Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

So which TDF riders would you bet, never cheated.

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

So which TDF riders would you bet, never cheated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 07:02 PM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul Sherwen
Old 06-06-10, 06:22 AM
urodacus
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coppi, Indurain, and Pantani.

Well, maybe a little
Old 06-06-10, 08:29 AM
BikesAreCool123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
floyd. oh wait.
Old 06-07-10, 06:58 AM
headwind_hater
I was fast once

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heras
Landis
Valverde
Ullrich
Pantani
Armstrong
Basso

Here are both my arms, and I raise you a leg!
Old 06-07-10, 09:53 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rogwilco
I wouldn't take that bet for anyone, although there are some cyclists I would be disappointed in if they turn out to be doped.
+1
Old 06-07-10, 07:33 PM
BOBSONATOR
Klaus Pierre-Action Star

Bikes: 86' Samurai Shogun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sastre -- atleast i like to hope so.
Old 06-07-10, 07:41 PM
newey200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rasmussen
Pantani
Landis
Ullrich
Armstrong

:-) But in all honesty the one I would place a bet on not getting caught is the one I believe to have doped the most "Armstrong" sorry if I offends anybody:-).
Old 06-07-10, 07:42 PM
newey200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry Headwind never meant to steal but was writing when you were posting :-)
Old 06-08-10, 08:45 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sea Green Sky
Jens, Dave Z
lolz
Old 06-08-10, 09:28 AM
San Rensho 

Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Armstrong doped

"On August 23, 2005, L'Équipe, a major French daily sports newspaper, reported on its front page under the headline "le mensonge Armstrong" ("The Armstrong Lie") that 6 urine samples taken from the cyclist during the prologue and five stages of the 1999 Tour de France, frozen and stored since at "Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry" (LNDD), had tested positive for Erythropoietin in recent retesting conducted as part of a research project into EPO testing methods.[71][72] For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells. The world governing body of cycling, Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001, two years after the samples were taken. This claim was based on an investigation in which they claimed to be able to match samples from the 1999 Tour that were used to hone the EPO test to Armstrong.[73] To establish a link between Armstrong and the samples, Damien Ressiot[74], L'Equipe's reporter, matched the tracking numbers, with the indirect help of UCI and Lance Armstrong on the samples with those on Armstrong's record with the UCI during the 1999 Tour.
Armstrong immediately replied on his website, saying, "Unfortunately, the witch hunt continues and tomorrow's article is nothing short of tabloid journalism. The paper even admits in its own article that the science in question here is faulty and that I have no way to defend myself. They state: 'There will therefore be no counter-exam nor regulatory prosecutions, in a strict sense, since defendant's rights cannot be respected.' I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance enhancing drugs."[75]

In October 2008, the AFLD gave Armstrong the opportunity to have samples taken during the 1998 and 1999 Tours de France retested.[76] Armstrong immediately refused, saying, "the samples have not been maintained properly." Head of AFLD Pierre Bordry stated: "Scientifically there is no problem to analyse these samples - everything is correct" and "If the analysis is clean it would have been very good for him. But he doesn't want to do it and that's his problem."[77]"

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-08-10, 10:06 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Armstrong breaking news from 2005 . That's a yawner.

So he's the most successful doper in history .... or not. What are you or anyone else going to do about it? Not much .

Everyone wants the truth .... right? Right? Well ..... as good ol' Jack Nicholson once uttered in movie genius .... "You can't handle the truth!"

We can't handle the truth because everyone one of is corrupt to the core. We go around pointing fingers, but we don't have the guts to look in the mirror and see the monster that doing the pointing.
Old 06-08-10, 11:06 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
".. Armstrong the opportunity to have samples ... retested. Armstrong immediately refused..."

Given the $%&# that came out about AFLD in the Landis hearings, if I had the option I'd refuse too - guilty or innocent!

- Will Rogers
Old 06-08-10, 01:40 PM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by DMF
".. Armstrong the opportunity to have samples ... retested. Armstrong immediately refused..."

Given the $%&# that came out about AFLD in the Landis hearings, if I had the option I'd refuse too - guilty or innocent!
But do you believe Armstrong doped? Notice I'm not asking you if it has been PROVEN in a court of law whether he doped but whether YOU believe he doped.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-09-10, 10:45 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based on the evidence I have, no I don't. But I'm certainly open to revising my opinion, should some evidence arise.

Are you implying that my opinion somehow makes me biased?

- Will Rogers
Old 06-10-10, 01:19 AM
wheelgrabber

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jhugon;10906429]I may be naive, but I would doubt the following racers were into doping: Anquetil, Poulidor, Van Impe, Zootemelk, Coppi, Merckx, Ocana... How about Hinaut?

Anquetil’s recorded comment is that: “You would have to be an imbecile or a crook to imagine that a professional cyclist who races for 235 days a year can hold the pace without stimulants”

Anquetil also reportedly stated: “For 50 years bike racers have been taking stimulants. Obviously we can do without them in a race, but then we will pedal 15 miles an hour (instead of 25). Since we are constantly asked to go faster and to make even greater efforts, we are obliged to take stimulants”

I don't have another 30 seconds per rider to google their admissions of doping.

You might try reading before writing...

1)Hincapie
2)Indurain
3)Boardman
4)Zabriskie
5)Cadel Evans
Old 06-10-10, 12:19 PM
Blaireau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=wheelgrabber;10940241]
Originally Posted by jhugon
I may be naive, but I would doubt the following racers were into doping: Anquetil, Poulidor, Van Impe, Zootemelk, Coppi, Merckx, Ocana... How about Hinaut?

Anquetil’s recorded comment is that: “You would have to be an imbecile or a crook to imagine that a professional cyclist who races for 235 days a year can hold the pace without stimulants”

Anquetil also reportedly stated: “For 50 years bike racers have been taking stimulants. Obviously we can do without them in a race, but then we will pedal 15 miles an hour (instead of 25). Since we are constantly asked to go faster and to make even greater efforts, we are obliged to take stimulants”

I don't have another 30 seconds per rider to google their admissions of doping.

You might try reading before writing...

1)Hincapie
2)Indurain
3)Boardman
4)Zabriskie
5)Cadel Evans

Old 06-10-10, 01:16 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StumpJumperFSR
So which top 5 TDF cyclists would you choose as 100% PED free,
The ones getting dropped.
Old 06-11-10, 11:08 AM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by DMF
Based on the evidence I have, no I don't. But I'm certainly open to revising my opinion, should some evidence arise.

Are you implying that my opinion somehow makes me biased?
Not at all, I just wanted your real opinion.

I look at the question of whether Lance Armstrong doped his like the question of whether O.J. Simpson killed two people. Now in a court of law, O.J. Simpson was acquitted, but looking at all the evidence I BELIEVE it is more likely than not that he killed them. And with Lance Armstrong, his preserved samples were scientifically tested with a new test that was not available at the time he gave the samples and the tests were positive, so again, I believe it's more likely than not that he doped.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-11-10, 01:18 PM
headwind_hater
I was fast once

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say that it is very odd that Armstrong could have won all those tours by so much, against "dopers", without some help. Especially when some were physiologically similar to his capacities.

Sorry San Rensho, didn't mean to butt in to your post with DMF. Just my two cents.
Old 06-11-10, 05:59 PM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a suspicion that Evans is clean, based on the fact that he can't win. Then again he does come close, so if we are under the assumption that the cream dopes then he must be guilty too. Therein lies the problem of speculating about this stuff. It's just entertainment.
Old 06-12-10, 09:34 AM
TWD
Cervelo R3

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jens is clean, if not tell me last
Old 06-17-10, 11:48 AM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Team Radioshack is 100% clean.

So is Hincapie, Zabriskie, Vandavelde, Farrar, and other Americans.

Everyone else uses EPO twice a day, 363 days a year. They don't dope on Easter and Xmas due to Jesus.
Old 06-25-10, 06:15 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasz
I have a suspicion that Evans is clean, based on the fact that he can't win. Then again he does come close, so if we are under the assumption that the cream dopes then he must be guilty too. Therein lies the problem of speculating about this stuff. It's just entertainment.
Really can't see Evans as a cheater. He seems to thrive on the constant struggle too much. An Aussie mag did a comparison of his and LA's VoMax & other physiological stats - very similar, indicating similarly freakish genetics and physical make-up + years of work.....But maybe I'm naiive.

FWIW, when El Pistolero passed LA and the Schlecks going up Mt Ventoux last year my eyebrows went up so high they still haven't come down......
Old 06-25-10, 07:09 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ventoux? Don't you mean Verbier?
Old 06-25-10, 09:05 AM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelgrabber

1)Hincapie
2)Indurain
3)Boardman
4)Zabriskie
5)Cadel Evans
Boardman finished in the top five in the TDF?

I don't think Hincapie of Zabriskie have either, but at least they've finished a few Tours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.