Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Utility tire puncture proofing

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Utility tire puncture proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 12:35 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Utility tire puncture proofing

I want to hear from people that are bothered by tire punctures in bad weather bad enough that they are not afraid of racer doctrine like “it’s too hard to steer” and “it will slow me down 20mph” just by using a few extra ounces of rubber in their tires. I will admit to riding slow.

I have 6 tires on my bike so when the front tire gashed open I didn’t even slow down. I didn’t even feel the slight bump until I crossed a smooth stretch of pavement.

See photos here https://commutercycling.blogspot.com/...rs-expose.html

I want some one to try this and let us know how excellent it is. Not how bad it is.
You could even test it on broken glass if you have a used tire.

Last edited by jawnn; 06-16-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-10-10, 07:23 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have not tried that but do run Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on the bikes I am most concerned about flats on, my Big Dummy and Swobo Dixon. I also have Schwalbe Stelvio Plus tires on my IGH drop bar road bike and Panaracer Ribmo Protex tires on another narrow tire 700C bike.

All are quite resistant to most broken glass and other common road hazards though I try to avoid glass when I notice it in time. Where I live goatheads are one big summer tire hazard.

I am not so paranoid about punctures that I see any need to run 6 laters of tire on a rim, in fact I would think that with most tires and rims that would leave no room for a tube. I do carry a spare tube, patch kit, tire levers and a good pump on all my bikes.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/

Last edited by tatfiend; 04-11-10 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 04-11-10, 04:41 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks OK,How would you cut a suitable tyre?Would the edges need smoothing?.I have seen marks on an innertube fron the edge of a liner.
Old 04-11-10, 11:59 PM
purplepeople
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've never needed to do this myself, but I've seen a tire with a tire tread between the tube and it's inner surface. The guy literally cut just the tread portion from an old tire. He said it worked great against all the little puncture thorns where he lived and had it on his full suspension recumbent.

:)ensen.
Old 04-12-10, 12:26 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation give me positive feed back!

So now you’re saying that I am paranoid? The denial of this concept is incredible! And I didn't say 6 layers on one tire.... actually one extra tire works good.

I really do not want to hear any more excuses about how this is a bad idea! I want to hear some POSITIVE feed back!

Do you run your tires until they are nearly worn out? I do, and that’s when they really need an extra tire. As you can see in the photo there was still tread left when it opened up for no apparent reason.

Originally Posted by tatfiend
I am not so paranoid about punctures that I see any need to run 6 laters of tire on a rim.

Last edited by jawnn; 06-14-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 02:49 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it works for you, fine. I would expect high weight and rolling resistance. Any positive feedback would require someone else to duplicate your setup and use it for long enough to determine for themselves how puncture proof it is and if the tradeoffs are acceptable to him/her. I do not have enough old tires to cut up to even try it and expect few others will either.

The same is true for airless bike tires. Some who have tried them find them satisfactory while many others have not found the tradeoffs for complete puncture proofing to be acceptable.

Please do not expect a pat on the back for having come up with what I would expect to be the heaviest possible pneumatic bike tire, no matter how puncture proof.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 04-13-10, 06:02 PM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just use Michelin DH race tubes, 1.3mm butyl, it's a tube for down hill racing but instead of being very light, its "thornproof" weight. Cost more than a chinese tube, but far more reliable. Very consistent thickness, no thin spots. 26" up to 2.8" diameter.
Old 04-13-10, 06:09 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
A tire with the bead cut off inside a tire as a liner is very old school. It works very well. One of the old discovery team members said they do it and lose about 1 mph. That sounds about right. No problem for training. Not good for racing.
Old 04-15-10, 05:12 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grishnak
Looks OK,How would you cut a suitable tyre?Would the edges need smoothing?.I have seen marks on an innertube fron the edge of a liner.
I've had the edge of Mr. Tuffy tire liner eventually cause a long non-repairable tear in the inner tube, heck I've even had the edges of a carefully folded dollar bill boot cause a similar cut in my inner tube when I left it in my tire for a week or two. Based on my experience, I believe the inside surface of the tire's casing needs to be very smooth if you ride a lot, or you will have tube failures that cannot be patched (worse than normal puncture).

I ran over a large piece of glass today that opened my tire. I used a dollar bill to get me home. Yes my tire is rotten and should have been replaced already.
Old 04-16-10, 11:48 AM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation forum trolls

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users , or of otherwise disrupting on-topic discussion.[2]

Originally Posted by tatfiend
Please do not expect a pat on the back for having come up with what I would expect to be the heaviest possible pneumatic bike tire, no matter how puncture proof.

Last edited by jawnn; 04-16-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 11:49 AM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try using a thorn risistant tube.

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
I've had the edge of Mr. Tuffy tire liner eventually cause a long non-repairable tear in the inner tube, heck I've even had the edges of a carefully folded dollar bill boot cause a similar cut in my inner tube when I left it in my tire for a week or two. Based on my experience, I believe the inside surface of the tire's casing needs to be very smooth if you ride a lot, or you will have tube failures that cannot be patched (worse than normal puncture).

I ran over a large piece of glass today that opened my tire. I used a dollar bill to get me home. Yes my tire is rotten and should have been replaced already.
Old 04-16-10, 03:46 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thicker tubes to prevent a problem caused by tire liners?? I don't use tire liners, so I don't need a solution to that problem.
Old 04-17-10, 12:41 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I would use a new tire with the bead cut off, the sidewall left on and a thorn tube. But its hard to add an inside tire if using 1.5" tires. That’s why I started using 1.75" tires.

I can see most people will just have to live with an occasional flat tire. I also suspect that most people do not ride in bad weather.

You can also scrape the sharp edges of the Tuffy liners, they have a bad reputation for cutting tires

Last edited by jawnn; 06-14-10 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 09:30 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
OK,I now have 3 tyres on each of my folding bikes.No speed loss yet,still rolls down the hills as fast too.I will try is for the life of the back tyre.

Last edited by Grishnak; 06-16-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 11:24 AM
wattly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jawnn
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users , or of otherwise disrupting on-topic discussion.[2]
You can't ask just for positive feedback. Well, you can, but you shouldn't expect it. You're going to get feedback, both positive and negative. You were not trolled.

Some people aren't afraid of changing the occasional flat. Some would prefer to buy a higher quality tire/tube than go through the hassle of using two old tires.

If you don't want people to comment on your idea, keep it to yourself.
Old 05-31-10, 03:55 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Getting back on track regarding puncture proofing.

I like to use Kevlar bands between the tyre and the tube, along with adding either Slime or OKO to the inner tubes:

https://www.slime.com/category_3_Tire-Sealant.html

https://www.oko.com/default.aspx?Elem...er2&TopicID=60

Many British rural roads are plagued with thorns from the hedgerows, which has over the year caused many puntures in the tyres of my bikes and cars.

I have a preference for OKO, but only because I have used that in tyres from the 16 X 1.75's fitted to my bike trailer, right through to tyres on large agricultural and construction equipment ..... and I have never experienced a single problem or failure.
Old 06-02-10, 05:17 AM
Fred Mertz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to line my tires in the 70's with an old tire. It's old technology since we didn't have Mr.Tuffy's back then, but it worked very well. Kudos for thinking outside the box!
Old 06-02-10, 05:09 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is english your second language? because it's really poor. and you saying you only want positive feedback is laughable. whats the point of even posting it, at that point.
Old 06-02-10, 05:40 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vegenaise
is english your second language? because it's really poor. and you saying you only want positive feedback is laughable. whats the point of even posting it, at that point.
Well written.
Old 06-02-10, 06:23 PM
vegenaise
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Well written.
there is a difference between not knowing how to spell and not caring/being lazy about proper punctuation.

ex: "So now your saying that I am peranoid? The denial of this concept is incredable! And I didn't say 6 layers on one tire....actualy one extra tire works good.

I realy do not want to hear any more excusses about how this is a bad idea! I want to hear some POSITIVE feed back!

Do you run your tires untill they are nearly worn out? I do, and thats when they realy need an extra tire. As you can see in the photo there was still tred left when it opened up for no aperaent reason."
Old 06-09-10, 02:59 AM
WillJL
Eater of Food

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Follis Concorde Tandem, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to vegenaise and qmsdc15
Old 06-14-10, 12:32 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation more trolls than I can stand to be around

This is a classic Harassment encouraged by others. A fine example of how forums operate:

Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, avatars and signatures.

Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated.

wattly:
[2]You can't ask just for positive feedback

Originally Posted by vegenaise

there is a difference between not knowing how to spell and not caring/being lazy about proper punctuation.

Last edited by jawnn; 06-25-10 at 11:25 AM. Reason: clearification
Old 06-14-10, 12:33 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have decided to leave this thread here as an example of how people use character assassination to repress innovative radical thought.

Last edited by jawnn; 06-26-10 at 12:29 PM.