Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

200 miles or bust

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 05:54 PM
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
200 miles or bust

Longest ride ever tomorrow. 200 miles over the course of 2 days. Do they make such a thing as a replaceable a s s?
Old 06-24-10, 06:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
That's the "ride your a$$ off" part of riding I believe.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-10, 04:37 AM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy!! Looking forward to the ride report.
Old 06-25-10, 06:01 AM
DazarGaidin

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick release buttocks ..booyah
Old 06-25-10, 09:01 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you're fitted well on your bike, then it will be no problem. Is this a supported or unsupported ride? My longest ride was an unsupported 253 miler (400km) in 24.5 hours and while I was sore the next day, I certainly didn't need any replacement body parts.

Make sure to take plenty of pictures for your ride report!
Old 06-25-10, 09:27 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If you're fitted well on your bike, then it will be no problem. Is this a supported or unsupported ride? My longest ride was an unsupported 253 miler (400km) in 24.5 hours and while I was sore the next day, I certainly didn't need any replacement body parts.

Make sure to take plenty of pictures for your ride report!
I'll help out with some photos when I meet Big Ugly at Green Lane.

Old 06-25-10, 10:41 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigUgly
Longest ride ever tomorrow. 200 miles over the course of 2 days. Do they make such a thing as a replaceable a s s?
You, too?

What ride are you doing?

I'm doing this one:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Skyline-Drive-100

Front Royal to Waynesboro on Saturday, returning Sunday to Front Royal.
Old 06-26-10, 02:32 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by The Historian
I'll help out with some photos when I meet Big Ugly at Green Lane.
Either I missed BigUgly or he wasn't able to complete the ride. I headed up the trail from Spring Mount at 11:30 and was at Crusher Road and Ridge Road by noon. After riding up and down the trail, I headed into Green Lane park. I waited a few minutes at Deep Creek Lake and then headed slowly back, stopping frequently and from time to time heading back up the trail. I asked several cyclists if they had seen a big guy on a tandem, but no one had. By 2:30 I was back at the car.

Old 06-26-10, 04:19 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
You can say ass.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-27-10, 03:20 PM
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Either I missed BigUgly or he wasn't able to complete the ride. I headed up the trail from Spring Mount at 11:30 and was at Crusher Road and Ridge Road by noon. After riding up and down the trail, I headed into Green Lane park. I waited a few minutes at Deep Creek Lake and then headed slowly back, stopping frequently and from time to time heading back up the trail. I asked several cyclists if they had seen a big guy on a tandem, but no one had. By 2:30 I was back at the car.
I must apologize Historian we didn't get to Green Lane until 6:30 PM. The 2nd day did not go as planned. After 4 miles a rider who joined me was getting sick and had to jump in the SAG wagon and then Hawk Mountain slowed us way down(it was steeper then the mountains on day 1) along with the fact that some roads on MapMyRide didn't even exist!!! We now call it CrapMyRide!!! We rolled into Kutztown around 2:30 with me having severe knee pain and grabbed lunch in an air conditioned restaurant to cool down. Along with the many, many rollers, extreme heat, bad cue sheets, and knee pain we were going at a snails pace. I did complete the ride which was a total of 207 miles (CrapMyRide listed 193 but whats an xtra 14 miles at that point) and reached my final destination at 8:30 PM. I will post a complete ride report in the next couple of days. I don't have many pics since I was riding but the support folks I had along the way did and I will post some when they are made available to me. We will get together for a ride this year somewhere in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-27-10, 03:24 PM
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bone Head
Enjoy!! Looking forward to the ride report.
I will write up a ride report. Saw some neat things along the way but didn't take many pictures. Your alternate into Minersville was exactly what was needed and the perfect time in the ride. Riding along 901 was a bit suckish until that 15 mile descent into town. I must say drivers btwn Pottsville and through Orwigsburg were not very friendly. I remember you mentioning that people in that neck of the woods are not used to cyclists on the road. Once we got to Hawk Mountain drivers seemed friendlier.
Old 06-27-10, 03:32 PM
Neil_B

I must apologize Historian we didn't get to Green Lane until 6:30 PM. The 2nd day did not go as planned. After 4 miles a rider who joined me was getting sick and had to jump in the SAG wagon and then Hawk Mountain slowed us way down(it was steeper then the mountains on day 1) along with the fact that some roads on MapMyRide didn't even exist!!! We now call it CrapMyRide!!! We rolled into Kutztown around 2:30 with me having severe knee pain and grabbed lunch in an air conditioned restaurant to cool down. Along with the many, many rollers, extreme heat, bad cue sheets, and knee pain we were going at a snails pace. I did complete the ride which was a total of 207 miles (CrapMyRide listed 193 but whats an xtra 14 miles at that point) and reached my final destination at 8:30 PM. I will post a complete ride report in the next couple of days. I don't have many pics since I was riding but the support folks I had along the way did and I will post some when they are made available to me. We will get together for a ride this year somewhere in your neck of the woods.
No apologies are needed, BigUgly. I'm glad you are OK, and besides, anyone who can climb this peak owes me nothing.

That's the south overlook on Hawk Mountain. The road BigUgly climbed starts along the Little Schuylkill River in the middle of the photo. These photos were taken only 200 yards from the road at the top of the mountain.

Old 06-27-10, 03:41 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
You can say ass.
Huh. Huh. Huhuhuhuh. Huh.

He said, "ass."

Huhuhuhuh.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-28-10, 10:19 AM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did complete the ride which was a total of 207 miles
Congrats to you Sir! Awesome display of "stick-to-it-ness" and fitness!
Old 06-28-10, 02:04 PM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Done!! You should be proud of your accomplishment.
What was your route into Minersville? We discussed a few different options.
I'd like to apologize on behalf of the 'Coal Crackers' if they didn't mind their manners...

I did notice on MapMyRide and Google that some of the dirt roads (trails) in Sch. Co. were indicated as roads. Not good.