Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Base Layers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Base Layers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-10, 06:50 PM
sqharaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Base Layers

So, what's the deal with base layers? Do you guys use them? If so, why? Is me not using them a noob mistake similar to me wearing whitie tighties under my cycling shorts for the first 2 months of riding?
Old 05-29-10, 06:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
So, what's the deal with base layers? Do you guys use them? If so, why? Is me not using them a noob mistake similar to me wearing whitie tighties under my cycling shorts for the first 2 months of riding?

So what's the deal with jumbo shrimp?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-29-10, 06:52 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Liked 114 Times in 45 Posts
i often wear a base layer, but i would hardly say they are required gear.

in hot weather they can be nice, but definitely not in humid conditions. there are a few cycle specific base layers that are very good, i like the craft ones myself.
Old 05-29-10, 06:56 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like base layers when the temperature is over 80 degrees. There is absolutely no way I stay cooler by wearing one under a jersey. I can only speak for myself though so, your mileage may vary. I will say that, if bib straps bother you then wear a thin open mesh base layer. I think Craft sells one. And wear a very lightweight full zip jersey.
Old 05-29-10, 06:57 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
personal preference. i always do.
Old 05-29-10, 06:58 PM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always wear base layers. Helps evaporate sweat to cool when hot and insulates when conditions are colder. Also, feels nicer to me than having the jersey against my torso.
Old 05-29-10, 07:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
The only time I don't wear a base layer is when I cycle in Hawaii in the summer.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-29-10, 07:50 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
I don't like base layers when the temperature is over 80 degrees. There is absolutely no way I stay cooler by wearing one under a jersey.
Just to clarify, the effectiveness of base layers has more to do with the humidity than the termperature. Here it is a dry heat, and I always wear a base layer, even in 100+ weather. It seems on the east coast it tends to me more humid.

Also, base layers are useful for protection in a crash.
Old 05-29-10, 08:00 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here in New England it gets pretty humid in the summer, on those really hot humid days the baselayer seems to hold the moisture making them uselss for me.
I think a baselayer would help you if riding in Colorado.
Old 05-29-10, 08:09 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't wear a base layer in the summer, but only in the winter.

I wear one in the winter to keep warm and wick sweat away. I only have a long sleeve base layer I bought from Target, and it works fine in the winter down to 35*F.

Anyways the point of a base layer is to wick sweat away and keep you dry (I think). I feel like the wind along with a tighter fitting jersey is enough to keep me dry.
Old 05-29-10, 08:47 PM
BarryJo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Winter baselayers are a necessity, especially up north.
Nothing as fine as a wool base with sever layers over it.
A summer baselayer will help keep you cool in warmer, dryer climates.
Old 05-29-10, 08:55 PM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Nice question to ask 3 days from June!
Old 05-29-10, 08:56 PM
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only tried one baselayer - Craft ProZero Extreme I think it was. Wore it for a week on rides, and it didn't really work for me. Returned it.
Old 05-29-10, 09:11 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acaurora
I've only tried one baselayer - Craft ProZero Extreme I think it was. Wore it for a week on rides, and it didn't really work for me. Returned it.
If you were wearing that in warm weather, you picked the wrong one.
Old 05-29-10, 09:13 PM
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wearing it in 40F weather... didn't make me feel any different than without it
Old 05-30-10, 04:16 AM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
Here in New England it gets pretty humid in the summer, on those really hot humid days the baselayer seems to hold the moisture making them uselss for me.
I think a baselayer would help you if riding in Colorado.
get a better base layer.
Old 05-30-10, 06:49 AM
curtwally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I like base layers in most conditions from cold, cool, to hot. The Descente mesh is a really nice product.
Old 05-30-10, 12:48 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
on cold days, the base layer takes the moisture away from my skin.

i only just got a base layer this year and i've only worn it 3 times. before that i wore layers of t-shirts to keep warm and i used to get totally drenched in sweat and then freeze.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-30-10, 12:52 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Can't beat an effective winter base layer when it's cold out.. Quite often they will allow you to not need wear a winter jacket and not have to carry the bulk..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-30-10, 01:22 PM
Joe Road
rode home

Bikes: Bianchi Champione road bike (Italian Steel), Litespeed MTB (Ti), AMP B4 full suspension MTB (alum), Yugoslobberin' Folding Bike (heavy steel)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of riders don't like base layers, except in severe cold. Guess you just have to try some out and see how they work for you.

I use base layers year round. In the fall, winter and spring, I wear rapha wool base layers. Very comfortable from 50 to 80 degrees. On the coldest days of winter, ICEBREAKER wool base layers do a great job keeping me warm. When it's hot and humid in my area, the Castelli mesh base layer keeps me pretty comfortable. Does a good job of wicking moisture and prevents the sticky jersey syndrome.
Old 05-30-10, 01:35 PM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Road
A lot of riders don't like base layers, except in severe cold. Guess you just have to try some out and see how they work for you.

I use base layers year round. In the fall, winter and spring, I wear rapha wool base layers. Very comfortable from 50 to 80 degrees. On the coldest days of winter, ICEBREAKER wool base layers do a great job keeping me warm. When it's hot and humid in my area, the Castelli mesh base layer keeps me pretty comfortable. Does a good job of wicking moisture and prevents the sticky jersey syndrome.
"a lot of riders" don't have a clue.
Old 05-30-10, 04:04 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
i often wear a base layer, but i would hardly say they are required gear.

in hot weather they can be nice, but definitely not in humid conditions. there are a few cycle specific base layers that are very good, i like the craft ones myself.
+1

The base layer improves ventilation and drying, wicking moisture away from and cooling the body. I always thought the more arid areas of Western US would be the choice for base layers. Certainly not Florida and other hot and humid areas.

Layering to stay warm is another issue.
Old 05-30-10, 05:22 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 74 Times in 19 Posts
My common sense tells me more insulation means slower dispersion of heat. Therefore, when it's warm, I open the zipper on my jersey to help me stay cooler and more comfortable, rather than wear a base layer.

Googling around to see if anything academic exists on the subject , I found an abstract for this paper: "Physiological and comfort effects of commercial “wicking” clothing under a bulletproof vest."

Subjects wore bulletproof vests and exercised for a couple of hours. Underneath, they wore a high tech shirt that wicked away moisture, or they wore a t-shirt. Temperature differences on various parts of the body were measured.

Money quote: "Results suggest that EC [Under Armour] offers no advantage in cooling the wearer over CT [a cotten t-shirt]. So much for wicking away moisture.

Interestingly, "trends were observed with EC being perceived as being more comfortable," although there was no evidence to suggest this was anything other than a subjective feeling.

Admittedly, if cyclists think they are more comfortable in a base layer, I suppose they are, but I don't think the evidence bears out a measureable physiological advantage.

However, if a base layer could truly make one cooler in warm weather, then why not a second "baser" layer, and a third "basest" layer?

What about sleeping bags when it's warm at night? Do we add a base layer to stay comfortable/cool? No, we just unzip some or all of the bag, to reduce, rather than increase, the amount of insulation.

While I'm willing to stand corrected, I'd like to see something that is more than just conjecture based on subjective experience.
Old 05-30-10, 07:22 PM
BarryJo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No offense, I'm impressed you were able to dig up a study on this.
But I'd trust other cyclist opinions bfore an acacemic study on baselayers.
I'm going to try something a little better than the Dick's $10 wicking tee.
Besidfes, aren't there better uses of reseach $$$, like trying to figure out how to stop an oil gusher a mile under the sea.
Or something like that?
Old 05-30-10, 08:08 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
Money quote: "Results suggest that EC [Under Armour] offers no advantage in cooling the wearer over CT [a cotten t-shirt]. So much for wicking away moisture.

Interestingly, "trends were observed with EC being perceived as being more comfortable," although there was no evidence to suggest this was anything other than a subjective feeling.
The problem is that the primary purpose isn't temperature control so much as it is to take the moisture away so that you are not sitting in it. Less moisture on the skin = more confortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.