Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How often do you change your tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How often do you change your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 05:23 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Flats have little correlation with the life left in the tire (absent a flat that damages the casing). You could flat a brand new tire 3 times in a 100 miles by being unfortunate enough to find the wrong pieces of glass, rocks, etc on the road, and the tire would be fine.

Conversely, you could be fortunate enough to wear the tire to the cord without getting your third flat.

Tire in scenario Number one doesn't need replaced; tire in scenario number 2 does need replaced.

Admittedly a tire with less tread due to wear is somewhat more prone to flat. However, if its worn to that point why wait for three flats before you deal with it?
It may just be the road conditions where I ride, but I've noticed a high correlation between flats and tire wear. I've never worn one down to the cords, but they frequently get the point where they flat if I look at them funny.
Old 06-28-10, 05:28 PM
cotatrials

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally, I change them as needed
Old 06-28-10, 05:40 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
When the cord is showing through the rubber.
Yup

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-28-10, 05:55 PM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I never use the same tires twice. I'm kinda rich.
Old 06-28-10, 05:58 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
When cords start showing or if there is a huge gash/cut that cannot be booted nor repaired.
+1
Old 06-28-10, 08:09 PM
wacomme

Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Michelin Pro Race 3 rear tire has worn flat and cords are starting to show. It needs replacing. However, the front tire still looks good. Perhaps I'll be able to get life out of two rear tires for one front tire.
Old 06-28-10, 08:16 PM
kneed2wrydemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few mm of rubber/cord is all that's between me and a trip to the ER. I feel like a little extra jingle spent on fresh rubber is much cheaper than ending up in the hospital, not to mention lost wages. To run your tires down to the cords is just crazy....Change em sooner, rather than later.

Any hoo, to answer your questions and not preach/Debbie Down, I plan on swapping out my Conti GP 4000Ss somewhere around the 3000 mile mark. Still, nowhere near the cords though.......

Last edited by kneed2wrydemore; 06-28-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 09:33 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kneed2wrydemore
A few mm of rubber/cord is all that's between me and a trip to the ER. The extra jingle spent on fresh rubber is much cheaper than a trip to the ER, not to mention lost wages. To run your tires down to the cords is just crazy....Change em sooner, rather than later.

Any hoo, to answer your questions and not preach/Debbie Down, I'm changing my Conti GP 4000Ss around 3000 miles. Still, nowhere near the cords though.......
+1 ...never run them down to the cords, the tires I take off can be used on the trainer in winter.
Old 06-29-10, 12:51 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the rear tyre gets squared off, I bin it and rotate front to back and put the new one on the front. Racing tyres I replace as soon as they look at all square, winter training tyres I have another tyre with the bead cut off inside to prevent punctures, so I let them get right down to the carcass before I replace them.
Old 06-29-10, 03:25 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I ride Conti GP 4000s on my clincher wheels. The kevlar beads tend to wear out before the tread. When that happens the tire starts getting a lot of pinch flats because you can't properly seat the tube without it sneaking under the bead. In other words the beads lose their rigidity. This is a bigger issue with deep dish rims like my Williams or Zipps, but also to a lesser degree with regular rims. This tends to happen after 2000-3000 miles, and often the tires appear to have tread life left in them. But after numerous pinch flats I replace the tire. Then I stop getting flats.
Old 06-29-10, 09:06 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PeddlingPilgrim
my michelin pro race 3s last about 3 mo., then they are a bit leveled off on top and i will start to get flats. i hate being out on a ride, getting a flat and seeing the cords so i just replace them @ this point.
Originally Posted by lennyparis
I have these tires also
How many miles over the three months do you put on tires?
See some nicks and had one recent flat
I just noticed last night that there is some chord showing and a couple of nicks that are like a small flap of rubber on my rear PR3. About 2200-2500 miles. Front tire still looks to have good life yet, although I'll give it a closer look this evening. And zero flats on these tires.

Edit to add: And, a new pair of PR3s are on their way from PBK for less than $60. This thread (and others) had me thinking I'd go with the Conti 4000S but they were $74 a pair.

Last edited by telebianchi; 06-29-10 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 09:14 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rm -rf
My GP4000S rear tire still has some of the two tread wear indicator pits showing at 3800 miles / 6100 km. There's a few more cuts in the rubber down to the cords, and I can see that the rubber layer is very thin. When the tread wear indicators are worn off, there really isn't any tread left, and the cords will be showing soon.

The front has essentially no wear, but I can see micro cracking in the rubber surface. I'll be moving this tire to the back and putting a new one on the front. It'll be interesting to see if it lasts as long on the back as the original rear tire did.

No flats on these tires so far.
3800 miles flat-free? Whoa. And I thought my 1740 miles flat-free was impressive.
Old 06-29-10, 09:26 AM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Usually get about 4-5 thousand miles on the rear tire and twice that on the front. The rear tires I use until the cords are very evident; front ones I try to rotate to the rear before they get to that point.
Old 06-29-10, 09:49 AM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very disappointed with my Vittoria Diamante Pros. I only got 1700 miles out of the rear tire till the flats just kept coming. Probably changing to GP 4000s
Old 06-29-10, 10:24 AM
njkayaker

Liked 1,498 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
It may just be the road conditions where I ride, but I've noticed a high correlation between flats and tire wear. I've never worn one down to the cords, but they frequently get the point where they flat if I look at them funny.
There is a causal link between a worn tire and the frequency of flats. merlinextraligh's comment is a bit confused about this but he (basically) agrees with you.

The "replace after having three flats" rule makes no sense (it's extraordinarily wasteful).

Replace tires when they are worn (and, maybe sometimes, frequency of flats is a measure of being worn).

Originally Posted by Machka
I follow my three-flat guideline ... after three flats, I'll usually change the tire. Unless, of course, the flats had nothing to do with the tire ... such as flats caused by dislodged rim tape.
This doesn't make a lot of sense. (I've gotten flats on spanking-new tires!)

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-29-10 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 11:07 AM
tobycat

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Moots Vamoots SL, Litespeed Classic, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I change them before they need changing. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 06-29-10, 11:29 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The "replace after having three flats" rule makes no sense (it's extraordinarily wasteful).

Replace tires when they are worn (and, maybe sometimes, frequency of flats is a measure of being worn).
I agree, I don't count flats or anything. It's not like most flats damage the tire. I replace the tire when I get a bunch of flats close together. Also the tire is usually squared off at that point. So squared off and a bunch of flats in close proximity = replace tire.
Old 06-29-10, 12:42 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will replace a tire once it has been compromised. Here are the most common reasons I have replaced a tire.

*bubble in sidewall
*cords showing
*multiple flats and showing significant wear
*large enough holes to see daylight through inside of tire

As long as the tire is safe to be at full pressure, it then becomes a tire for running on the trainer.