Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Big Dummy vs. Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Big Dummy vs. Long Haul Trucker

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 11:06 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
"The long wheelbase of the BD also makes the most stable touring rig I've owned and it acts like suspension to really smooth out rough roads or dirt tracks."

The Surly Kool-aid (always tasty) aside, there are touring bikes that meet that criteria without having started out as utility bikes. What I see in the lifestyle secion above is, short of criterium racing and the tour de france, a very versatile bike and a lot of people having a lot of fun. Makes me suspicious that this bike is not optimized for touring. Surly could come out tommorow with a Big Dummy LT touring edition, and I wonder how many people with a penchant for buying every Surly frame made would still insist on taking the Big Dummy out in it's place on their tours. Somewhere inside the Big Dummy is a touring appropriate frame waiting to get out, if it makes it out it won't be an original idea since tandem length touring bikes have been popular for decades.
People tour on folding bikes, racing bikes as well as cheap mountain bikes. You can "optimize" anything to your liking. How isn't a Big Dummy "optimized" for touring? It's steel, it can carry large cargo easily, it has 26" wheels, upright riding position that can be tweaked to your liking like any other bike, it's stable and smooth according to everyone who owns it. The only drawback is that the frame is relatively heavy and the length of it may prevent people from taking it on a train, but that's also true for tandems many recumbents and bikes with trailers. People toured on BDs successfully AFAIK.

What's your vision of touring optimized BD other than lighter frame?
Old 07-04-10, 06:43 PM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vik
Thanks..been busy moving and riding my bikes...my new home has a mandatory helmet law, but I'm bad ass so I'm just wearing a ball cap or toque...waiting for my first $30 fine!...
Ha Ha! i was just going to comment on that and your non helmet preference (me too) and further down the thread there it was.
I was wondering about that law out there. Im assuming you have friends out there,whats the scoop? Do they enforce it do you know?
Man im jealous,Victoria. But semi retired and sure couldnt afford to live there and at my age, doubtful i could find partime work to subsidize living there.sigh!
Old 07-04-10, 07:27 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
here is a ton on the subject of Dummy and touring...
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391518&page=8
and
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=519016

better yet...
here is a more precise...
that is a tour i did around Humboldt... last year I think...
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391518&page=10
Old 07-05-10, 08:37 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AsanaCycles
here is a ton on the subject of Dummy and touring...
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391518&page=8
and
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=519016

better yet...
here is a more precise...
that is a tour i did around Humboldt... last year I think...
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391518&page=10
Aw man, it requires login to view pictures!?
Old 07-05-10, 08:38 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ddez
Ha Ha! i was just going to comment on that and your non helmet preference (me too) and further down the thread there it was.
I was wondering about that law out there. Im assuming you have friends out there,whats the scoop? Do they enforce it do you know?
Man im jealous,Victoria. But semi retired and sure couldnt afford to live there and at my age, doubtful i could find partime work to subsidize living there.sigh!
I haven't got a ticket yet riding without a helmet in BC...we'll see what happens...most people are wearing them here, but I see a few folks without. I do wear helmets for mtn biking, road riding and anytime my risk levels are high...I don't wear one to go collect a latte or pick up a DVD.

As for living in Victoria....rents are reasonable and so are housing prices as long as you don't live in the centre of Victoria...there are 400,00 folks here and it's the BC provincial capital so there are lots of jobs available unless you are in a niche industry like bio-tech or something of that nature.

Last edited by vik; 07-05-10 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-05-10, 03:19 PM
crawdaddio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this was already mentioned.
I have a friend who did a month long tour of the east coast on a Bilenky Cargo Bike, and he was carrying ALOT of weight (camera equipment). He, of course designed the gearing right, and absolutely loved it. He used one of the models with the main 'cargo area' at the front of the bike. I got to ride it around a little and I was surprised at how well it handled.
They are pricey, however. They build incredibly well made custom bicycles, and I think they are a great company. They will add S & S couplers at your request, which would help with your travel issues.

Just an idea...

https://www.bilenky.com/Photo_Gallery-Cargo_Bikes.html
Old 01-04-12, 09:53 AM
paintpunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everybody,
So I did my biking and oil painting tour...it was great I enjoyed the hell out of it (see my blog rustbeltride.blogspot.com )
Anyway, since doing the tour (which ended up being about 2,000 miles) I have some insight into what kind of set-up would work best for this kind of adventure. For the amount of stuff I carry, I think that a trailer (probably a B.O.B. trailer) plus a bike with rear panniers would work best. On the trip I just took I rode a 56cm long haul trucker with 26" wheels, no trailer. I didn't expecially like how the 26" wheels handled in my frame size, so I am going to sell the bike. My question is, should I just get another LHT frame sized for 700c, or would something like a crosscheck work alright (or even better). Again, I'd like a bike that will hold rear panniers and pull a trailer. On the LHT I'm worried that it might not handle as well since it's designed to carry a load dispersed into 4 panniers, and in the crosscheck i'm worried about heel clearance and the horizontal dropouts. The next trip I plan to take is across the U.S., so 700c should work fine, but I do need a bike that can stand up to a beating, nonetheless. Thoughts, advice?
Old 04-23-12, 04:37 PM
jonahc

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 2.0, 77' Fuji S10S LTD,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paintpunk
Hey everybody,
So I did my biking and oil painting tour...it was great I enjoyed the hell out of it (see my blog rustbeltride.blogspot.com )
Anyway, since doing the tour (which ended up being about 2,000 miles) I have some insight into what kind of set-up would work best for this kind of adventure. For the amount of stuff I carry, I think that a trailer (probably a B.O.B. trailer) plus a bike with rear panniers would work best. On the trip I just took I rode a 56cm long haul trucker with 26" wheels, no trailer. I didn't expecially like how the 26" wheels handled in my frame size, so I am going to sell the bike. My question is, should I just get another LHT frame sized for 700c, or would something like a crosscheck work alright (or even better). Again, I'd like a bike that will hold rear panniers and pull a trailer. On the LHT I'm worried that it might not handle as well since it's designed to carry a load dispersed into 4 panniers, and in the crosscheck i'm worried about heel clearance and the horizontal dropouts. The next trip I plan to take is across the U.S., so 700c should work fine, but I do need a bike that can stand up to a beating, nonetheless. Thoughts, advice?
I tour on a cross check mostly, trailer works fine with rear panniers. Heel strike can be an issue I remedy by pushing panniers as far back on my rack as possible...