I can't seem to follow the logic in here so I can't guess what's on that list and can only say I'm able to avoid more than one vice simultaneously while enjoying the living crap out of my life, family, dog and winning a lot of races along the way. There may be more to life than cycling but each one of those things on my list is made better by not smoking.
i understand that this is an athletic forum but his question was along the lines of "just how bad is 3 cigars a month for the cardiovascular system" and quite frankly, its not that bad and its not going to decrease performance in my experience. I smoke cigars and started cycling in february and my cycling continues to get better and better and for the record I'm a personal trainer so it's not like I wasn't in good shape already when I started cycling. The only real respectable answer from the anti smoking gurus in this thread was the gentleman who said in his personal experience his pipe smoking had detracted from his training.
Old 05-19-10, 03:27 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,183 Times in 3,715 Posts
I smoked for forty-three years. Yes, 43. Hell, I used to smoke while cycling (those ashes blowing in my eyes were annoying as the dickens).

Quit 5 years ago and like an earlier poster said, getting that monkey off my back was one of my greatest achievements in life.

Nonetheless, when my cousin comes over 2 or 3 times a year and offers me a cigar, I light up with him. That ain't gonna kill me. It's called moderation.
Old 05-19-10, 03:30 PM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
i can't believe this clusterfcuk of a thread is still going on. good job.
Old 05-19-10, 03:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Yes, this is a cycling forum but last I checked maybe .00001% of you are bonafide legit professional cyclists so come down off your high horses please!!!
Fixed that for ya.

Might be my new signature.
Old 05-19-10, 03:40 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I'm still not particularly clear on how that's relevant to a working knowledge of cycling or general health and fitness. I can promise you also that not too many smokers are winning amateur races.
Old 05-19-10, 03:44 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm still not particularly clear on how that's relevant to a working knowledge of cycling or general health and fitness. I can promise you also that not too many smokers are winning amateur races.
Just to cloud the waters, I saw a collegiate rider in the 3s a few years ago light up a cigarette, take some puffs, then put it out on his top tube. He proceeded to nearly lap the field before dropping back to help his teammate. He didn't really smoke, it was just an intimidation tactic.
Old 05-19-10, 04:10 PM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
ok Billy, time to stop defending your questionable patch of grass, and be professional.

shut down this POS thread. thanks.
Old 05-19-10, 04:33 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
For example?
It's a prop and a ritual.
Old 05-19-10, 04:57 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,813 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Yep. Lets not forget to some its a show of rebellion or of adulthood.

Really, I just see it as something to do with your hands when you can't think of anything else to do with them. My father smokes cigars and when I used to sit with him on the porch talking to him he would offer me one and I would accept. I don't smoke them anymore because I really gained no value from the cigar. When I hang with him now I have a glass of water, coffee or beer in my hands.
Old 05-19-10, 05:05 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Wut?? The majority discussion is about the detrimental effects of smoking, even occasional smoking, on one's biking performance. How much more OT (ON-Topic) can you get??

You know me, I only shut down the rowdy and off-topic threads. This is neither.
Old 05-19-10, 05:15 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Originally Posted by RJM
Yep. Lets not forget to some its a show of rebellion or of adulthood.
Originally Posted by RJM
Really, I just see it as something to do with your hands when you can't think of anything else to do with them.
All lame reasons IMO.

I remain unconvinced.

Originally Posted by RJM
I don't smoke them anymore because I really gained no value from the cigar.
And that's the heart of my question. What value is there in smoking other than the delivery of an addictive, mind-altering drug?

Edit: not that there is necessarily anything wrong with addictive mind-altering drugs, as long as we recognize it for what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.