Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

good bibs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 11:34 PM
Anti404

Bikes: 2015 Scott Solace 30, 2007 CAAD9 Optimo 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good bibs?

hi all, in the past year I have put on a lot of weight, and as such my cycling bibs are no longer fitting very well., and I need some larger ones to wear until I can lose some of the weight and wear my older ones.
the problem I have is twofold:
a. most of my weight gain has been deposited in the hips/chest, and as such my hips/chest are abnormally large in comparison to my waist.(as a guy it is uncommon to gain weight in this manner, but I did. =[)
b. I want to make sure that any bibs I buy have straps that actually rest atop my chest/nipples, rather than sliding to the side.

I would prefer to not spend a huge amount of money, as my cash supply is somewhat limited.
any help that can be provided is much appreciated, thanks all!
Old 05-22-10, 08:17 AM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, you don't mention your weight (and I'm not asking...), but I can recommend Performance Ultra bibs. They've got a great chamois, the straps are comfortable, and they're durable. I crashed in a pair of these a couple of weeks ago, and the shorts didn't rip/tear, which helped minimize the road rash on my hip.

As far as sizing, they go up to an XXL, which fits me great (I've got a 44" waist).

Other good news...they're 50% off this weekend and they're $45 instead of $90.

Charles
Old 05-22-10, 09:21 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still love my Falconi Deluxe bibs from Love2Pedal.com. With their 2 for $64 special, I can afford to have a week's worth of bibs hanging in the closet.
Old 05-22-10, 09:57 AM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh, I'm 6ft.1in. and 209lbs, but the problem isn't so much my weight, but that it is deposited in my hips rather than my waist(apple vs. pear shape); for some reason, I always have a strangely "hour glass" figure as a guy, even when I weighed about 170lbs. o.O
so the problem isn't so much a sizing thing but a SPECIFIC sizing thing, with emphasis being placed on this hips.

but I'll look at those two suggestions, thanks!

EDIT: I just took some quick self-measurements, and they were:
height: 6ft1in
weight: 207lbs
chest: 37in
waist: 34in
hips: 42in!

these were all self-taken using a wall and tape measurer, but they seem fairly accurate, at least proportionally, and as you can see my hips are waaaaayyyy larger than the rest.

Last edited by Anti404; 05-22-10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 09:19 AM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not really sure if it is acceptable to do so, but I want to bump this up so that I can hopefully get some more opinions(also, does anyone have any opinions on the previous two bibs posted?); I currently have a size Large kit from Velowear, and the jersey is wayy tight, but the bibs are also a little snug around the hips and the upper thighs.
Old 05-23-10, 09:36 AM
jasonball
Auburn Fan

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new to the sport. but why do people where bibs over just shorts
Old 05-23-10, 12:27 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anti404
I currently have a size Large kit from Velowear, and the jersey is wayy tight, but the bibs are also a little snug around the hips and the upper thighs.
Bibs should be snug! You don't want them cutting off blood flow or restricting your range-of-motion, obviously, but you also don't want them moving around a whole lot...

Originally Posted by jasonball
Bibs are generally considered to be more comfortable than standard lycra shorts. Plus, you don't have to worry about plumber's crack. And they generally provide a bit of support above the waist, so you'll look thinner!
Old 05-23-10, 02:17 PM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonball
In addition to not sliding down in the back, bibs don't have a string to tie, and they don't rely on a tight elastic drawstring to keep them up.

It's likely that you'll either love 'em or hate 'em...but they're worth trying.
Old 05-23-10, 03:06 PM
Anti404

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Bibs should be snug! You don't want them cutting off blood flow or restricting your range-of-motion, obviously, but you also don't want them moving around a whole lot...

Bibs are generally considered to be more comfortable than standard lycra shorts. Plus, you don't have to worry about plumber's crack. And they generally provide a bit of support above the waist, so you'll look thinner!
nono, you misunderstand; these bibs were maybe just a little loose when I used to wear them, but are now quite stretched in appearance and feel, especially around the hips and legs.
these are Velowear brand products, by the way.
Old 05-23-10, 03:42 PM
obiwan kenobi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just spend the money on a pair of Sugoi, they are well worth the price of admission, comfort and long lasting.
Old 05-23-10, 04:51 PM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried any others but I'm pleased with the value (quality and price) of the Performance Bike bibs - both Ultra and Elite.