Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Vino still with chances?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Vino still with chances?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 02:40 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Vino still with chances?

DO you guys think vino and cadel have some chances now that the mountain stages are starting i believe tomorrow?
Old 05-21-10, 03:05 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything's possible, eh?
Old 05-21-10, 03:20 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course Vino has chance. Anyone who wears a jersey like this always has chance.

Team-Vino-2009-1i..jpg
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 05-21-10, 03:39 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah! Vino is known for making some breakaways. He can be real good but he can also lose time so it's aleast 50/50. Plus Sasstre (spelling?) really sucked on one of the previous stages with a short gentle climb. Shocked that he lost time on that stage!

Cadel's best bet would bet to punch his main competitors in the nose! That dude is crazy!
Old 05-21-10, 03:46 PM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
DO you guys think vino and cadel have some chances now that the mountain stages are starting i believe tomorrow?
yes. duh.
Old 05-21-10, 04:07 PM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vino will not win. Can't climb the steep ones. He will keep it interesting though.
Old 05-21-10, 04:18 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in my book, vino and tondo are the favorites to win the overall as of today.
Old 05-21-10, 06:59 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sastre (tailor in english) as a racer is not that good and i bet he will lose time tomorrow, cadel and vino teams need to to prepare something together or both will go down big time. It is amazing how cadel is still running practically by himself no matter in which team he is, and at this point wonder if it has something to do with his temper. Vino can't do much also wit h the team he has... Vino was in my book as a winner also...
Old 05-21-10, 07:25 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,191 Times in 698 Posts
Sastre (tailor in english) as a racer is not that good and i bet he will lose time tomorrow, cadel and vino teams need to to prepare something together or both will go down big time. It is amazing how cadel is still running practically by himself no matter in which team he is, and at this point wonder if it has something to do with his temper. Vino can't do much also wit h the team he has... Vino was in my book as a winner also...
Vino's team is pretty much reduced to Grivko now. Maybe he and Evans should work together.
Old 05-21-10, 07:44 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think Evans temper has anything to do with it. The race has been long, hard, and chaotic. Bad weather, bad roads, bad crashes. Columbia has had trouble controlling sprints. None of the teams have do much of a job controlling attacks or the peloton. Cadel and Vino have to pretty stay near the front of the peloton and go with breakaways. Their teams are depleted and can't reel anyone in. But most of the teams are in that position. The Liquigas boys seem to be the best suited team for the rest of the race. The big mountains are coming. The GC is going to go topsy turvy again. If Vino or Cadel pull this out it will be seriously impressive.
Old 05-21-10, 08:05 PM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't have much hope for Vino or Cadel to win now. But both of them have showed some major form this spring between their classics wins and this Giro. Both should be a lot more formidable later this year when they have their full team supporting them later this year. Though obviously that's less likely for Vino because of Contador. But Cadel should benefit by having guys like Hincapie with him.
Old 05-21-10, 08:25 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I doubt contador (accountant in english) will do something this year, last race he basically dropped because of allergies? Nobody knew he had allergies before... I believe the kid was at 100% and is going down big time, and now is time for vino to pull up something because he is going up. Coming back to the giro, vino and cadel together need to basically do the "cancellara" in at least 2 stages and drop everybody from their wheels. Liquigas wont let them go and the only way is to do a "Cancellara". Sastre doesnt have legs and the italians arent that good as years before.
Old 05-21-10, 08:48 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
But Cadel should benefit by having guys like Hincapie with him.
Can't wait for the Tour!
Old 05-22-10, 07:56 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1st day watching the giro on line and darn vino and cadel are not attaching at all, the good thing is that they will get like 1 minute off the leader.
Old 05-22-10, 08:06 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^
I think at the end of the stage Evans, Vino, Basso will get to the finish together.

eta: or maybe not, 30 seconds is quite a bit to catch up, I thought he was closer.
Old 05-22-10, 09:45 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
I don't think Evans temper has anything to do with it. The race has been long, hard, and chaotic. Bad weather, bad roads, bad crashes.
From the very first day of the race, the commentators have mentioned that Cadel has had big problems finding a team that suits him because of personality conflict. He has finally found a team that has been somewaht good for him but it's a new team with a pretty much all new young inexperienced riders unable to support Cadel, his team was shot before thee start of the race. So it's not the course or the race, it's the fact that others don't want to ride with him other than a bunch of newbs that need the opportunity.
Old 05-23-10, 07:59 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cadel fought a lot today, vino also. Lets see what happens because all of the guys now can climb and can TT big time. Even will win the TT or Vino, taking bets.
Old 05-23-10, 08:04 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I doubt contador (accountant in english) will do something this year, last race he basically dropped because of allergies? Nobody knew he had allergies before... ..

He's been affected by allergies in spring races in years past. He was struggling with them two years ago when he won the Giro.

Here's from a VeloNews interview with Antonio Colom last year:

and the link

VN: Do you continue with the treatments?

TC: I still take the vaccinations and I will be for the rest of my life. Throughout the entire year
I have to take pills, a vaccination once a month, and, if I have a crisis, I have a spray. It’s not
to be able to breath better; it’s simply to be able to breath. When I look back, I wonder, how
did I race before? I would just die. The sport directors always thought I was crazy because
every time it rains or it’s cold, I’d happy. Why? Because, for the first part, half of the riders in
the peloton don’t like rain. But for me, it was because I could breath like a normal person and
– boom! – I could go. Last year at the Giro, Contador is like me, very allergic, and every night
we were at the TV, watching the weather with rain, we were like, yes! Rain!

Last edited by USAZorro; 05-23-10 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 09:09 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cadel fought a lot today, vino also. Lets see what happens because all of the guys now can climb and can TT big time. Even will win the TT or Vino, taking bets.
Cool stage today! My hat's off to Basso, with a threat of another team captain, he doesn't sweat it or start bigtime drama, just lets the bike do the talking!

Tuesday's uphill TT ought to be good!
Old 05-23-10, 09:26 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One of the best stages ever... TOC final stage was not bad, the only problem is that Radio schack planned the trick too late, i noticed they wanted to do the same thing they did with LA years ago... popo waiting for Levi... then nothing happened. Between levi and zabriskie could have kill rogers, the problem is that none of them didnt want to lose the race, makes sense anyways. Even if they could have attached before horner could have had some better chance... Well is better say it that do it anyways... great race also but it needed more attaches in my opinion.
Old 05-24-10, 06:50 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

... Even if they could have attached before horner could have had some better chance... Well is better say it that do it anyways... great race also but it needed more attaches in my opinion.
attached? attaches? Should we presume you mean attack?

Vino's riding the Giro, btw...
Old 05-24-10, 09:31 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
True, wrong word choice... english makes non sense sometimes
Old 05-28-10, 10:08 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Today was a good stage. Well as exciting as can get for a race! Lots of suffering and some suspense!
Old 05-28-10, 10:16 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Today was a good stage. Well as exciting as can get for a race! Lots of suffering and some suspense!
The whole damn Giro has been nothing short of epic.
Old 05-28-10, 10:32 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome stage today. I don't want to answer this thread based on today. Watch and your answer will be obvious. I will say that given the 15K' of climbing, the GC contenders left it all on the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.