Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will 700x25 tubes work in 700x28 tires?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 05:33 PM
bernmart

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm so tired of getting beat up by the crummy roads in LA that I'm going to try switching from Continental 700x23 tires to 700x28 Gatorskins. Problem is, I have a bunch of new tubes labelled 700x23-25.

Any chance these will work OK in the new tires, or should I get fatter tubes?
Old 06-08-10, 05:38 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
They are fine. What'll happen is that if you get a puncture the air will tend to leak out a little faster. But if the gatorskins do their job you won't need to worry about finding out how much faster. In any event they'll work fine. For the future purchases you'll want to get the correct size though.
Old 06-08-10, 05:46 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on the quality of the tube, if it will stretch enough. some tubes are specifically only for that size and will burst if they go any higher.
Old 06-08-10, 06:29 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Mo
It really depends on the quality of the tube, if it will stretch enough. some tubes are specifically only for that size and will burst if they go any higher.
I tend to ride larger tires, I also tend to buy cheap tubes, and in all my time mixing cheap, undersized tubes with much larger tires, I have never seen this happen.

Also, I've seen the stock Huffy tubes expand to several times their original size when someone misunderstands, 'put a little air into it so you can find the leak.'
Old 06-08-10, 09:28 PM
furballi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old tubes will work great with 700x28. I even use the cheap $1.80 Nashbar 700x25 tube with Michelin City 700x32. No problemo.

You may need the Brooks Flyer or equivalent to tame LA roads. The Nashbar Grand Vintage is a cheap knock-off of this Brooks. Works reasonably well for me. I paid $13 last week.
Old 06-08-10, 10:22 PM
bernmart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for all the replies, and for the encouragement. Now if I can just get the damned things on the rims!
Old 06-08-10, 10:43 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bernmart
Many thanks for all the replies, and for the encouragement. Now if I can just get the damned things on the rims!
Watch out for pinching the tube or for the tube not wanting to sit under the bead wire. Pull the bead back from the rim to ensure that the tube is not trapped under the bead wire where it can herniate out. Mounting bigger tires to smaller rims seems to encourage this sort of behaviour.

Also remember that the key is to keep centering the bead that is already on the rim. If you keep centering the bead of the already mounted portion it'll make the last part slip over a lot more easily. The tighter it feels for the last bit the more important it is to re-center the mounted portion repeatedly. A little air in the tube can aid with the first part but once you're trying to flip the last bit of bead over the rim let all the air out. Just be careful that the tube isn't being pinched between the rim and tire bead with your tire lever. And take SMALL bites with the lever. The smaller the easier.

As you can see it's about the small things that seem so basic. But when done well the tire will go on with hardly a care or bead of sweat. You think bicycle tires are bad? Try mounting tires on a dirt motorcycle ! ! ! ! ! Bicycles will seem like eating cake after those!
Old 06-08-10, 11:03 PM
furballi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lube the tire's beads with soapy water. Mount one side of the tire. Add tube. Slightly inflate the tube before mounting the other side of the tire. Avoid the use of tire lever if possible.

The Continental Gator Hardshell with wire bead provides better flat protection. I ride in OC and prefer the Michelin City 700x32/700x28. A fast, light tire with low rolling resistance is of little value if you constantly have to navigate around potholes and road hazards. Wider city tires provide better traction on rough roads, which will often result in a faster commute.

I see too many novices with skinny expensive 700x23 tires at 120 psi bouncing up and down like a ping pong ball. Keep the pressure between 70-80 psi on those 28 Contis.
Old 06-09-10, 02:54 AM
mjoekingz28

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike has a 23c tire and I needed tubes on Sunday and Walmart was open. The closest they had was a 25c-34c. Bought two and they're working fine, so I don't see how going the other way would be bad either.
Old 06-09-10, 07:28 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not actually true. I can take any tube at all, inflate it outside of the tire to 2 or 3x the spec'd diameter without it bursting, and no tube will ever burst inside a tire. At worst it will fail at a seam or from excessive stretching or folding and deflate somewhat quickly.
Old 06-12-10, 03:10 PM
bernmart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All's well! Tires installed easily, despite (because of?) having wire beads. Smaller diameter tubes seem to work just fine, as several of you assured that that they would. Many, many thanks for your suggestions and reassurances.

BTW, switching from 23s to 28s makes a distinct difference in comfort over bumps, and even some welcome extra stability in fast downhill turns.
Old 06-17-10, 09:37 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Not actually true. I can take any tube at all, inflate it outside of the tire to 2 or 3x the spec'd diameter without it bursting, and no tube will ever burst inside a tire. At worst it will fail at a seam or from excessive stretching or folding and deflate somewhat quickly.
I am basing my experience from desperately trying to use nashbar 23s on a 25 tire.
Old 10-06-12, 11:39 AM
scottspeedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bernmart
I'm so tired of getting beat up by the crummy roads in LA that I'm going to try switching from Continental 700x23 tires to 700x28 Gatorskins. Problem is, I have a bunch of new tubes labelled 700x23-25.

Any chance these will work OK in the new tires, or should I get fatter tubes?
I feel you I'm surprised with Pasadena, a lot of streets need fixing.
Old 10-06-12, 12:29 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am basing my experience from desperately trying to use nashbar 23s on a 25 tire.
They work fine inside the 38mm tires on my touring bike. But they do deflate more quickly in the event of a flat.
Old 10-06-12, 12:53 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
As FB said a tube will never "burst" inside a tire - it has to escape to do that, which requires either a tire defect or improper mounting.
Old 10-06-12, 11:40 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 461 Posts
Yes.
Old 10-07-12, 04:34 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 648 Posts
The tubes are just fine no problems yet Gatorskins are overpriced and overaited and only soso when it comes to toughness.