Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ok to ask lbs to refund the difference when swapping a fork?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 07:56 PM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i'm thinking of pre-ordering a trek cobia for $860 and have lbs swap the suspension fork with a cheap rigid fork. then i put the suspension fork on ebay OR ask the lbs to refund me a fraction of the msrp of the suspension fork. the latter is convenient for me and lbs can make some profit. roughly speaking the msrp of the suspension on the cobia is ~$300 which is big money. i'm prepared to ebay it but would it be reasonable to even propose a partial refund? any advice will be appreciated. thanks!
Old 06-30-10, 08:13 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No LBS I know would do that, hard to sell a fork alone, unless it's a high-end shop.
Old 06-30-10, 08:44 PM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks. then i won't even bother asking then. i'd be pushing it anyway at $300. i'll just ebay it. should be easy to sell. the cobia comes with hornet hydraulic disc brakes. would it be too much to ask them to swap the hydraulics for mechanical bb7s as an even exchange? this is the only swap i'll request and otherwise the cobia is perfect for me.
Old 07-01-10, 04:08 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Switching the calipers also means switching the brake levers. Personally I think it's an unreasonable request.

But then again, I think by the time you dump the fork (which isn't worth $300 BTW) and swap the brakes you should have just bought a different bike.
Old 07-01-10, 06:33 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Take-offs go for a fraction of the MSRP, so the shop would lose big-time in that deal. Most shops will upgrade parts at time of purchase, at a discount, but a discount for down-grading? Nowhere I'm aware of.
Old 07-01-10, 07:07 AM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CCrew
Switching the calipers also means switching the brake levers. Personally I think it's an unreasonable request.

But then again, I think by the time you dump the fork (which isn't worth $300 BTW) and swap the brakes you should have just bought a different bike.
thank you all for clarifying for me how much / what swapping is reasonable or unreasonable. sounds to me like the most someone should ask for is to swap a stem or maybe a tire. that's fine, i don't mean to be a tough customer. i like my lbs - he's a good guy. i'm glad i asked here first.

i want only a 29er and nothing else. this is a relatively new development that is not tried and tested. so i want to buy the 29er from a company that is tried and tested and that i've had good experience with. that's trek. but they don't sell 29ers with rigid forks so i have to swap. as for the brakes...i'll tolerate hydraulics

ccrew, i asked in the mtbr forum for a rough estimate and heard $300. whatever the value is fine with me.
Old 07-01-10, 07:09 AM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Take-offs go for a fraction of the MSRP, so the shop would lose big-time in that deal. Most shops will upgrade parts at time of purchase, at a discount, but a discount for down-grading? Nowhere I'm aware of.
Oh, OK, thanks. I was not aware of this. For a lot of you guys this is obvious & common sense because you have a lot of experience buying bikes I am a newbie.
Old 07-01-10, 03:32 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
Have you considered a Surly Karate Monkey? AFAIK they are well proven, tried and tested, and can be spec'd any way you'd like.
Old 07-01-10, 03:45 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on the Karate Monkey. If you're swapping forks out, may as well just get a frame that matches your needs.

Besides, if you run it with a derailleur, you can use their "monkey nuts," which should make any human being with a pulse happy.
Old 07-01-10, 06:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
why are you buying a bike with front suspension and hydraulic brakes if you don't want one?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-01-10, 07:39 PM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
why are you buying a bike with front suspension and hydraulic brakes if you don't want one?
because i want a bike with tires 2"+ wide, slack geometry, handlebars a little higher due to geometry, reputable company like trek that gives lifetime warranty, good value (can you beat this for $860?).

the karate monkey is indeed tried and tested. i don't know if this is as good of a value as the trek. i'd want a karate monkey with (1) durable, tubeless ready wheels. i don't care about weight (2) deore shifters + derailers + crank (3) avid bb7 disc brakes. i hear that it is cheaper to buy a complete bike like a trek cobia than to buy individual parts. i imagine that the karate monkey will be significantly more expensive but i'll check it out. i do like the fact that it is steel though.

as for brakes, a lot of bikes come with either hydraulics that need to be bled once a year (i don't need the extra stopping power) or mechanicals like the tektro novela or avid bb5s which have horrible reviews and need constant adjusting. the bb7 is easy to adjust, isn't a pain like the bb5s or the novela, and doesn't need to be bled.

i am being very specific with what i want.

trek cobia: 860
avid bb7 + sd7 levers: 100
surly karate monkey fork only: 70
tax: 0 (will drive 20 minutes to delaware)
total: 1030

ebay: i have spoken to several people and should be able to sell the fork for $200. these promax hornets are supposedly 125 per wheel (nonsense!) but i'll sell them for $100. total is $300 - 15% ebay fee = $250.

1030-250 = 780 easy. not bad!

as for having the lbs do a swap...this is a pre-order where the bike will come partially assembled...i'm not asking the lbs for any refunds so that's not a problem...as for the labor...i'm not sure...if i have to pay a couple of bucks (i doubt it)...i'll do it...but these guys are professionals who do this stuff quite easily everyday...man it's good to have some nice bike shops near me!
Old 07-02-10, 07:19 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While the bike comes partially assembled, the fork is installed before the shop gets the bike.
Old 07-02-10, 10:33 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=common man;11049317i hear that it is cheaper to buy a complete bike like a trek cobia than to buy individual parts. i imagine that the karate monkey will be significantly more expensive but i'll check it out. i do like the fact that it is steel though.
[/QUOTE]

Sure, but you're planning to buy a complete bike, part it out to pay for the bike, and start building. Not the same principle.
Old 07-03-10, 06:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by common man
because i want a bike with tires 2"+ wide, slack geometry, handlebars a little higher due to geometry, reputable company like trek that gives lifetime warranty, good value (can you beat this for $860?).

the karate monkey is indeed tried and tested. i don't know if this is as good of a value as the trek. i'd want a karate monkey with (1) durable, tubeless ready wheels. i don't care about weight (2) deore shifters + derailers + crank (3) avid bb7 disc brakes. i hear that it is cheaper to buy a complete bike like a trek cobia than to buy individual parts. i imagine that the karate monkey will be significantly more expensive but i'll check it out. i do like the fact that it is steel though.

as for brakes, a lot of bikes come with either hydraulics that need to be bled once a year (i don't need the extra stopping power) or mechanicals like the tektro novela or avid bb5s which have horrible reviews and need constant adjusting. the bb7 is easy to adjust, isn't a pain like the bb5s or the novela, and doesn't need to be bled.

i am being very specific with what i want.

trek cobia: 860
avid bb7 + sd7 levers: 100
surly karate monkey fork only: 70
tax: 0 (will drive 20 minutes to delaware)
total: 1030

ebay: i have spoken to several people and should be able to sell the fork for $200. these promax hornets are supposedly 125 per wheel (nonsense!) but i'll sell them for $100. total is $300 - 15% ebay fee = $250.

1030-250 = 780 easy. not bad!

as for having the lbs do a swap...this is a pre-order where the bike will come partially assembled...i'm not asking the lbs for any refunds so that's not a problem...as for the labor...i'm not sure...if i have to pay a couple of bucks (i doubt it)...i'll do it...but these guys are professionals who do this stuff quite easily everyday...man it's good to have some nice bike shops near me!
You're asking the wrong people. None of us are selling bikes in your area so out opinion isn't really worth very much. My feeling is that's a boat load of extra shop work which equates to a zero profit sale. If you can find somebody who will do it for that price great but, honestly, I wouldn't so it.
Old 07-03-10, 08:58 AM
common man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my original question in the thread was if it's ok to ask the lbs for a refund for swapped parts. i found the answer as a clear NO! and i appreciate that.

as for swapping forks and brakes, i visited my lbs this morning and he's totally cool with it and he said no charge even though i didn't even ask that. you guys gotta give the lbs a little more credit..they're professionals...

i made two modifications and that bike will never ever need any tweaking. it will be maintenance free save for occasionally degreasing, lubing, and riding properly. i often hear people say, "upgrade the components later" etc...so i've taken care of that now...i know what i want. someone will say they're not the same thing...that you pay for the labor of upgrades... they both require labor from the lbs (perhaps more for the upgrades")...as for labor rate...i'm more than happy to pay if necessary...this is america...if i want something particular and can pay for it...i should get it...
Old 07-03-10, 12:57 PM
phatjonny

Bikes: Cannondale H200

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Enjoy it!

Throw up pic.
Old 07-03-10, 01:08 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is never unreasonable to ask for a discount. Whether you get it or not will not make or break you.
Old 07-03-10, 07:46 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by common man
it will be maintenance free save for occasionally degreasing, lubing, and riding properly. :

The only bike that is maintenance free is on that sits in the garage and is never ridden.