Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Racing Wheels for a Non Racer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 07:28 AM
TheOtherZach
freak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Monday we'll be putting in an order for a custom geometry Gunnar and my bike shop has a fairly good deal on a pair of Mavik Ksyrium wheels. Do you guys think that would be a dumb wheelset to run for a 170 pound non-racer?

Also...

I currently have some Dura Ace 9speed bar ends , a 105 triple crank (6503), and a 105 FD (5503) laying around. What I would REALLY like to do is build the thing up with full SRAM Rival on day one. Unfortunately I can't really justify spending the money on a full group when I've got perfectly good parts available. I'm thinking of mixing and matching while slowly switching from Shimano to SRAM.

If I run the bar end shifters in friction, they would work with a 10 speed Rival rear derailer, right? Any problems running a 10 speed chain with a crankset made for 9 speed ones?

Thanks so much for the help, guys!
Old 06-13-10, 07:34 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If the wheels are a good deal get them. Lightweight wheels make the bike nicer to ride regardless of whether or not you are racing.

As for the shifters, if you use a 9 speed cassette, I'm pretty sure that shifters would work indexed as well as friction. I don't think the derailleur makes a difference. At any rate, in friction mode, it should work no problem. I also think the 10 speed chain would work with the 9 speed cranks.
Old 06-13-10, 08:12 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
you can friction shift any rear combination, so yes, what you want to do will work, including the 10-sp chain with the 9-sp crankset.
Old 06-13-10, 08:15 AM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I understand those Ksyriums are pretty bulletproof wheels. There are far worse choices for everyday wheels IMO.
Old 06-13-10, 08:17 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_F
From what I understand those Ksyriums are pretty bulletproof wheels. There are far worse choices for everyday wheels IMO.
yea, most folks would consider ksyriums training wheels, not race wheels.
Old 06-13-10, 09:34 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
yea, most folks would consider ksyriums training wheels, not race wheels.
I'd be one of those folks
Old 06-13-10, 09:38 AM
TheOtherZach
freak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, all! I didn't even think of running a 9 speed cassette with the Rival rear.

I guess there is some problem with SRAM mountain 9sp rear detailers and friction shifters and I wasn't sure if it extended to the SRAM road ones or not. Sounds like not, so that's good news.

Also good news about the Ksyriums, too. Think I'll go with those.
Old 06-13-10, 10:16 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you want to use index shifting, I think your SRAM derailleur should work with it. Shifters and cassettes are generally what need to match when it comes to indexing. If not, find a cheap 9 speed derailleur and use that. I have the DA bar end shifters with a Tiagra rear derailleur and love it.
Old 06-13-10, 11:07 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ksyriums are heavier, less aero, and less easy to service in the event of damage than a good pair of handbuilts. So I consider them neither as race wheels, nor really as practical training wheels. There's no special reason why you shouldn't get them if you think they look really sweet, but I suggest that you seriously consider some handbuilts in the same price range first.